Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #21
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
if/when you get modded, shrug and move on with your day
This is good advice. Once I realized this it was like seeing the matrix. You wonder why you didn't realize it before. Don't take the modding personally and move on with your day.

You'll get less ulcers, too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #22
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The problem is the inconsistency in the moderation of the board. I get they are volunteers and not getting any benefit for doing it and good on them but their is absolutely a problem with certain longtime posters being able to cross the line with no repercussions at all or ignoring of reports when some of the more outspoken members who do not agree with the masses gets piled on. Don't say we don't know if that person got an infraction or not, it doesn't matter when the offending post is left up after being reported. There is certainly bias on this board, there are members that have more board privileges than I have because I asked for my account to be deleted and then after a break I came back. So I took time off and asked to be brought back under a new name so I could avoid old conflicts but that was not allowed, I was to return as dissentowner and to stick to the FOI board and to not let posters bait me into arguing, the mods would do their job. Except they didn't, I had more than one post I reported that was left up after a poster baited me. Then I post an opinion in the OTB, break no rules, get piled on, and now I am not allowed to post in the OTF because that was much easier than addressing the piling on that had sprung up in that thread. So to review I was never suspended, I suspended myself, I came back as myself instead of the many other posters who were lifetime suspended from the board and then made an account under a different name and returned, yet I have less privileges than they have. I can't go to the OTB and talk about presents I am getting my kids or the Video game thread I started for what? But yes, no bias at all.... I don't care if you give me an infraction for crossing the line and breaking the rules, if I deserve it I deserve it but CALL IT THE SAME FOR EVERYONE! If you are going to enforce the rules enforce them the proper way, nip the problem in the bud before it gets carried away, and make it the same for everyone!

End rant.
Recently self-appointed moderator here.

You are as of now, banned from posting 10 days for whining, and a further 10 days for lack of paragraphs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #23
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Is there a list of all the moderators on this site? The one on the FOI page seems out of date or missing a few moderators.
The Following User Says Thank You to CKPThunder For This Useful Post:
Vox
Old 11-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #24
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Recently self-appointed moderator here.

You are as of now, banned from posting 10 days for whining, and a further 10 days for lack of paragraphs.

You are banned for indirectly making fun of a learning disability. You insensitive monster!
Old 11-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #25
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The only issue I've ever had with the mod team is about being infracted for accidentally starting a GDT a day early when the Flames had two days off between games -- something that I totally just missed. (I'm still pissed about that, by the way.) I was treated condescendingly by the moderator in question, who referred to me as someone who needed to "lose the attitude" when I tried to assert that it was simply an innocent mistake.

Do I view the mod in question as a bad mod? Nah, he's fine. We disagreed, I was mad for maybe a day, and then I stopped caring about it. It's just an internet forum.

Insane_Flame -- I think you're taking this a little far.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #26
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
CaptainCrunch moderator and evil Emperor.

Has a ring to it.

But seriously, Moderating is as much painful as it is subjective, even if you set up the most well defined rules, someone will always try to find a way to find a rule that wasn't defined.

A lot of boards, my Stamps board included used to take a lot of pride in things like free and open discussions, and letting the users self moderate to an extent, I mean hey that's why the ignore list is there. But it never works out well. And as a moderator you hate putting your footdown, or dropping the ban hammer because that user might be a great person and a great poster who had a bad day, or just can't get along with another poster and does something so outside the realm that you don't have a choice but to perma ban the person, and you feel like absolute crap afterwards.

I think the mods here do a great job, they're not over the top, they're polite, and I bet all of them have 6 pack abs and epic mullets.
He just said no objectifying! (Jagr is revered as a sex icon in Czech after all)

Overall I think the mod team does a pretty good job. I would imagine it difficult with a Hockey board as many posters come from very different lifestyles and mind sets unlike some other forums.
Thank those who do moderate as its a task I would have zero interest in doing.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #27
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

KevanGuy is good at Rocket League, so he's a'ight in my books.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #28
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The only issue I've ever had with the mod team is about being infracted for accidentally starting a GDT a day early when the Flames had two days off between games -- something that I totally just missed. (I'm still pissed about that, by the way.) I was treated condescendingly by the moderator in question, who referred to me as someone who needed to "lose the attitude" when I tried to assert that it was simply an innocent mistake.

Do I view the mod in question as a bad mod? Nah, he's fine. We disagreed, I was mad for maybe a day, and then I stopped caring about it. It's just an internet forum.

Insane_Flame -- I think you're taking this a little far.
Well that's just like you're opinion man.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:01 PM   #29
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally don't have issues with moderation on this site.

I haven't gotten a single PM back from anyone on the moderation team I've ever PMed though. I guess there isn't any real harm in that, outside of the slightly amusing impression I'm on all their ignore lists.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:03 PM   #30
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
I don't think the intent is this thread is to refute every accusation but given the level of misinformation in this post I feel obligated to provide a reply.

In July of 2016 you asked for your account to be deleted. We closed the account at that time.

Some time later you emailed us and asked to be re-instated under a new account. We suggested you return under your original name. We further advised that you avoid any discussions related to law enforcement. You agreed and further suggested you would stick to hockey talk.

With this understanding we re-opened the account.

Since you have been re-instated you have reported all of two posts. The first one we deemed to be more of a gentle ribbing (patting yourself on the back about something) as opposed to an outright attack.
The second, in looking at it now, should have been deleted.

So there isn't a huge pattern of you reporting posts that haven't been dealt with. There are two. One that we viewed to be harmless.

Folks want something that is impossible to achieve. Consistent moderation in a world where almost every decision requires subjectivity.

