Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #741
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I have no idea how you guys have made it so far. I'm working on my second beast, and I play an hour or 2 a day. I just don't have the time to play 6 hours a day like back in University! I've done about 30 shrines and rarely fast travel. I haven't really been in a rush, I just pick a point and start walking, doing any shrine on the way.
If you rarely fast travel, that would explain a lot of it! After the 25 hour mark I finally started doing Divine Beasts, and then I just...kept going to each one, one after another. I've got about 40 hours on it now, and it was mostly done on weekends where I can put a 3-6 hour session in at a time.

I've been fairly obsessive about using stamps on my map to denote anything of note I see on my scope when looking from a high place, and it's helped me know where to go next for things I need, be it shrines or mini-games or specific goods to make stuff.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:00 PM   #742
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, I mark a lot on my map, too. I figured I will need to visit most places at some point though, and I may as well find them by wandering around, rather than fast travelling to the story points and maybe being under powered or short on supplies. Plus I find the wandering and discovery to be supremely enjoyable.

I'm not really in any rush, as there aren't many new games I'm interested in until Mario in the fall, which, lets be honest, is going to get delayed.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #743
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I would go places by wandering at first, but if I'd been to an area a few times already I was ok with fast travelling after that.

I finished the game, and just a warning, when you finish you're done, you can't go on exploring. Fortunately it auto-saved right before I got into the last boss fight, so I loaded that and went and did a some of the other stuff I'd been wanting to do (like got all 120 shrines).

Last boss battle was pretty cool, though with fully buffed ancient armour it didn't feel overly dangerous.

I still feel there's lots of the game I haven't explored. Some of the quests were pretty fun so I may go on some guides to look for quests I haven't found yet through wandering.

Overall one of my favorite games in a long time.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #744
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm reasonably confident photon took all of March off just to play Zelda.

Right now I'm grinding shrines to get the Master Sword. Then I want to start working on the ancient armor.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:35 PM   #745
photon

Exp:

My wife thinks Hyrule is a big project.

"I'm going to go get some more stuff done in Hyrule."
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 07:31 AM   #746
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'd be farther if I hadn't put 20 hours into Horizon and 10 into Ace Attorney 6 at the same time. But that's okay. I'll finally get the second guardian this weekend.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #747
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

My inlaws are visiting so I can't play for more than an hour at a time. Sucks pretending to be an adult. Still only on the 2nd beast, but lately I've just been exploring and unlocking towers.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #748
photon

Exp:

That there is no way to transfer save files from system to system is brutal on Nintendo's part. It's difficult to attribute it to something other than incompetence...

Writer Anthony John Agnello sent his system to Nintendo for repair, and not only did he report that the replacement system also had issues, the letter that came with the new system stated that Nintendo wasn’t able to move his saved games nor data to the new system. All that time spend on Breath of the Wild? Gone. Nintendo has confirmed to us that there is no way to move the files from one system to another, but the assumption was that Nintendo itself would be able to do so if you system were damaged.

That assumption turned out to be wrong.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/29/151...fer-lost-saves
Old 03-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #749
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ That has to be addressed with the next firmware update, hasn't it? That's pretty brutal. It would be frustrating after the first month, but could you imagine after a few months or years?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:08 PM   #750
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
^ That has to be addressed with the next firmware update, hasn't it? That's pretty brutal. It would be frustrating after the first month, but could you imagine after a few months or years?
An update just came out, it wasn't mentioned.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo....il/a_id/22525/
Old 03-30-2017, 10:17 AM   #751
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Finally bought a Switch! Too bad I didn't capitalize on the Prime deal to get Zelda for $64.00.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #752
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Finally bought a Switch! Too bad I didn't capitalize on the Prime deal to get Zelda for $64.00.
Same, finally found a Switch

Zelda is an amazing game.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #753
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Same, finally found a Switch

Zelda is an amazing game.
Wonderful! I ended up just buying Zelda from Amazon. Should be here on Saturday. I'm really looking forward to experiencing what everyone's been talking about.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:33 AM   #754
photon

Exp:

Patch for Zelda is out which apparently fixes many of the frame rate issues while the game is docked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2017, 09:39 AM   #755
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Patch for Zelda is out which apparently fixes many of the frame rate issues while the game is docked.
I wonder if this will be for the Wii U version as well? I wouldn't mind the issue with the game locking up for short times after hitting enemies in complex situations being cleaned up.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:42 AM   #756
photon

Exp:

Not sure, I've had the game locking up in fights too, though not very often.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:16 PM   #757
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know this is a Switch thread but has anyone played Zelda on the WiiU? Is there a discernible difference? I can't justify the new console purchase yet.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:22 PM   #758
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Haven't played it, but my understanding is that it runs almost the same. So much so that it doesn't use the game pad's screen.

The challenge is finding a copy. There are none showing available at Best Buy's brick and mortar stores, but a few for online purchase. This is one example where Nintendo definitely and deliberately shorted stock availability - to push people toward Switch.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:23 PM   #759
photon

Exp:

The reviews seem to be that the Wii U version is pretty much the same.. frame rate isn't quite as smooth and the graphics maybe not quite as good in a side by side comparison, but the game is still very much enjoyable on the Wii U.

Looks like the update was for the Wii U version as well.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo....ail/a_id/25569
Old 03-31-2017, 04:52 PM   #760
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

The graphical differences are minor enough that you're not really going to notice it on Wii U. Some things are a bit sharper on Switch but that's it. After watching the side-by-side comparisons with the Switch version I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything by picking up the Wii U version. The game actually loads a bit faster on Wii U - the speedrunners figured this one pretty quickly and it's the preferred version for them right now.

The only time you need the Wii U Gamepad is for motion control puzzles which are thankfully very rare. The rest of the time I've been playing with the Pro controller and it's been awesome. You can switch back and forth between controllers at will.