Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Jackets 1 Flames 0 (OT)

Flames Lose in Overtime?

- TJ Brodie cough up costs them in extra time
- Mike Smith steals a point for the Flames
- Jackets bottled up the Flames and nuked Gaudreau's steak
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Flames Lose in Overtime?

- TJ Brodie cough up costs them in extra time
- Mike Smith steals a point for the Flames
- Jackets bottled up the Flames and nuked Gaudreau's steak
Well that wasn't very nice.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

A shame that Brodie had to have two colossal turnovers in a game where him and Hamonic, Travis especially, had an otherwise solid game.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:38 PM   #4
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you for bringing up glass pounding. By God I hate that. See it at every level of hockey and it looks awful IMO.

I also agree on Jagr as he is not having an easy go of it so far.

Overall, you are going to get soundly beaten once in a while and to steal a point is fantastic.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
Wyguy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Something has got to be done about Brodie. I can't imagine management has noticed. Before we go trading him, I would like to see other things tried with him. However, if management has the intention of, perhaps trying to coach there way out of this, then I would like to see him traded.
Wyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyguy View Post
Something has got to be done about Brodie. I can't imagine management has noticed. Before we go trading him, I would like to see other things tried with him. However, if management has the intention of, perhaps trying to coach there way out of this, then I would like to see him traded.
For what?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:43 PM   #7
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Something has got to be done about Brodie. I can't imagine management has noticed. .
...before the puck bounced on him on OT he was literally having a dominant game and arguably our best player with all the plays he was breaking up and sending forward. Nothing has to be done about Brodie. He didn't even actively screw up the final play with a bad decision... bad ice cost him.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I view Brodie as being a guy that if we dealt it would be regretted. You need someone that can effectively move the puck and get it to the skilled forwards. Ask teams who don't have that how much they want it.
Now what could change that is that the Flames have a number of mobile, puck moving dmen in the pipeline and if a couple work out they will be able to deal from a strength even moreso. And Brodie would fetch an impressive haul because he has an in-demand skill set that is tough to find and a killer contract.
But I certainly would not move him now.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 10:44 PM   #9
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, we already heard you on the other 10 threads where you have been ranting on about the same thing.

Your viewpoint has been noted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2017, 10:56 PM   #10
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

It's a bobble. It happens. Tough break for the guy.

Frolik may have nailed the crest today, but last OT he and Backlund did a good job isolating one defender on a 2 on 2 to make it 2 on 1 then scored the winner. So I like that duo in OT.

They got a point which is a good result given the game.

And steak should never be nuked.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:15 AM   #11
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree on Frolik. Or, at least, that play. He's a straight-line player who is fantastic at details, but when it comes to the kind of second-order strategic thinking that OT demands, he's just not that guy.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:10 AM   #12
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Agree on Frolik. Or, at least, that play. He's a straight-line player who is fantastic at details, but when it comes to the kind of second-order strategic thinking that OT demands, he's just not that guy.
Except for ... the last game they went to OT, he specifically was exactly "that guy". He worked with Backlund to turn a 2 on 2 to a 2 on 1 and scored the winner! Buried it!

You can read about it here on CP

Goodness, this place is weird

Edit: coaches use duos often. The Flames top 2 line duos are Johnny-Monny and Backlund- Frolik

Backlund-Frolik is the defensively responsible duo that 5 on 5 makes any other player better, and 3 on 3 is pretty rock solid. Including the winner last overtime game

Prior to tonight, the Flames were #1 in the league in games going past regulation the past few years with a .700 winning percentage. Guess who has been regularly thrown out as a core duo in this league best lineup? Backlund and Frolik

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 11-23-2017 at 01:19 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 06:50 AM   #13
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

the glass pounders are awesome....not!!!! I'd like to see gio of johnny get to visit these donkeys at their work place and pound on something near their work station.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #14
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with some of the head scratching in regards to player utilization. I personally don't understand Frolik or Versteeg being deployed in OT. I realize Frolik just scored in OT but ideally you would like more offensively gifted players on the ice and Tkachuk to me makes more sense with Backlund in OT. I don't understand why Ferland and Tkachuk don't see the ice in OT but given the teams good fortunes in OT (mostly due to Gaudreau and Monahan) not a huge complaint. Again though while it's great to see Jankowski in OT as you said it wasn't a very strong game for him so maybe the coach is playing a hunch? I also thought Bennett looked decent out there prior to being placed on the 4th line so again I don't know if it was a hunch because he liked what Versteeg was doing. I still don't know what to make of Gulutzan and I imagine long after he's fired (as all coaches are) that most of us will struggle to define what type of coach he was as his beliefs are a little against the grain of typical coaches. Maybe he's too smart for his own good and overthinks things? I don't know.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:07 AM   #15
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'm certainly not trying to slight Frolik, and I see his use when it comes to putting out a shut down threesome to burn up a shift for the opposition's best. But when it comes to being on offence and having a team where you want them he's not the guy that you want with the puck on his stick shooting.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #16
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

who was on the ice with chucky and gio when he torched crosby in OT? i want to see that trio
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #17
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'm certainly not trying to slight Frolik, and I see his use when it comes to putting out a shut down threesome to burn up a shift for the opposition's best. But when it comes to being on offence and having a team where you want them he's not the guy that you want with the puck on his stick shooting.
Yes but he's very good at the 3 on 3 possession game and, critically, the man on man game without the puck. Success at 3on3 is less about great offense and more about space and waiting for the breakdown.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #18
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Prior to tonight, the Flames were #1 in the league in games going past regulation the past few years with a .700 winning percentage. Guess who has been regularly thrown out as a core duo in this league best lineup? Backlund and Frolik
You forgot who was number #2. The Blue Jackets.

They're also #2 in the east this year. That's a good team. No shame in last nights OT loss.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote