Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #201
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Cavs blew a 20 point lead to lose to the worst team in the league by 18 points last night. So we'll see what they do between now and tomorrow at 3pm EST, but if they don't pull off some miraculous trades, they're probably a non-factor in the East. They are closer to being out of the playoffs (3.5 games) then the #1 seed (7.5 games). Unlike last year, I just don't see them turning it on this year. LeBron has to carry a load similar to what he did the first time the Cavs had him, and their defense is horrific and won't get better in the playoffs since the guys they need to step up are either old, or simply not good.

Well I hope you are right on the old or no good. It was neither in the game against the Raps as they just looked like they couldn't give a crap about playing any. Literally stood still as guys went waltzing by them. Are they getting older? Obviously. Is there way more going on in the dressing room than just them getting older? Who knows but something isn't right and has changed. Kyrie was the glue I guess. He was certainly a huge talent subtraction.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #202
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow...

Quote:
SportsCenter‏Verified account @SportsCenter 43s43 seconds ago
Breaking: The Cavaliers are sending Isaiah Thomas, Channing Frye and their 2018 first-round pick to the Lakers for Jordan Clarkson and Larry Nance, sources tell @wojespn.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #203
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this trade basically confirms LeBron to the Lakers. Probably Paul George too. Frees up the cap space they need for both. Basically meaningless for the Cavs.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #204
pria(kin)16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Cavs in full out NBA2k GM Mode, Out: Thomas, Frye, Crowder, Shumpert In: Clarkson, Nance, Hood, Hill

I know they were a disaster before, but how can this team gel before the playoffs?
pria(kin)16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pria(kin)16 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #205
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're basically hoping LeBron has the greatest postseason of all-time. And they'll still have no shot of beating the Warriors. LeBron is not a very good GM.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #206
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dwayne Wade to Miami as well
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #207
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

that's pretty crazy. Hope we see these kind of fireworks Feb 26th in the NHL
Old 02-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #208
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cavs shaking things up, and don't lose anything really. Thomas was doing nothing for them. When Lebron is on your team, you go for it every year. You don't sit back and piss and moan about how good another team is.

Ofcourse it likely doesn't work but you get to the finals and have a puncher's chance of winning it all.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #209
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're still not good enough to be considered a lock for the Finals. Defense is still terrible and Tristan Thompson now has to be their rim protection. And all this for LeBron to leave anyway. Should have given up and started the rebuild now. Cavs are gonna be the worst team in the league for a while after this year.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #210
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like the Caboclo era is over, traded for Malachi Richardson (G-League level player) on Sacramento. Money-saving move for Toronto, gives them a bit more space under the tax.

Wouldn't shock me if Sacramento waives Carter now and Toronto signs him.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #211
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

"2 years away from being 2 years away"

Best line i've ever heard immediately after a kid gets drafted.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #212
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they drafted Jokic instead of Bruno, they'd be the best team in the East and possibly the league. Masai's only real whiff.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #213
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They're still not good enough to be considered a lock for the Finals. Defense is still terrible and Tristan Thompson now has to be their rim protection. And all this for LeBron to leave anyway. Should have given up and started the rebuild now. Cavs are gonna be the worst team in the league for a while after this year.
I don't think you rebuild when you have Lebron James on your roster. There are 30 teams and rebuilding gets you worse odds at a championship than they have currently.

Didn't you also say the Rockets should have traded Harden to rebuild? Some teams actually want to compete.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #214
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I said they should have traded Harden for Porzingis. Knicks would never make that trade now. The Cavs destroyed their future to placate LeBron in 2010. Then he left. Credit for at least keeping the Nets pick. But they'd probably lose to every team in the West's top four. Sometimes it's better to take the long view. LeBron can only do so much.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #215
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Credit for at least keeping the Nets pick.
I heard on TV today that league rules prevented them from trading the Nets Pick (they weren't allowed to trade both 1st Rounders) and that other teams were pissed off once the Cavs pick was traded.. don't know if true.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #216
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
I heard on TV today that league rules prevented them from trading the Nets Pick (they weren't allowed to trade both 1st Rounders) and that other teams were pissed off once the Cavs pick was traded.. don't know if true.
It's technically true, because you can't trade future draft picks in such a way that you have no firsts two years in a row and they've already traded away next year's. But what they could have done, if a deal was there, is trade the Brooklyn pick and get some other team's first from next year back. As long as they get even a crappy but unprotected first-rounder back for this year or next, they could still make that trade.

This current Cavs roster doesn't really scare me, but it'll come down to who they're able to get via buyout. If it's someone like Kendrick Perkins, then it's still not really a dangerous roster. If it's Brook Lopez, then yeah, they're back to being the favorites to come out of the East.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #217
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
It's technically true, because you can't trade future draft picks in such a way that you have no firsts two years in a row and they've already traded away next year's. But what they could have done, if a deal was there, is trade the Brooklyn pick and get some other team's first from next year back. As long as they get even a crappy but unprotected first-rounder back for this year or next, they could still make that trade.

This current Cavs roster doesn't really scare me, but it'll come down to who they're able to get via buyout. If it's someone like Kendrick Perkins, then it's still not really a dangerous roster. If it's Brook Lopez, then yeah, they're back to being the favorites to come out of the East.
I don't think they had any intention of moving the Brooklyn pick. This was some very shrewd moves by the Cavs. They shed a lot of aging vets and malcontents. They got back younger players and more defensive minded players. This unit should be enough to get them back to the finals. Meanwhile they are younger and have a top pick for the rebuild if Lebron leaves. Masterful job I'd say. No guarantees for either this season or for the rebuild but they certainly put themselves into position to possibly succeed.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #218
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Sounds like the Caboclo era is over, traded for Malachi Richardson (G-League level player) on Sacramento. Money-saving move for Toronto, gives them a bit more space under the tax.

Wouldn't shock me if Sacramento waives Carter now and Toronto signs him.
Joe Johnson also a possibility. He has dropped off a cliff this year though. I'd rather have Vince and I think it's high time they mended the fences. I hated the guy for years but what the heck forgive and forget. Plus it's far from just a token move he can still shoot the 3's and they need another shooter. They wouldn't if Powell had his crap together but he has been a downer.
The Following User Says Thank You to St. Pats For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #219
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
I don't think they had any intention of moving the Brooklyn pick. This was some very shrewd moves by the Cavs. They shed a lot of aging vets and malcontents. They got back younger players and more defensive minded players. This unit should be enough to get them back to the finals. Meanwhile they are younger and have a top pick for the rebuild if Lebron leaves. Masterful job I'd say. No guarantees for either this season or for the rebuild but they certainly put themselves into position to possibly succeed.
Eh, I wouldn't say masterful. Clarkson's contract is bad and on the books for two more seasons after this. Hill is not even close to what he was in his prime, defensively this season he ranks marginally better than Isaiah. Yes we can expect him to up the effort level, but he's a mild upgrade and his shooting stats are skewed by low volume. Hood is decent, but his injury history/soft reputation doesn't bode well for playoff basketball. And if it is Perkins who ends up filling the buyout spot, that's a nothing add. They also have no rim protection, and are set up to get destroyed on the glass. If they draw the Pistons in round one, they could easily lose that series watching Drummond average 10 offensive boards a game (and something stupid like 25 total).

The Cavs are better than they were yesterday, but they've been playing .400 basketball the past two months. It doesn't take much to improve. They're still banking on LeBron going mental and having the greatest postseason ever....and even then, the Celtics and Raptors are much deeper and have actual teams together. Oh and it doesn't change Lue being a terrible coach either. Frankly if they fire him and hire Fizdale, then they're a lot more intriguing than anything these trades did.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 02-08-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #220
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

New theory for this year's postseason: Start the Bench Mob, bring the starters off the bench.

Tags
fire them all , i'm better than ibaka , kawhi so serious? , lebronto , time to go nuclear