Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #3081
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Eric Staal goes back to Carolina on a much smaller contract, maybe something around what his brother earns.

Interesting that Lecavalier still plans on retiring. I think he showed this season he showed that he still had something left in the tank, he must feel that too.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:55 AM   #3082
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Lecavalier tells media he still plans to retire...still "decompressing" has not yet filed the paperwork
I'm hoping Vinny changes his mind and decides he still has enough left in the tank for another season. Seeing the Kings getting screwed cap wise after they got out of the Richards contract would be nice.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #3083
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I'm hoping Vinny changes his mind and decides he still has enough left in the tank for another season. Seeing the Kings getting screwed cap wise after they got out of the Richards contract would be nice.
Yeah, and then I hope he sucks terribly for the next two years.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #3084
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jon Rosen
Jon Rosen – Verified account ‏@lakingsinsider

Lucic *very* much wants to remain in Los Angeles. Talks progressing; he indicated that they're not worlds apart.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:42 PM   #3085
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Makes sense for Lucic to wanna stay with LA. Closer to home without having to play for Van. Chance to win a cup as their core should remain intact for a few more years. Has had great chemistry with on multiple lines.

And doesn't have to play for Van. Did I mention that already?

The Lecavalier situation have much bearing on Lombardi re-upping Lucic?

Edit: with Schenn, Versteeg, Lewis, Mcbain = 6.1 million of cap room off the books + Lucic's current 3.25.

I could see a 6x6 type deal that leaves the Kings with slightly over 3m.

If Lecavalier retires, that's another 2.25 mil.

If the Kings have to keep Lecavalier due to him changing his mind, having to stick with Vinny and not re-signing Lewis, isn't the worst thing in the world for that team.

But once Gaborik is back from LTIR, that's where the trouble begins.

Lombardi may need to sacrifice a piece, draft pick or prospect, to rid themselves of that contract.

But I don't think the Kings are as handcuffed as some would think.

Oh snap, forgot about Kopitar's 4mill pay increase.

Yup, they're fu****ed.

Lol

Last edited by IgiTang; 04-24-2016 at 12:54 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #3086
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGenius View Post
What happened to him???

It wasn't all that long ago he was a dominant C in the league... he's only 31 years old.
Yeah, the premature decline of Eric Staal is something of a mystery. It's not as though the guy has a history of serious injuries.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:10 PM   #3087
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider
Lucic, on timing of new contract: "The sooner the better. To be honest, I really don’t have much interest into hitting the open market or...

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider
Lucic 2/2: ..even hearing what’s out there, b/c in my mind this is where I want to be. Why flirt w/ something when you know what you want?"
Old 04-24-2016, 01:14 PM   #3088
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Sounds like Lucic doesn't want to be tempted by the big money offered by Van or Edm and end up playing for a bottom feeder.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:22 PM   #3089
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think Lecavalier showed he still has enough in the tank to be a useful 3/4 center. Plus he brings a tonne of leadership and experience. At $2.25M I don't think the kings would have much trouble moving him at the draft if he decides he still wants to play. Vinny would just have to accept that if he wants to keep playing, he'll have to go wherever the kings get the best offer. Honestly, I'd prefer him on our fourth line instead of Stajan.
I think he has the lot more to offer the kids in experience and ability, and can still out perform Stajan.
I'm guessing there would be a taker out there.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #3090
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

at this point in your career, especially for a guy who has earned a ton of money in that time period, fit and stability for your family becomes a lot more important i would think...

which surprised me a little why iggy signed with Colorado... seemed like he would've wanted to spend his "golden years" with a team that had a better shot at the Cup?

Lucic seems to be in a good spot... leaving that for one of the worst franchises in the NHL (EDM) or one that is just starting the rebuild (Van) hardly seems to be an enjoyable way to spend the last few years of your NHL career...esp for a few million more total
Old 04-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #3091
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
One way to lose on Reimer is to sign him to a big money deal. If the Flames are truly interested in him, I hope they stay outf a bidding war. I am leery.
Who would they really be in a bidding war with?

In the Metro division, the only team who seems like they'd be interested in Reimer is Carolina, but I don't think they'd be in a rush to overpay for him.

Nobody in the Atlantic needs a starter except Toronto, but clearly that ship has sailed.

Dallas could use James Reimer, but they're already paying Niemi and Lehtonen.

Arizona won't throw any major money his way either.

It's Calgary or bust, here he gets the starter spot virtually uncontested. Plus Brian Burke gave Reimer his shot at the NHL in the first place. I'd prefer Treliving get him on a Hiller deal, but if he has to give him a Talhot contract to get it done, that's fine too.

Reimer and Ortio at $5.5 is so much more palatable than Hiller/Ramo at $8.3
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2016, 02:07 PM   #3092
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

The president of the Calgary Flames spent a lot of effort into upgrading Reimer when they were in Toronto. I doubt he's going to advise his current management to go after him when there are better options available via trade.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #3093
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Chance to win a cup as their core should remain intact for a few more years.
Not sure about this part. Missed playoffs last year and 1 playoff win this year looks like a team starting a decline. Their D in particular needs some upgrades.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #3094
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reimer is likely plan D in the flames books. If a trade can't be worked out then he likely would sign here as a UFA. There is a relationship with Burke, the team needs a starting goalie, the rest of the lineup is pretty solid.

I suspect the Flames are going to try and trade for a Bette goalie but won't overpay
Old 04-24-2016, 03:20 PM   #3095
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Yeesh, Eric Staal is likely going to have a big paycut next season. You would think that the only teams that would take a chance on him with any significant contract are the ones struggling with center depth and hope that he somehow bounces back.
Also, what happened to his brother Marc. He was an awesome top 4 Dman just entering his prime, and now Ranger fans can't wait to get rid of him at 29.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:13 PM   #3096
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
The president of the Calgary Flames spent a lot of effort into upgrading Reimer when they were in Toronto. I doubt he's going to advise his current management to go after him when there are better options available via trade.
He did? How so?
Old 04-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #3097
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
What significant time and who did they get?
Old 04-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #3098
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Lucic will sign for a little less than what he knows he would get in the open market to stay on a team he thinks he fits well with in LA
Old 04-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #3099
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
He did? How so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
What significant time and who did they get?
Loungo to Toronto before Luongo refused to waive his NTC.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/l...to-join-leafs/

The team (nonis) continued to pursue other tenders thus getting Bernier that summer after Burke was let go.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #3100
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
He did? How so?
Wasn't Burke originally the GM trying to acquire Luongo? Then after his dismissal, Nonis continued the chase. But at that time Reimer had just finished his second season and only put up a .500 record with a .900 save% so it would be hard for even Reimer to fault Burke for going after an all-star caliber goalie in Luongo.
Closed Thread