Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2017, 07:00 PM   #61
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I am disappointed that this was not a TV interview, and that flames.nhl.com cheated out and did it over the phone.
I wouldn't automatically assume the Flames "cheaped out". Kipper has probably done a grand total of zero North American media interviews since he retired. The fact that he gave an interview at all is pretty amazing. I doubt he would want a camera crew invading his space -- that's just not how he rolls.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #62
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Kipper might have been a better overall athletic and consistent goalie for the Flames but I think people here are discounting a little how good of an overall goalie Vernon was.

He played and had a steller career/stats in VERY distinct era's of NHL hockey. His career started in the early 80's during which NHL goal scoring was insanely high compared to today's standard's and than he played all throughout the 90's when things became a little more shut down. He was the Conn Smythe winner in 1997 at age 34, no easy task considering the roster of that Red Wing's team.

He finished his career in the early 2000's covering 3 decades and I believe 20 NHL seasons.

Not to take anything away from Kipper, who's numbers as a Flame goalie are stunning but in the end it became a REALLY good 9 season run for the hometown team NHL wise.

I love Kipper and I do believe he is worthy of a jersey retirement but Vernon had one hell of a career and played in an era where tie games were a BIG thing.

Just my $0.02
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 07:50 PM   #63
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I think Kipper might have been a better overall athletic and consistent goalie for the Flames
One of my favourite kipper stories was the one where he was avoiding a team run on a mountain by hiding out in the bushes smoking cigarettes lol. Always used to run into him at A&W in shawnessy as well.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:15 PM   #64
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Retire #34 not Ken Kings B'S Forever a Flame either they appreciate Kipper for what he did as a Flame and retire his jersey number and hoist it to the rafters.
This Forever a Flame is a second rate joke. Retire the numbers and hoist them up along with the new player banners.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:00 AM   #65
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Not to take anything away from Kiprusoff, but it would be tragic if this organization did something for him before doing something for Fleury.
Though #14 is still out of circulation I'd argue #34 gets hung in the rafters first. Fleury has done well to rehabilitate his image in recent years, but ultimately was a bit player in 1989. Kip had individual hardware and took a team to the finals.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #66
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I wouldn't automatically assume the Flames "cheaped out". Kipper has probably done a grand total of zero North American media interviews since he retired. The fact that he gave an interview at all is pretty amazing. I doubt he would want a camera crew invading his space -- that's just not how he rolls.
Yeah I agree, Kipper doesn't seem like the guy who will do a tv interview in his home. We'll probably see one when he ends up in Calgary later on.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #67
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part 2...

Old 11-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #68
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think Kipper might have been a better overall athletic and consistent goalie for the Flames but I think people here are discounting a little how good of an overall goalie Vernon was.

He played and had a steller career/stats in VERY distinct era's of NHL hockey. His career started in the early 80's during which NHL goal scoring was insanely high compared to today's standard's and than he played all throughout the 90's when things became a little more shut down. He was the Conn Smythe winner in 1997 at age 34, no easy task considering the roster of that Red Wing's team.

He finished his career in the early 2000's covering 3 decades and I believe 20 NHL seasons.

Not to take anything away from Kipper, who's numbers as a Flame goalie are stunning but in the end it became a REALLY good 9 season run for the hometown team NHL wise.

I love Kipper and I do believe he is worthy of a jersey retirement but Vernon had one hell of a career and played in an era where tie games were a BIG thing.

Just my $0.02

ya....but those 5 holes goals at the worst times!!
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:56 AM   #69
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
ya....but those 5 holes goals at the worst times!!
Or over the shoulder. Or floating above him while he was on his back [aghhhhh].
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #70
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cripes...i can't even understand him.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #71
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:
icon57

Great to hear from Kipper again! How long before number 34 goes to the rafters?
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #72
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

No one should ever wear 12, 14 or 34 again
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:10 PM   #73
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Part 2...
Lol -- Darryl not happy when Kipper showed up with Nabokov's rejected equipment from San Jose (with his name stiched on and everything).

Miss that guy... can't wait for when he returns and the C of Red can acknowledge all he's done as a member of the Flames.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #74
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just my $0.02
I think it’s a very interesting comparison. Vernon won big games for this team no doubt, and it’s difficult to compare stats across eras. One difference to me is that Kipper really carried this team for a while which I wouldn’t say is true for Vernon necessarily.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #75
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Who made the nick name joke ? I couldnt understand
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #76
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Remembering those interviews with Mike Richards, one shudders to think of some of the things Kipper might be up to now.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #77
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Who made the nick name joke ? I couldnt understand
I'm pretty sure he said "Depo", referring to equipment manager Mark Depasquale.