That's why as a group we routinely discuss items. We debate them and decide on the best course of action.

Do we get it right all the time? Of course not. Particularly since everyone's definition of right and wrong is different.

But there is no grand conspiracy against or for certain posters. Just a bunch of human beings making human decisions about subjective things.
Right, so I have absolutely avoided talking about law enforcement. I simply posted in an American Politics thread that I didn't like an American Politician, it got heated and I should have absolutely walked out of it. That does not change the fact that I did return as myself, there are other posters YOU KNOW are suspended returning posters under a new name yet I am the only guy on this board not allowed to talk about anything besides hockey. That is called being bias and it wrong. If I step over a line in any board throw the hammer at me but the fact I have less rights on this board then repeat lifetime suspended posters is wrong. The fact that I can't jump in to comment on what I am getting my kids for Christmas because I said when I returned the main reason I wanted to come back is I enjoy talking hockey with this community is wrong. Instead of sending me a message asking me to tone it down in that thread or pointing out things were getting heated and it was going to make things difficult your answer was to tell me to stay off the Off Topic forum. I would have absolutely walked away from that argument considering I didn't even really care about it. I got piled on and I let myself get dragged in and I should not have. Does not change the fact asking me to stay away from the OTF because of debate is bias.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #31
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think the Mods get a little 'power happy' with closing new threads and also gifs with good looking women but overall I think they do a good job.
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1

Last edited by Gaudreau is a Ninja; 11-15-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #32
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I simply posted in an American Politics thread that I didn't like an American Politician, it got heated and I should have absolutely walked out of it.
That's some hefty spin. You stated as fact that she was a sociopath and when people asked you to back your statement up, you threw a hissy fit.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:12 PM   #33
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
This is good advice. Once I realized this it was like seeing the matrix. You wonder why you didn't realize it before. Don't take the modding personally and move on with your day.

You'll get less ulcers, too.
This is 100% the correct attitude.

Being acerbic is a character fault, and I recognize that if I receive a probate or infraction for something volatile that I said (whether it be out of anger or misguided humour), all you do is shrug and thank the hockey gods that it wasn't permanent, and try to be mindful not to commit that particular error again.

And then you'll do something else stupid and the cycle begins anew, like a butterfly emerging from a chrysalis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #34
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
That's some hefty spin. You stated as fact that she was a sociopath and when people asked you to back your statement up, you threw a hissy fit.
I said imo she was, I linked an article describing the signs of a sociopath. It was an opinion I obviously never should have gave but it was my opinion. Someone else agreed she had mental issues most likely and he was not dogpiled on. I had a poster who agreed totally with me who pmed me because they were scared to voice their opinion. I really should have walked away from that whole thing, that whole mess started because I was trying to voice I could not understand how two bad choices were the only ones available. That has zero to do though with wanting to be treated like everybody else. You have been in some pretty heated discussions on the OTB Rubecube correct? Ever been asked to stay off of it afterward?
Old 11-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #35
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

My only beef with the moderating team was a few years ago when we made the playoffs and they shut down the Edmonton is no good thread out of respect for the Oilers or something until the playoffs began.

That was so wrong. The Oilers do not deserve respect here. Also, every day is a good day to discuss why Edmonton is no good. Limiting discussion on this topic is very wrong.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #36
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Modding's a tough job, especially when it comes to forums like CP. Its tough for a mod to remain objective when they have a personal connection.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #37
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mods do a great job and seem pretty knowledgeable open and flexible. They are unique in that they each contributes to the site in their own unique way. I am sure many times they don't feel appreciated; Especially if they have a long day at work, or at home. It can't be easy wearing so many hats every other day for uncalled, or unexpected situations..., "especially for the traditional drama class that shows up for wins and losses ".

Just a note of thanks to the mods for all your hard work and volunteered time!

I think those who are experienced posters on this site, perhaps consider what we as a community can do to improve or make their jobs easier? I know some have mentioned consistency but lets keep in mind banning people is the easy solution to a problem; The fact that the mods are willing to show some patience in some situations allows us time to change and to grow as a community.
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #38
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bingo you run a great site bud. Keep up the good work.

That is all.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #39
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I said imo she was, I linked an article describing the signs of a sociopath. It was an opinion I obviously never should have gave but it was my opinion. Someone else agreed she had mental issues most likely and he was not dogpiled on. I had a poster who agreed totally with me who pmed me because they were scared to voice their opinion. I really should have walked away from that whole thing, that whole mess started because I was trying to voice I could not understand how two bad choices were the only ones available. That has zero to do though with wanting to be treated like everybody else. You have been in some pretty heated discussions on the OTB Rubecube correct? Ever been asked to stay off of it afterward?
Was it another person you were calling sociopathic or a political figure?
Old 11-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #40
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Mods do a great job and seem pretty knowledgeable open and flexible. They are unique in that they each contributes to the site in their own unique way. I am sure many times they don't feel appreciated; Especially if they have a long day at work, or at home. It can't be easy wearing so many hats every other day for uncalled, or unexpected situations..., "especially for the traditional drama class that shows up for wins and losses ".

Just a note of thanks to the mods for all your hard work and volunteered time!

I think those who are experienced posters on this site, perhaps consider what we as a community can do to improve or make their jobs easier? I know some have mentioned consistency but lets keep in mind banning people is the easy solution to a problem; The fact that the mods are willing to show some patience in some situations allows us time to change and to grow as a community.
Your teachers must have looooved you in school haha. Good on ya bud. Great attitude. I mean that!
The Following User Says Thank You to Insane_Flame For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread