Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who should the Flames pick at 6th overall?
Chychrun 78 16.49%
Juolevi 30 6.34%
Sergachev 26 5.50%
Nylander 242 51.16%
Jost 21 4.44%
Brown 30 6.34%
Keller 6 1.27%
Bean 4 0.85%
McLeod 9 1.90%
Jones 1 0.21%
McAvoy 0 0%
Fabbro 2 0.42%
Gauthier 7 1.48%
Robtsov 0 0%
Other (specify) 17 3.59%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #61
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Except that Tkachuk is consistently ranked ahead of Nylander, Jost and Gauthier by every scouting publication so yes, he and Dubois would likely be the best player available if they are there at #6. Tkachuk and Dubois also bring a blend of size, strength, skill and power that the Flames desperately need up front. So not only would Tkachuk/Dubois likely be the BPA but also fit our needs extremely well.
Obviously Dubois fits our needs, as he plays all three forward positions. The poster I responded to said Tkachuk, not Dubois, fits them the best.

And is Tkachuk really so much better than Nylander, Jost, Gauthier (or Brown/whoever) that we should add yet another LW when we've already got Gaudreau and a number of LW prospects, and virtually nothing at RW?
I'll defer to those who know more about these prospects than I do - I just have a hard time believing Tkachuk is both the undisputed BPA and what the Flames really need. Plus his dad was a goof, so I'm irrationally biased against him.

Last edited by Spinach; 05-01-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #62
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Trade a few spots to add another 2nd and take Gauthier, Jost or Mcleod.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #63
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
weird to see such a gap between chychrun and nylander. i'm curious if folks think nylander is the BPA or just don't want a defence man at all costs
It seems like the Flames typically manage to do alright finding and developing defenceman. I'm not against drafting a defenceman in the first round, but if the BPA is almost even with other players, I would rather go for the high-end forward and trust our scouts and development staff to find d-man gems in later rounds.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #64
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

hoping Dubois is available, but if not, I think Keller is the next BPA. Skillwise he's right up there with Auston Matthews and he's got a lot of "bloodhound" to his game.

I can see the Flames picking Brown or Sergachyev too in an attempt to get systemically bigger without sacrificing upside. I am not too high on Nylander, seems very Baertschi/Teravainen rather than the Sharp/Toffoli type guy we want.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #65
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

chychrun dubois or tkachuk will fall to us. still a good situation, don't want any part of nylander

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #66
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
chychrun dubois or tkachuk will fall to us. still a good situation, don't want any part of nylander
Why?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #67
Stilletto
Draft Pick

Don't get why people rather seem to want to go off the grid a little over not picking Nylander ? Hometown born player isn't he ? :-)
Stilletto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stilletto For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #68
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chychrun. When you have the chance to snag the best defenseman in a draft at pick #6, you do it. Giordano is getting older. We have a great top-3 now but no prospects that convince me they will become a top-3 defenseman in the NHL. Someone has to replace Gio and it's a lot easier to draft and develop top defenseman than it is to trade for one.

Nylander wouldn't make me angry, but personally I take whoever's left of Tkachuk, Dubois, and Chychrun.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #69
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jost. I want Jost. He'll be gone by 10 for sure.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #70
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Would you guys trade the pick for let's say valeri nichushkin? I don't know where he would rank compared to the players that available at around 6. Unless if the Flames do get the Dallas 1st round pick can that get some RW help?
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:46 PM   #71
TheMagicMan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

What about this....trade the 6th pick to the leafs for their first overall next year and a option for their 2nd this year or a 2nd next year (Flames choice at the time of selection). Win win for both as leafs can get the Nylander brothers on their team. Flames get first next year..could either be better or worse than 6th and also another asset in a second rounder. Thoughts?
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #72
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Would you guys trade the pick for let's say valeri nichushkin? I don't know where he would rank compared to the players that available at around 6. Unless if the Flames do get the Dallas 1st round pick can that get some RW help?
Nichushkin is a regular healthy scratch in this year's playoffs. While he still has talent there are serious question marks about him at this point.

