Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Kensington Manor in Hillhurst Evacuated; Imminent Collapse Possible

Yikes.

Link

Quote:
Kensington Manor, in the 300 block of 10 Street Northwest, has been evacuated after an engineer determined the building to be unsafe and carried the possibility for an imminent collapse.

Calgary Fire Department officials confirm the building's 57 units have been evacuated and roughly 125 people have been displaced as a precautionary measure. Calgary Emergency Management Agency (CEMA) workers are on hand to assist.

An inspection of the building, which was constructed in 1969, is underway by a building inspector and a structural engineer.

The seven-storey building is situated on a popular pedestrian street within the Kensington Business Revitalization Zone and houses businesses, including the Running Room, on the ground floor.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow that's scary. Nice to see this was discovered before incident.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Global reporter to resident: "Have they given you any indication of just how grave the situation is?"

Uhhh...
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's been a couple of units on the east side with the balconies tarped off for quite a while. I also think there's been some extra temporary supports between the balconies.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who lives in the immediate area... i am not surprised. The management company couldn’t even clean up the property. I feel bad for the residents as the ones I️ have met have been just regular working folk with kids trying to make a living. I hope it gets solved soon.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #6
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ideally they could find new homes for everyone, then give that ugly ####er a little push to help it on it's way.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #7
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was watching the newscast and the reporter said "Building records show this building was built in 1967(or 1969) so it's fairly old"

All the arena talk regarding the "old, outdated and obsolete" Saddledome that was completed in 1983.

A recently married friend of mine who's completely gutting his 2010 built home because everything is "old and disgusting like the maple cabinets"

People in places like in Europe where buildings are in the hundred's and sometime's thousands of years old with little restorative work must just be shaking their heads. Why don't we ever build quality here so it lasts?
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #8
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
People in places like in Europe where buildings are in the hundred's and sometime's thousands of years old with little restorative work must just be shaking their heads. Why don't we ever build quality here so it lasts?
We do build quality, but it seems we would rather have new than fix old, or just don't maintain. Those buildings in Europe have been fixed many times over, we just don't bother. It's a shame really, cities will be revamped before they grow old.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #9
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just heard someone I know is being evacuated from there. Crazy.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #10
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
As someone who lives in the immediate area... i am not surprised. The management company couldn’t even clean up the property.
Come to think of it, the snow is never cleared from that stretch in a reasonable time
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:24 PM   #11
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I google mapped it because I wasnt sure what building it was. Looking at it, theres puddles of water on the roof. That cant be good.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:24 PM   #12
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn.

Feel bad for the tenants in that building.

Quote:
Scott Dippel
Residents of evacuated building in Kensington are being told the building will be uninhabitable for six months. Property manager advising them to find apartments elsewhere.

Sorry, that should be: uninhabitable for AT LEAST six months.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:00 PM   #13
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I live (should say lived) in this building. Very chaotic night. Thankful I have some helpful friends who are allowing me to stay at their place with the suitcase I was allowed to take with me. They offered us to stay at a hotel for 67 dollars a night if needed. What a "nice" gesture from the management team. If anyone has a rental available please inbox me. Looking for a new place to live!
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #14
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank goodness apartment vacancy is high - at least people will be able to locate new accommodation. Immediate term, hopefully friends and relatives can help bridge the gap.

Last edited by Bunk; 11-23-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:02 PM   #15
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I was watching the newscast and the reporter said "Building records show this building was built in 1967(or 1969) so it's fairly old"

All the arena talk regarding the "old, outdated and obsolete" Saddledome that was completed in 1983.

A recently married friend of mine who's completely gutting his 2010 built home because everything is "old and disgusting like the maple cabinets"

Well, we did take the opportunity to rearrange most of the bricks in Europe in the 1940's so they're welcome and I fully support the blitz on maple cabinets here.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2017, 12:44 AM   #16
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC91 View Post
I live (should say lived) in this building. Very chaotic night. Thankful I have some helpful friends who are allowing me to stay at their place with the suitcase I was allowed to take with me. They offered us to stay at a hotel for 67 dollars a night if needed. What a "nice" gesture from the management team. If anyone has a rental available please inbox me. Looking for a new place to live!
Are you even allowed to go back and get your belongings?
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:44 AM   #17
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We were allowed in briefly to get essential things. Basically just loaded up a few suitcases. They told us in 14 days we'd be allowed to move the rest of our stuff out but to look for a new place to live. They will be working on the building starting today to put steal beams throughout to make it safe for us to move our furniture and remains items out of the building
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:55 AM   #18
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ crappy time of year to have to be looking for a place to rent.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:14 AM   #19
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't this building also have substantial repairs done to its parking structure under the building? I seem to recall that from a year or two ago.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:18 AM   #20
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Global reporter to resident: "Have they given you any indication of just how grave the situation is?"

Uhhh...
Reporters fishing for that dramatic quote are the absolute worst.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote