Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #61
Northendzone
Franchise Player
 
Northendzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

i know seeing 7 yr olds do dryland seems silly, but for the few that progress on to AAA midget, this type of pre-game activity shows them what high levle hockey is all about........
__________________
I really like bikes and bike related discussions......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #62
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player
 
GreenLantern2814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Right. Let's say 13,000 is close to the number of kids participating.

Kids range from about 6-17, so we are talking about 1,000 kids per year.

If Calgary produces one NHLer per year, then it's 1 in 1,000
But Calgary minor hockey doesn't produce one NHL player per year. That's where the 1 in 100,000 comes in.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #63
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

http://www.nepeanhockey.on.ca/Docs/General/MakingIt.pdf


I like this article for a couple of reasons, although old it is a good outline of the chances.

Also, my boy's coach is named in the article.
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:10 PM   #64
Beatle17
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Exp:
Default

Great if it works out, but I think everyone should watch the 30 for 30 program about Todd Marinovich. It may open some eyes for parents of "elite" athletes.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #65
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Hugh Jahrmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
But Calgary minor hockey doesn't produce one NHL player per year. That's where the 1 in 100,000 comes in.
More than 1 in 100 years though you'd think ?
__________________
Long time listener, first time caller.
Hugh Jahrmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #66
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Wow. This is nuts. Seriously, assuming the above is all true... just wow, not sure what else to say. Bank rolling other kids so your little kids team can win? What the hell?

Anyway I find this thread both sad and hilarious all at the same time. When I grew up, my dad would always go over the odds of me making it. I know that sounds bad, but I think he was just trying to be honest, and keep me healthy and normal. A lot of what's being written in this thread, about a kid being so overly dedicated to a sport, just doesn't seem healthy to me. I understand kids get passionate, but I kind of think like fotze that maybe that passion is left unbridled because parents are hoping for something more. But it just seems so backwards if it's all about the parents, doesn't it? And if you're pushing your kid to be a millionaire, aren't there basically a lot better ways to get there, with probably less work overall? Maybe not... but I dunno... sacrificing one's childhood and youth seems like a pretty steep price.

It's not just hockey too... parents going crazy on extracurriculars... it's all very strange to me. My wife and I had a little kid a couple months ago... I couldn't imagine in my wildest dreams trying to force her into something because I have wild career dream aspirations for her. It sounds ridiculous, petty, materialistic and frankly wrong and a little depressing.

There is more to life.

That has been going on for many many years.
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #67
Derek Sutton
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Derek Sutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Sorry for bumping an old thread. I was going to start a new thread on the same topic, did a search and found this one. Some good discussion in here so far.

My son turns seven this week. Currently he is playing initiation in Red Deer. I just registered him for spring hockey. I was curious to see what other parents in different parts of the province, or country, are paying for spring hockey at this age (or any age for that matter). What the experience was like, and what did your kid think of playing spring league?

With tax the fees here in Red Deer cost $729.00 for april and may.
It all depends on how many ice times, how many tournaments, track suits etc... I've been involved with prices ranging from $400- $1500 in Southern AB. As for my thoughts

-a lot of feelings get hurt over spring hockey
-it is a money maker for those who run the teams
-it isn't what it once was as there are so many teams now
-good kids who don't play are quickly passed by the good kids who do play
-it is essential if you or your kid plan on going anywhere in hockey
-soccer sucks and weather wise baseball season is too short so spring hockey it is
__________________
The only thing better then a glass of beer is tea with Ms McGill
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #68
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post

-it isn't what it once was as there are so many teams now

-it is essential if you or your kid plan on going anywhere in hockey
Can you expand on these two points please?


I agree soccer sucks, Lacrosse does not.
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #69
tripin_billie
#1 Goaltender
 
tripin_billie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: DC
Exp:
Default

I'm happy this didn't really exist when I was a kid. I got to instead try other sports, round out my athletic skills, and also have down time. I liked high school sports so much more than the long season of hockey. Three sports, when you are just about getting to the point where you're burnt out on one, it ends and the next starts. So much better! (but I never thought I was going to use sports as a career).
tripin_billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #70
Derek Sutton
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Derek Sutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Can you expand on these two points please?


I agree soccer sucks, Lacrosse does not.
Kid get injured or are at a greater risk for injury in Lacrosse then any other sport, running on cement, borken wrists, concussions etc...

Here's what I posted earlier on the thread from my experiences


The OP was in regards to spring hockey, which is a whole different can of worms then minor hockey, so lets stick to that, I will outline some of the differences. Spring hockey is essentially unsanctioned, meaning no residential rules regarding where kids play. Also no governing body such as Hockey Alberta to handle discipline, officiating, game times etc... As well most spring clubs are private "for profit" businesses.

I became involved in spring hockey in 2006 with a 6yr old. Back then there were only a handful of teams around. Top Guns, S A selects, Foothills Elite and the Wolverines. It was at the time considered AAA. Less then three years later there were nearly 10 teams in Southern Alberta. The focus was no longer on giving kids high level competition which really lackss until pee wee in many areas, but on, making money and parents trying to avenge hurt feelings. anyone with an ice time and 12 friends with kids became a AAA spring team. If your kid was cut from one team you just went to a different team, or stated your own. If a coach benched your kid, you just went to a different team or started your own. Spring hockey, like so many other kids activities became a showcase for the parents. Back in 2006 local tournaments such as the Stampede Challenge and the showdown in in Cowtown were top level competition having 6 or so teams in each age group with teams coming from Vancouver, Minnesota etc... 2009 would feature 8 teams in three divisions in nearly every age group tiered in to gold, silver and bronze no longer AAA, the teams were nearly all from Alberta as well. The the hockey was no longer elite competition.

Spring hockey tournaments are a full time job for the promoters, as the linked article mentioned. The same groups run tournaments all over from Edmonton to Winnipeg to Las Vegas which are usually poorly organized, poorly officiated and. There sole objective is to make money, and parents don't seem to care.

The costs vary from club to club depending n the number of tournaments, ice times and amount of travel. As well as track suits, jerseys bag, gloves etc.. but what has also happened over the years is that teams have a core of 12 or so players that play together and form the team, funding and all. When they go to a tournament they will bring in 2-4 star players who play for free because they want to win. The parents of the core 12 have bank roll the ringers in their original fees they pay at the start of the year. This has become the norm. I know first hand on several occasions where kids have gotten all expense paid tournaments air fare, food and hotel
__________________
The only thing better then a glass of beer is tea with Ms McGill
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #71
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Kid get injured or are at a greater risk for injury in Lacrosse then any other sport, running on cement, borken wrists, concussions etc...
really, i have not heard this before, do you have something to back this up?

Quote:
Here's what I posted earlier on the thread from my experiences


The OP was in regards to spring hockey, which is a whole different can of worms then minor hockey, so lets stick to that, I will outline some of the differences. Spring hockey is essentially unsanctioned, meaning no residential rules regarding where kids play. Also no governing body such as Hockey Alberta to handle discipline, officiating, game times etc... As well most spring clubs are private "for profit" businesses.
Perfect reason why I am against it.

There are coaches in spring hockey in central alberta that are banned from coaching minor hockey.....

Quote:
I became involved in spring hockey in 2006 with a 6yr old. Back then there were only a handful of teams around. Top Guns, S A selects, Foothills Elite and the Wolverines. It was at the time considered AAA. Less then three years later there were nearly 10 teams in Southern Alberta. The focus was no longer on giving kids high level competition which really lackss until pee wee in many areas, but on, making money and parents trying to avenge hurt feelings. anyone with an ice time and 12 friends with kids became a AAA spring team. If your kid was cut from one team you just went to a different team, or stated your own. If a coach benched your kid, you just went to a different team or started your own. Spring hockey, like so many other kids activities became a showcase for the parents. Back in 2006 local tournaments such as the Stampede Challenge and the showdown in in Cowtown were top level competition having 6 or so teams in each age group with teams coming from Vancouver, Minnesota etc... 2009 would feature 8 teams in three divisions in nearly every age group tiered in to gold, silver and bronze no longer AAA, the teams were nearly all from Alberta as well. The the hockey was no longer elite competition.

Spring hockey tournaments are a full time job for the promoters, as the linked article mentioned. The same groups run tournaments all over from Edmonton to Winnipeg to Las Vegas which are usually poorly organized, poorly officiated and. There sole objective is to make money, and parents don't seem to care.

The costs vary from club to club depending n the number of tournaments, ice times and amount of travel. As well as track suits, jerseys bag, gloves etc.. but what has also happened over the years is that teams have a core of 12 or so players that play together and form the team, funding and all. When they go to a tournament they will bring in 2-4 star players who play for free because they want to win. The parents of the core 12 have bank roll the ringers in their original fees they pay at the start of the year. This has become the norm. I know first hand on several occasions where kids have gotten all expense paid tournaments air fare, food and hotel

So if spring hockey is no longer Elite is it still a requirement to progess?

I post this article before:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Wante...213/story.html

Quote:
“You just don’t have as many players today that are as good athletes as they used to be,” Sutter said recently. “Too much today, especially in young players, is focused on hockey 12 months a year. They don’t play soccer, they don’t play baseball or tennis or the other things that people used to do.”

I also have a family friend who's dad is a scout in the NHL, he focuses on a player's complete athletic background/experience.
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #72
Derek Sutton
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Derek Sutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Exp:
Default

As for your kid getting passed by, we played against or with nearly every candadian kid picked in the the last WHL draft, meaning they all, like 90% of them played spring hockey to.

There can still be elite teams, who travel to play against equal competetion but there are so many kids playing now the "local" teams are not necessarily elite.
__________________
The only thing better then a glass of beer is tea with Ms McGill

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 02-27-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #73
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: May 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Can you expand on these two points please?

I agree soccer sucks, Lacrosse does not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
It all depends on how many ice times, how many tournaments, track suits etc... I've been involved with prices ranging from $400- $1500 in Southern AB. As for my thoughts

-good kids who don't play are quickly passed by the good kids who do play
-it is essential if you or your kid plan on going anywhere in hockey
-soccer sucks and weather wise baseball season is too short so spring hockey it is
This article shows that coaches are looking for athletes more than they are pure hockey players. I enjoyed playing multiple sports each year growing up. Then again I didn't end up in the show so maybe that is why.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch...tml?id=8043213
__________________
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #74
Fuzzy14
Draft Pick
 
Fuzzy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default

Though its nice seeing kids committing themselves to something at an early age, I'm still a proponent of multiple sports year round. The difference in training regimens just makes for a more diverse social group and more complete athletes as a whole.

Count me out for spring hockey unless the kid has zero interest in any of the available summer sports.
Fuzzy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #75
Derek Sutton
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Derek Sutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
really, i have not heard this before, do you have something to back this up?




I also have a family friend who's dad is a scout in the NHL, he focuses on a player's complete athletic background/experience.
Just personal experience, was involved with lacrosse for 4 years, I know it is a samll sample size, but it is rough, and gets out of controll.



Iteresting though because from age 15 on kids do not get a chance to play anything other then hockey
__________________
The only thing better then a glass of beer is tea with Ms McGill
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #76
Derek Sutton
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Derek Sutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy14 View Post
Though its nice seeing kids committing themselves to something at an early age, I'm still a proponent of multiple sports year round. The difference in training regimens just makes for a more diverse social group and more complete athletes as a whole.

Count me out for spring hockey unless the kid has zero interest in any of the available summer sports.
It is a parent thing more so then a kid committing themselves, the parents carry themselves a certain way when their kid, who has never played over A in minor hockey, is playing "AAA" spring hockey

Spring hockey is a neccessary evil of developing kids, be it turing good players into great players or turning poor players into medieocre players, over a few years the kids who play year round will be excelling, in hockey over those who don't play between April and August, I know there will always be exceptions.
__________________
The only thing better then a glass of beer is tea with Ms McGill

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 02-27-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #77
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Just personal experience, was involved with lacrosse for 4 years, I know it is a samll sample size, but it is rough, and gets out of controll.
I think you are wrong actually, I seem to think it is far down the list of sports, but to be honest I am going by memory, and can't recall if the list I was was injuries per participant or total injuries.



Quote:
Iteresting though because from age 15 on kids do not get a chance to play anything other then hockey
Eh?
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #78
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
It is a parent thing more so then a kid committing themselves, the parents carry themselves a certain way when their kid, who has never played over A in minor hockey, is playing "AAA" spring hockey

Spring hockey is a neccessary evil of developing kids, be it turing good players into great players or turning poor players into medieocre players, over a few years the kids who play year round will be excelling, in hockey over those who don't play between April and August, I know there will always be exceptions.
I wonder if these are the kids that Hockey Canada says (again by memory) are walking away from the sport.
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #79
J epworth
#1 Goaltender
 
J epworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Just personal experience, was involved with lacrosse for 4 years, I know it is a samll sample size, but it is rough, and gets out of controll.



Iteresting though because from age 15 on kids do not get a chance to play anything other then hockey

The roughness aspect of Lacrosse was probably the aspect that improved my abilities in hockey the most. Allowed me to be ready for contact before hitting was allowed in hockey, and to be aggressive on pucks. Also I don't think I've played a sport where I ran as much as I did in lacrosse, man that sport keeps you fit. Just seemed like I spent the whole 1 1/2 or whatever sprinting around and around.

The other aspect I liked about it much more than spring hockey (did both) is that you meet a whole different group of friends, it's very refreshing to have that as a kid. I know when I switched over to spring hockey when I was 13 to try and make that next step I wasn't having as much fun as when I was playing lacrosse, and in hindsight wish I just kept with lacrosse in the summer.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J epworth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #80
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player
 
GreenLantern2814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jahrmes View Post
More than 1 in 100 years though you'd think ?
Sure, if you assume Calgary minor hockey comprises 1000 kids a year. Which it does not.

Also, I would imagine that number is used in connection with community level organizations; 1 in 100,000 kids who plays through Trails West, Simons Valley, Mindapore, Blackfoot etc and doesn't go on to play for the Royals, Canucks etc makes the NHL.

Even at the club team level, the NHL success rate isn't that high.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:25 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016