Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2024, 02:00 PM   #81
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
I dunno, that kinda sounds like Russia
A lot of companies make employees sign non-disparagement agreements to prevent them from leaving negative reviews on job websites. I don't know how enforceable they are though.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:14 PM   #82
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

No 7 year deals for UFAs! Music to our ears!
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:22 PM   #83
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I'll be honest Markstrom wasn't great that series, but I've actually softened my position on how much was his fault.

The Flames probably needed to stop giving McDavid and Draisaitl odd man rushes and grade A changes.

Flames had an .853 save percentage in that series. But it was .788 with McDavid on the ice and .918 with McDavid off the ice.

They gave up 35 High Danger Chances with McDavid on the ice in that series...in 5 games.

McDavid on ice - Oilers outscored Flames 18-6:
HDGF: 9 - 0
MDGF: 6 - 4
LDGF: 2 -2

McDavid off ice - Flames outscored Oilers 14-7:
HDGF: 4 - 6
MDGF: 2 - 6
LDGF: 1 - 1

The team as a whole did such a terrible job defending McDavid in that series, and the entire difference in the series was getting outscored 9-0 in High Danger chances with McDavid on the ice.

Flames outscored the Oilers 19-15 otherwise, but got outscored 9-0 in high danger with 97 on the ice. Sutter had no answer to 97-29 on the ice and refused to line match them.

His play last season was a lot worse than that playoff series IMO.
Exactly. With even average goaltending they're a playoff team last year.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:24 PM   #84
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is conroy on?
Old 04-19-2024, 02:24 PM   #85
Toonage

Exp:

^ Yes
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
FBI
Old 04-19-2024, 02:26 PM   #86
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like I thought, Jarome has a lot of insight on this draft class. His hands could be all over this class.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 02:26 PM   #87
Toonage

Exp:

And apparently Jarome doesn't read Tij's reports and won't be of any help on that. lol
Old 04-19-2024, 02:30 PM   #88
Toonage

Exp:

All the coaches will be back. Everyone subject to a learning curve
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
FBI
Old 04-19-2024, 02:34 PM   #89
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
All the coaches will be back. Everyone subject to a learning curve
That sucks to hear. Was hoping Lambert got the boot.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:36 PM   #90
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Did Kuzy save Savards job? It was looking like he was a terrible PP coach for most of the season
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:38 PM   #91
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Summary updated on page 4, I think it went well in terms of what you want to hear.

Bit skeptical on the rebuild/retool analysis but I think we all knew the Flames have/had no interest in a complete tear down and rebuild with no vets as they're locked into long term contracts with a few.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 02:39 PM   #92
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
That sucks to hear. Was hoping Lambert got the boot.
I'm glad he's sticking around just so I can hear him clear his throat a few dozen times during post game interviews on the Fan. Seriously, someone get that man some water!
Old 04-19-2024, 02:40 PM   #93
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know how much I missed but Conroy clearly has a plan and I couldn't glean any foresight into potential roster moves from his presser. Other than Shillys keen to keep playing and it'll likely be in CGY.

Definitely leaned into the importance of the draft, said once the first 4 or 5 are off the board they'll know who they'll get.

As far as keeping the youth movement going, sounds like it's going to be harder this coming season to slot kids in with how many contracts they have. Which sounds like they're not anticipating a lot of player movement maybe.

I'm fine with the coaching staff staying, they're all learning as well like Conny said.

I liked what he said about Huberdeau....actually that was one thing that implied some player movement, he wants to go out and find someone with Chemistry for Hubey. Said he's had just a small bit of chemistry with the guys already here but he needs to go out and try to help Huberdeau more.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:42 PM   #94
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Water Cowboy #10 View Post
Did Kuzy save Savards job? It was looking like he was a terrible PP coach for most of the season
Conroy said the plans were good, the players didn't execute.

Kind of felt like an admittance that there's a lack of skill in the lineup. Because once Kuzmenko came in he kind of was the piece of the puzzle that put everyone in the right place
Old 04-19-2024, 02:44 PM   #95
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Multiple times mentioned Dallas as a retool model they'd like to follow but acknowledged that they had a very key draft that made it possible.

Sure would be nice to follow their model by winning the draft lottery and kicking off the "retool" with Celebrini in the fold.

He can be our Heiskenen but center.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:47 PM   #96
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Multiple times mentioned Dallas as a retool model they'd like to follow but acknowledged that they had a very key draft that made it possible.

Sure would be nice to follow their model by winning the draft lottery and kicking off the "retool" with Celebrini in the fold.

Or 2nd overall. There's be debate over who to take but Demidov is just a good in my eyes if the Flames landed 2nd overall.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:49 PM   #97
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Asked about Tij Iginla coming up this year, how involved is Jarome? Says they don't talk specifically about Tij but they have great talks about ALL the kids in general as he knows this age group/bracket really well. Wealth of knowledge.
Craig asked if Tij is on their draft list and he says they'll put everyone on the list who should be - awkward question/answer.
[
If Tij is available and the Flames pick someone else, it's because they asked Tij and he said he rather he didn't play for the Flames. The old man has pull.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:55 PM   #98
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I'll be honest Markstrom wasn't great that series, but I've actually softened my position on how much was his fault.

The Flames probably needed to stop giving McDavid and Draisaitl odd man rushes and grade A changes.

Flames had an .853 save percentage in that series. But it was .788 with McDavid on the ice and .918 with McDavid off the ice.

They gave up 35 High Danger Chances with McDavid on the ice in that series...in 5 games.

McDavid on ice - Oilers outscored Flames 18-6:
HDGF: 9 - 0
MDGF: 6 - 4
LDGF: 2 -2

McDavid off ice - Flames outscored Oilers 14-7:
HDGF: 4 - 6
MDGF: 2 - 6
LDGF: 1 - 1

The team as a whole did such a terrible job defending McDavid in that series, and the entire difference in the series was getting outscored 9-0 in High Danger chances with McDavid on the ice.

Flames outscored the Oilers 19-15 otherwise, but got outscored 9-0 in high danger with 97 on the ice. Sutter had no answer to 97-29 on the ice and refused to line match them.

His play last season was a lot worse than that playoff series IMO.
Agree. And I’ve always thought the main reason for this was the toughness of the Dallas series and the injury to Tanev. The broadcast team was always talking about DrySaddle’s amazing ability to play through injury, and gave short shrift to the huge hole in the Flames’ defense core caused by the loss of an effective Tanev.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Bozek For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 02:58 PM   #99
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conny on the fan now. Talking Shilly.

I knew I was right at the deadline, they didn't know if Shilly even wanted to keep playing until he told them today. So they'll get something done.

Zary: Now you know what the NHL is like, go home, get to work, hit that next level. Zary has already layed out his summer plan and Conny is happy.

Miromanov: Was happy with what they got from a guy who came back from serious injury. Says Miro told him there's a lot more to give the team after getting up to 100 percent in the summer.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:59 PM   #100
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Heiskenen, Oettinger, and Robertson all in the top 39 picks in 2017.

A draft like that would really put things on the right path... and a good reminder that it has taken them 7 years to get to where they are now with that group.