Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #1441
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Edmonton imploding early is the worst case scenario as a Flames fan though.

- They are again in the running for a top 5 pick
- It's likely they clean house with coaches, management, etc and you run the risk they hire someone who knows what they are doing.

They need to be mediocre, barely miss the playoffs, and keep all the personnel status quo.

It's hilariously unbeleivable that we have this conversation every year too. I remember thinking along the same lines back in what, 2006? 2007? and every year since. Is someone actively sabotaging that franchise from the inside out? It's hard to believe that they can continue to be THAT incompetent......and yet here we are, where the new oil is the same as the old oil.

It's fascinating.
Waiting for the McDavid asks for a trade rumours to pop up if the Oilers are in the lottery sweepstakes to finish the season.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #1442
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I guess its just me, and I do get the point of the thread, but....

How much joy are you guys really getting with petty nicknames like "Coilers" and "McDoofus" and "McDingus" etc etc etc.

The team itself is already a joke. The names just seem super petty and kind of childish and none particularly inventive or witty.

Anyways, just wanted to comment on that, as I see it pretty often and it always makes me discount the content of the post when I see something like that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #1443
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

No matter how low we go with silly nicknames, the team itself sinks even lower so I'm not too worried about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #1444
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post

How much joy are you guys really getting with petty nicknames like "Coilers" and "McDoofus" and "McDingus" etc etc etc.

The team itself is already a joke. The names just seem super petty and kind of childish and none particularly inventive or witty.

Anyways, just wanted to comment on that, as I see it pretty often and it always makes me discount the content of the post when I see something like that.
We only use his Slave Name. When he is a freeman he will return to his given name. Until then He will be known as McChildishNickname.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #1445
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Oh I don’t know, maybe because at the time the Oilers won the lottery for the 4th time in a 6 year span? Or maybe that they didn’t have a good chance at all at picking McDavid with a 11% chance?

It’s just ridiculous. For a team having picked 1st overall so many times you would think that they’d be good by now and not have to be a bottom feeder to even remotely have had a chance at McDavid. McDavid at this point is the only reason why this team can even score goals now.

We have never drafted top 3 and deserve someone generational like McDavid. Maybe the name calling is weird, but I deem it worthy with how awful the organization runs up north. I won’t be shocked if McDavid asks for a trade in 3-4 years if there’s no success. I don’t feel any sympathy for him at all, especially since he signed a 100m extension to stay in hell.

Hell yeah I’m petty AF.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #1446
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

The team itself is already a joke. The names just seem super petty and kind of childish and none particularly inventive or witty...
The numerous reconstructions of the name "McDavid" in this thread are perhaps actually one of the more sophisticated components of the humour behind it. In 2014 when McDavid was drafted by the Oilers posters at HFOilers en masse began to change their usernames to incorporate the nominal prefix "Mc" as a form of tribute. The appearance of the mostly nonsensical variations of McDavid's name on CP stemmed from this ridiculous and futile enterprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 10-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #1447
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The numerous reconstructions of the name "McDavid" in this thread are perhaps actually one of the more sophisticated components of the humour behind it. In 2014 when McDavid was drafted by the Oilers posters at HFOilers en masse began to change their usernames to incorporate the nominal prefix "Mc" as a form of tribute. The appearance of the mostly nonsensical variations of McDavid's name on CP stemmed from this ridiculous and futile enterprise.
I just did it because all the cool kids were doing it.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #1448
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I just did it because all the cool kids were doing it.
And McBuff sounds like a Simpsons' character
Old 10-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #1449
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

- It's likely they clean house with coaches, management, etc and you run the risk they hire someone who knows what they are doing.

They need to be mediocre, barely miss the playoffs, and keep all the personnel status quo.

It's hilariously unbeleivable that we have this conversation every year too. I remember thinking along the same lines back in what, 2006? 2007? and every year since. Is someone actively sabotaging that franchise from the inside out? It's hard to believe that they can continue to be THAT incompetent......and yet here we are, where the new oil is the same as the old oil.

It's fascinating.
Who would come in to that tire fire? Nobody in their right mind would take that GM position if the Oilers crash and burn again this season if Katz has his “Glee Club” looking on in the background. If and when the fire Chiapet, the will appoint another from the old boys club (Gretzky, Messier, McTavish again) so no worries about this ship ever righting itself.

If, in the off chance an outsider does take over, to make the club respectable, there are so few assets to trade, McCrybaby may be traded to to rebuild, and he may be willing to get out of that joke of a losing franchise after another frustrating losing season with no winning in sight!
Old 10-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #1450
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't do it often, although I did like "Collar McBroken" back in the day.

admission - I use McBackup because I can't spell the real name with ease.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #1451
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's fascinating.
The sooner this happens, the sooner we get to see GG bring his 50/50 hockey to Edmonton. I am all for that!
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #1452
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Aside from being gifted McDavid, what has Charelli done to keep his job? LOL
Old 10-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #1453
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Aside from being gifted McDavid, what has Charelli done to keep his job? LOL
That's private between Katz, Nicholson and Gretz.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #1454
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
David Staples blocked me ...
Yeah, but has Francis blocked you?
Old 10-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #1455
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can see it, McLellan fired by Xmas and GG takes over. Spring 2019 Oilers fire Chia and hire Messier to be the new GM and hire Coffey as the new HC.
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #1456
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
That's private between Katz, Nicholson and Gretz.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #1457
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Auston Matthews has 14 points on the season, all Edmonton players combine for 15 points.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #1458
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
The sooner this happens, the sooner we get to see GG bring his 50/50 hockey to Edmonton. I am all for that!
Do you think he's already putting the dollars into the emotional bank account? Has he withdrawn from McDavid yet? Whose bank account has the most emotions in it? Does Glen look that up on his ipad during the game?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #1459
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Yeah, but has Francis blocked you?
Only two blocks to date.

Staples recently and one that saddens me Brian McGrattan. Don't remember ever saying anything against McGrattan on twitter, but maybe I was in a discussion about fighters no longer being needed? Just a guess.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #1460
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Hmmmmm ... McInteresting