I'd rather draft one of Dubois, Keller, Jost, Brown, Sergachyev, or Rubtsov.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 05-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #73
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So the Flames have the sixth pick. So many options available. The board seems set on Nylander. I am not sold on him. Why because of his size. Yes I know we have a wee star on the team that is smaller. Mangiapanne is not huge either. Yet these were 4th and 6th round picks.

Yet I am not of the school of Big=Good. Whoever came up with that, well it was probably Sutter based off his past drafting. Thats just a stupid mentality!

I just dont see the value at 6th taking Nylander. Not a bad pick but one that could go later in the draft as well.

Normally I hate trading down. Despise it actually. Yet the group of players to choose from is a pretty good group 1 2 3 4 spots lower. Trading down could still net us Nylander. Fans on this board are opposed to Dmen. Lot of good dmen available too.

Honestly no matter what we do we get a player. Another asset aka pick by trading down might allow us to overpay a little to solve our goalie issue.

Not opposed to trading up either. Top 3 are set in stone, forget about trading into the top 3. Vancouver and Edmonton might listen to trade talks though.
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #74
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
And is Tkachuk really so much better than Nylander, Jost, Gauthier (or Brown/whoever) that we should add yet another LW when we've already got Gaudreau and a number of LW prospects, and virtually nothing at RW?
I think people get a bit too hung up on LW/RW. I think most smart wingers can adapt to their off wing after a few games. Some even prefer it (see Dubois, Laine, Ovechkin, etc, etc). Colborne, Ferland, Frolik, Gaudreau and Hudler all played their off wing this wing and most of them did it quite successfully.

I think you take the best player available and Tkachuk is consistently rated top 5-6 by every scouting list. He seems to be consensus ahead of guys like Nylander, Jost and Gauthier. Let the coach worry about which winger he'll swap over to RW.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #75
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Im a little bit concerned with Juolevis production (or relative lack thereof) on that ultra high scoring London team. If you cut 10-15 points off his total due to the team he plays for and he starts to look like he has pretty low pro offensive upside to me. Maybe Im wrong but that concerns me a little bit when ranking the Dmen. Hes 3rd of the "big 3" Dmen on my list.

As for Nylander, I have been pretty high on him all season and he would have been my pick if you held this poll before the U18's. He had that 6 point game against the Swiss and then 5 points in 6 games against the rest of the field. That was a disappointing result for a guy that should have obliterated that tourney offensively.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #76
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Absolutely not. Nichushkin has fallen very hard since his rookie season.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #77
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
...Why because of his size.

... I just dont see the value at 6th taking Nylander.
Not pertaining to Nylander specifically as I'm also not very convinced he's a top 6 talent, , or even the general jist of your post which I somewhat agree with, but let me phrase it like this because people keep saying "one small player is the max":

If people could have 40+ minutes of a game of Johnny Hockey instead of 20, would they turn it down in favor of size?

Old 05-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #78
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
What about this....trade the 6th pick to the leafs for their first overall next year and a option for their 2nd this year or a 2nd next year (Flames choice at the time of selection). Win win for both as leafs can get the Nylander brothers on their team. Flames get first next year..could either be better or worse than 6th and also another asset in a second rounder. Thoughts?
Pretty terrible for the Flames. We defer our 1st rounder for a year and have no guarantee that the pick would be any higher next year. Better to pick a good young kid now and get him developing vs waiting an entire year. It makes no sense.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #79
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

"IF" either the Jets or Jackets are listening to offers, I would love to try and trade up to the 2nd or 3rd pick this year as it fits our organizational need 10 fold.

I'd offer: #6 pick, Dallas's pick (if its a first), prospect & roster player of usefulness to either team outside of (JG, SM, SB, TjB). I'd also potentially float the 2017 first/2nd if need be to get #2 pick.

Might seem like a lot but I think Laine is going to be a bigger superstar in the NHL then Matthews and the fact he's a RHS just screams need for the flames.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #80
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did some youtube scouting of Nylander. Guy looks like he has top 3 level skill.
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote