Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #961
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who are buying bitcoin, what's your preferred exchange and way of buying? Trying to minimize fees, and maximize convenience.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #962
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Holy crap. That is truly horrifying. At least he's being made whole. lol. I've heard nightmares about Interactive Brokers and Robinhood. I wished I was a US citizen, then I could trade with Webull.
I'd be on Tastyworks so fast if it was available here.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:57 PM   #963
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Holy crap. That is truly horrifying. At least he's being made whole. lol. I've heard nightmares about Interactive Brokers and Robinhood. I wished I was a US citizen, then I could trade with Webull.
Interactive Brokers is pretty much the opposite of Robinhood in just about every possible way.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #964
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
For those who are buying bitcoin, what's your preferred exchange and way of buying? Trying to minimize fees, and maximize convenience.
GBTC is tradable stock that acts like an ETF. Probable the closest thing without actually owning bitcoin.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 05-17-2020 at 06:17 PM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:08 PM   #965
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quite the day again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
GBTC is tradable stock that acts like an ETF. Probable the closest thing without actually owning bitcoin.
Thanks, although I actually own a little bit already. I was mainly wondering what other people are doing in terms of buying actual bitcoin.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:34 PM   #966
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
There's no new news really, and while I don't believe the market truly understands the vastness of this pandemic, I bought a bank today to look to swing about an 8% gain in the next few weeks. Again, I don't believe in the market in the next few months, but I believe in the very near term businesses reopening should help the markets a little bit. I think the recovery will be slow though.
Nice play sir
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 04:54 PM   #967
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nice play sir
Hold your horses. I bought it on the tsx. I’d have honestly sold yesterday but the markets were closed. This morning the stock heavily retreated. If I sold now I’d maybe gain 1%. Yesterday about 6-7%. We’ll see over the next coming days.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #968
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hold your horses. I bought it on the tsx. I’d have honestly sold yesterday but the markets were closed. This morning the stock heavily retreated. If I sold now I’d maybe gain 1%. Yesterday about 6-7%. We’ll see over the next coming days.
You can sell stock you bought on the TSX on the NYSE. I've done it both ways for Norberts Gambit (to exchange currency) but it also works to access markets when one is closed.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:41 PM   #969
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
You can sell stock you bought on the TSX on the NYSE. I've done it both ways for Norberts Gambit (to exchange currency) but it also works to access markets when one is closed.
I’ve used Norberts Gambit for foreign exchange (DLR.U/DLR.UN) but the process of journaling is a few days with Questrade. So say I buy blackberry on the TSX, what is the process for selling it on the NYSE on a day where the TSX is closed??
Old 05-20-2020, 12:55 AM   #970
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve used Norberts Gambit for foreign exchange (DLR.U/DLR.UN) but the process of journaling is a few days with Questrade. So say I buy blackberry on the TSX, what is the process for selling it on the NYSE on a day where the TSX is closed??
I dont have Questrade, but I've done it with multiple other brokers. You may need a margin account depending on how questrade does it. Just enter a sell order for your shares using the NYSE symbol on the NYSE.

RBC Direct gives you a warning that you've sold in a different currency account than you own the shares, and will process the journaling automatically, but not until the trade settles.

Other brokers might treat it as a short sale, but just have the long position journaled over right away. It will eat up some margin until they do that.

I tend to do Norberts gambit with the big bank shares instead of DLR, because the bid-ask spreads are lower. I do the buy and sell simultaneously to avoid any price slippage.
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 05:27 AM   #971
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks. I’ll give that a shot some time. I didn’t you I was able to do that. Cool!
Old 05-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #972
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anybody invested in Chinese securities, be careful.

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/stat...699851777?s=20

Quote:
SENATE PASSES BILL AIMED AT BOOSTING OVERSIGHT OF CHINESE COS, BILL COULD REQUIRE CHINESE COS. TO DELIST FROM U.S. EXCHANGES, AND ALSO BILL WOULD REQUIRE COS. TO CERTIFY NO FOREIGN GOVT. CONTROL
Essentially, companies could be delisted from the exchange.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:39 PM   #973
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone else looking at good mid cap O&G's to buy up with the recent surge?
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:04 PM   #974
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Anyone else looking at good mid cap O&G's to buy up with the recent surge?
I'm investing in a couple, including Enbridge and IPL. I've been slowly putting money into Enbridge from my TFSA. Their dividend is really good (8.5 % i believe), and their stock has been really cheap the past couple months. It's climbed since, but that dividend is really inviting.

My thoughts are even if oil crashes, the world will always need pipelines regardless, so my investment in Enbridge is safe. Crossing my fingers Biden isn't elected. haha

I won't touch O and G though in my trading though. I think I'm too biased and optimistic to trade O and G stuff, so I end up bag holding.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 06:09 PM   #975
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm investing in a couple, including Enbridge and IPL. I've been slowly putting money into Enbridge from my TFSA. Their dividend is really good (8.5 % i believe), and their stock has been really cheap the past couple months. It's climbed since, but that dividend is really inviting.

My thoughts are even if oil crashes, the world will always need pipelines regardless, so my investment in Enbridge is safe. Crossing my fingers Biden isn't elected. haha

I won't touch O and G though in my trading though. I think I'm too biased and optimistic to trade O and G stuff, so I end up bag holding.
I thought with Boomers retiring senior care facilities were a good bet long term. What could possibly go wrong there? I thought. Super safe investment. I did not, however, anticipate COVID. Whoops. There is always some unforeseen thing that turns a safe bet into a crappy one.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 06:22 PM   #976
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm planning on selling my last O&G positions soon, not add to them. Too much uncertainty in OPEC and US Shale.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:31 PM   #977
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you work in Calgary your house and job are tied to oil in some form. To me investing additional dollars in oil is poor diversification.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 10:09 PM   #978
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Be wary of the Dividend trap. Nevermind an Energy Related divided stock.

I find growth stocks more appealing for someone in your Age range. Sure you can make the 8.5% per annum dividend, or you can look at other growth stocks that while carry more risk can return a much higher rate over the long run.

If you have to stick to Canadian stocks, look at Shopify. Yes, the chart is insane this year, however their business still has a lot of growth potential. Even Constellation software is good bet.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 11:13 PM   #979
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

TD and RBC. May be a downturn in the near future but for Canadian investments you can get a safe 6% gain with a 5% dividend averaged long term.

Edit: Really nice in the TFSA

Last edited by Samonadreau; 05-20-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #980
GKDarts
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
TD and RBC. May be a downturn in the near future but for Canadian investments you can get a safe 6% gain with a 5% dividend averaged long term.

Edit: Really nice in the TFSA
I was looking at the banks...why do you prefer TD and RBC to BNS/BMO/CIBC?

Thanks!
GKDarts is offline   Reply With Quote