Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-12-2019, 08:45 PM   #1461
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
Well I USED to like her, but anti-vaxxers rhetoric makes me feel subhuman. Autism is not worse than a pandemic.
Anti-vaxxers don't have any concept of statistics or scale and that is a real big problem. Since the MMR vaccinations started in 1971 with over 100 million doses, there have only been 1-9 confirmed complications which mostly just made people sick. In 2017, 100000 people died from the measles.

Extremely small chance of maybe getting sick > high chance of death.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:08 PM   #1462
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anti-vaxxers in New York are now starting a campaign to home school their kids so they can get around the state's new mandatory vaccination rules.

Quote:
Anti-vaccine advocates in New York are encouraging parents to homeschool their children rather than protect them from serious diseases, according to a recent report in The Wall Street Journal.

The move by New York anti-vaccine groups comes just weeks after state lawmakers eliminated exemptions that allowed parents to opt their children out of standard school vaccination requirements on the basis of religious beliefs. Very few religions actually have objections to vaccinations, and the ones that do tend to have relatively few followers. But many parents who reject vaccines based on falsehoods and misinformation about their safety have claimed religious objections as a way to dodge immunization requirements.

While some parents in attendance said they were hopeful that the state would reinstate religious exemptions, others said that homeschooling their children is the “only option we have at this point.” One mother said she would quit her part-time job as a fashion designer to homeschool her three unvaccinated children. “I need to quit everything I’m doing to become an educator,” she said.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...r-kids-health/
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:11 PM   #1463
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Then New York should make learning about vaccinations part of the home school curriculum where students cannot get their science credits without proving an understanding of vaccines and how they work.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #1464
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

You got to love parents who are too stupid to understand vaccines but are able to come up with clever ways around government vaccination rules.

In Australia they introduced a No Jab No Pay policy which stops government payments to anti-vaxxers. In the 3 years since it was implemented the vaccination rate has increased from 90 to 95%. Probably the only way to get through to these tools is via their pocket book.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #1465
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You wouldn’t think we’d need the FDA to tell us not to drink bleach, but here’s the world we live in: if you try to look up alternative treatments for cancer or autism, sooner or later you’ll likely hear about a “Miracle Mineral Solution.”
This solution is made with sodium chlorite, and instructions will tell you to mix it with citric acid or with juice; that reaction creates a bleaching chemical called chlorine dioxide. (MMS proponents will tell you it’s not technically bleach, but we’ll let the FDA have the last word here: one section of the recent warning is titled “MMS consumers are drinking bleach.” Here’s what they have to say about its alleged therapeutic properties:

Some distributors are making false—and dangerous—claims that Miracle Mineral Supplement mixed with citric acid is an antimicrobial, antiviral, and antibacterial liquid that is a remedy for autism, cancer, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, flu, and other conditions. But the FDA is not aware of any research showing that these products are safe or effective for treating any illness. Using these products may cause you to delay other treatments that have been shown to be safe and effective.
The bottom line: Sodium chlorite products are dangerous, and you and your family should not use them.

https://vitals.lifehacker.com/miracl...its-1837239135

You wouldn't think we should have to tell people not to drink bleach, but here we are. Maybe they are going about these warnings their wrong way, though, and this problem is self-resolving? Tell them it is useless at those levels, and up the concentration a lot, for maximum benefits.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #1466
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

PSA: I just realized that I need to get a booster for the measles shot since I came of age when the vaccination strengths were apparently weaker. There was a news story of a 43 yr/old stewardess becoming infected and dying, even though she had been immunized.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #1467
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://vitals.lifehacker.com/miracl...its-1837239135

You wouldn't think we should have to tell people not to drink bleach, but here we are. Maybe they are going about these warnings their wrong way, though, and this problem is self-resolving? Tell them it is useless at those levels, and up the concentration a lot, for maximum benefits.
That's all well and good when idiot adults are self-murdering by drinking bleach (coincidentally, do not google "Black Salve"), but you also know those idiot adults are using this on their kids as well. And that's ####ing awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #1468
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
PSA: I just realized that I need to get a booster for the measles shot since I came of age when the vaccination strengths were apparently weaker. There was a news story of a 43 yr/old stewardess becoming infected and dying, even though she had been immunized.
Probably update your tetanus while you are at it?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote