Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2023, 02:21 PM   #3121
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Just asking questions...
guess he didn't want to answer any.........

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 02:46 PM   #3122
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
There is a definite gross power dynamic to be considered here, but it does not absolve the PA from the action in any way either in my books - you absolutely have every choice to remove yourself from the situation or to stand up for yourself against a creep like this in this setting and you know, not expose yourself to him and whoever else is around. Not only is it a problem for you, but it is in a way greenlighting this behaviour by Brand to continue if he's getting what he wants.

Tell Brand to eff off and deal with the fallout should it turn against you. If your employer isn't going to back you (there would have had to been witnesses) you don't want to and shouldn't be working there anyway. No job or money is worth putting up with that kind of bs and who knows if taking action or ripping a strip off of him would have stopped or prevented further instances from ever occurring.
This post is hot flatus.

What the f-ck dude. Yeah, it's totally fair to say that the PA should have just stood up to a massive name in the business and potentially torpedo her own career in the process. God damn.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 02:53 PM   #3123
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just here for the CP pile on brigade.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2023, 04:44 PM   #3124
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to work with a guy that worked for a long time in the film industry. He wasn't an actor, but he worked in wardrobe and some other off screen jobs. Even at that level he said that he was expected to put out by the people above him. It's one of the reasons he quit the industry.
Old 09-21-2023, 06:02 PM   #3125
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yeah, the snarky bite backs seem in high demand these days here.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 06:30 PM   #3126
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Yeah, the snarky bite backs seem in high demand these days here.
It was actually a joke, because some people think there is a brigade that goes around attacking posters, when the reality is when you say something dumb everyone calls you out for it, and it has nothing to do with a secret brigade.
Old 09-21-2023, 06:32 PM   #3127
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
It was actually a joke, because some people think there is a brigade that goes around attacking posters, when the reality is when you say something dumb everyone calls you out for it, and it has nothing to do with a secret brigade.
Shut uuuuup, man. The first rule of Brigade is you do not talk about Brigade.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2023, 06:51 PM   #3128
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Checking in
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2023, 08:47 PM   #3129
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Shut uuuuup, man. The first rule of Brigade is you do not talk about Brigade.
Wait, is there actually a brigade I'm not invited to? Jeez, I feel like a real Homer.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:56 PM   #3130
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Old 09-21-2023, 09:06 PM   #3131
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I just said it's possible, maybe even probable that someone his interests conflict with may have used their own influence to spur on investigations into his rumoured behaviour over those decades. What's farfetched about that? It's probably in the interest of a number of people for Russell and his influence on millions of people to be silenced. Especially someone with his agenda of stone turning.

If there's any change of conflict of interest it's not with the entities that are out to get him, it's with the entities that have been protecting him.

In years past, Brand was someone who could make certain people a lot of money, so plenty of powerful people kept their mouths shut about his creepy, rapey, criminal behavior.

Brand has tanked his own career to the point where he doesn't make those people enough money to protect him anymore.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 09:28 PM   #3132
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
If there's any change of conflict of interest it's not with the entities that are out to get him, it's with the entities that have been protecting him.

In years past, Brand was someone who could make certain people a lot of money, so plenty of powerful people kept their mouths shut about his creepy, rapey, criminal behavior.

Brand has tanked his own career to the point where he doesn't make those people enough money to protect him anymore.
Still making money off Rumble! I wonder if promoting rappers is part of their sales pitch.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 12:19 AM   #3133
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:
Ducks

Interesting that merely accusations - not a conviction, not even a formal charge gets you shut down/demonetized now.

I think there's an issue here that goes beyond RB.

It's the unnerving reality that any one has the power at any time to give the media a story and cause someone to lose their job before even the beginnings of a due process have a chance to take place.

If people were to leverage this power dishonestly, it would not only possibly doom innocent individuals, but also disempower real victims who might get lost in the shuffle. I wouldn't be surprised if this is happening (not necessarily in this case, but in general).

There are more than a few Amber Heards out there, willing to forego truth to achieve an outcome that serves them, at the cost someone else's livelihood. This is why no matter the optics, we have to let the justice system do its work and come to a verdict before shutting people down.

I think that's the important bigger conversation to be had, irrespective of Brand's guilt or innocence. Things have progressed faster on this than they probably should given that we're nowhere even close to any kind of legal proceeding.

RB getting shut down immediately will just give his supporters firepower, and it plays into his narrative.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 12:45 AM   #3134
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russel Brand shut down/demonetized himself
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 12:51 AM   #3135
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting that merely accusations - not a conviction, not even a formal charge gets you shut down/demonetized now.

I see where you're going and...I disagree. But only specifically in this case.

I wouldnt give Russel Brand $3.50 if he was begging on the streets spouting his nonsense.

That guy gives me the creeps.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 01:41 AM   #3136
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

And that's not to detract from the seriousness of sexual assault where it has occurred. I don't want to overshadow that, but discuss another potential issue that's arising from stories like this. Any potential victims who believe they've been violated deserve to be heard and shouldn't be dissuaded from coming forward because of these concerns that I know are being brought up online right now by both men and women. But the concern of innocent until proven guilty losing its significance in the modern landscape (now more like innocent until alleged guilty) is a warranted one.

Companies are within their rights to demonetize or cut associations with creators/employees because of mere allegations, but it doesn't mean isn't still rash and reflects poorly on them accused end up being exonerated.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 01:47 AM   #3137
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

It’s not like this is a new possibility or new conversation, so I have no idea why Brand’s situation would be the one to inspire it again.

I don’t know if we have to rehash “What if cancel culture… bad?” every time a predator gets called out.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2023, 05:46 AM   #3138
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Wait, is there actually a brigade I'm not invited to? Jeez, I feel like a real Homer.

No formal invitation process, it's just Mr Coffee logging in at night and getting paranoid.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 02:47 PM   #3139
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:

While I'm not saying the court of public opinion should be all-powerful, it does seem that it does go harder in certain instances. There have been actors since the MeToo movement began that got hit and people raised a hesitant flag (Aziz Ansari comes to mind). Meanwhile on the other end of the spectrum is the Spaceys and the Brands who we start hearing multiple stories of terrible behaviour almost immediately.

As for the other comment (not made by Trent), man if you can't see why a minion on a movie set below the poverty line can't stand up against a movie star, I don't know what to tell ya. I mean Jesus, other movie stars didn't even speak up until his victims came forward. To think a movie studio is going to shut down a multi-million dollar production because a replaceable cog in the machine speaks up is insane. This is not an industry known to give much of damn.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 04:18 PM   #3140
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
While I'm not saying the court of public opinion should be all-powerful, it does seem that it does go harder in certain instances. There have been actors since the MeToo movement began that got hit and people raised a hesitant flag (Aziz Ansari comes to mind). Meanwhile on the other end of the spectrum is the Spaceys and the Brands who we start hearing multiple stories of terrible behaviour almost immediately.

As for the other comment (not made by Trent), man if you can't see why a minion on a movie set below the poverty line can't stand up against a movie star, I don't know what to tell ya. I mean Jesus, other movie stars didn't even speak up until his victims came forward. To think a movie studio is going to shut down a multi-million dollar production because a replaceable cog in the machine speaks up is insane. This is not an industry known to give much of damn.
Aziz Ansari not actually doing anything criminal helped his case too.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote