Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #481
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
What did you like about Phasma?
I think Gwendoline Christie is an excellent actor. Phasma is also a very good representation of a character that would be likely to succeed in a top down fascist style government, like the New Order.

I may be influenced by the fact that I liked Christie in the GoT. I think they missed a major opportunity to play off that by presenting a character with similar demeanour but also totally self-serving and sadistic.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:16 AM   #482
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
So if TLJ luke wasn't really luke then I'd like to just think of TLJ as not really star wars.

In fact I'm going to omit 8 and see 7 and 9 as their own thing. The Abrams arc. Luke trained Rey and passed away like Yoda in the time gap between TFA and ROS. Snoke was a meaningless pawn who was just speaking for Sidious, the true larger threat. Boom.

Hopefully the references to 8 are so minimal that that will be possible. The only thing I'd like to see carried over is porgs.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:20 AM   #483
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

This will be the best or worst Star Wars movie. There is no in between
Old 10-31-2019, 06:17 AM   #484
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
This will be the best or worst Star Wars movie. There is no in between
The ESB was so good and there is so much crap already. It'd be very tough to be either the best or worst. I'm hoping for Rouge One but would settle for TFA.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:25 AM   #485
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The ESB was so good and there is so much crap already. It'd be very tough to be either the best or worst. I'm hoping for Rouge One but would settle for TFA.
Good luck trying to top ESB which had the best storylines of the series with so many good things going on such as the introduction of Yoda, the Leah and Solo storyline, Luke and Vader storyline. It was just one of those movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark where it's a perfectly paced roller coaster. Another thing clearly lacking in the new series is that they don't have a character nearly as charismatic as Ford's Han Solo who really shined in ESB.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:26 AM   #486
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They also don't have a villain like Darth Vader, a ruthless driven killing machine that would stop at nothing to attain his goals.

Kylo is an ok secondary villain, but like Rey said, he's no Vader
Snoke was a disposable yeoman and a flat character.
They also made the First Order and Hux a crew of bumbling pirates.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:01 AM   #487
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snoke had potential, and then they just killed him off for giggles.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:07 AM   #488
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
They also don't have a villain like Darth Vader, a ruthless driven killing machine that would stop at nothing to attain his goals..
I put the blame on TLJ for all of these

Quote:
struggled to become a bad guy in TFA and seemingly crossed over with the dad murder. but then in next movie returns to waffling back and forth, and trashes his helmet so we're forced to endure his whiny baby tears.

Quote:
was only a brief hologram in TFA so the door was open to expand his character. instead was presented as a grinning dumbass in a bathrobe with no backstory or interesting plan/dialogue.

Quote:
they were reasonably competent in TFA, even if the nazi rally yelling isn't as menacing as a calm Tarkin. but suddenly Hux is now slapstick humor guy to get thrown around by force users, so that you can laugh as hard as when Jar Jar accidentally stepped in the doo doo.

TLJ's flaws were too big to contain in a single movie, so it made TFA retroactively worse as well. which sucks cause I used to enjoy TFA a lot more before finding out what happens to all the characters later. sort of like how I don't think I'll watch early GoT seasons again even though they're amazing, because I know they just get turned into empty shells of themselves in the end.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 09:46 AM   #489
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hopefully it's a more well executed revenge of the sith

Or a less goofy return of the jedi.

With the rewatch value of Rogue One.

That's what I'm hoping for. Exceeding IV of V would be next to impossible to do given the hand Abrams has been dealt.

Sidious, the Knights of Ren and the bounty hunter-esque girl are aspects that if used right could really elevate the film.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #490
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

For some reason, it makes me feel better that Mark Hamill hates TLJ too.

It's a garbage film on it's own, but what's worse is that it now makes TFA worse because of how the story went, and there is only a slim chance TROS can be good, given the crap TLJ is.

If I was King of the World I would strike Episode 8 from the record and tell JJ to do the whole trilogy on his own. With Lawrence Kasdan helping.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:22 AM   #491
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
For some reason, it makes me feel better that Mark Hamill hates TLJ too.

It's a garbage film on it's own, but what's worse is that it now makes TFA worse because of how the story went, and there is only a slim chance TROS can be good, given the crap TLJ is.

If I was King of the World I would strike Episode 8 from the record and tell JJ to do the whole trilogy on his own. With Lawrence Kasdan helping.
Retroactively ruining your own #### is totally Star Wars though. Midichlorians to ruin your mythology? Slamming jarring CG all over your old movies for no positive gain whatsoever? Vader ghost being someone Luke wouldn't even know?

Star Wars baby.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 11:09 AM   #492
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Retroactively ruining your own #### is totally Star Wars though. Midichlorians to ruin your mythology? Slamming jarring CG all over your old movies for no positive gain whatsoever? Vader ghost being someone Luke wouldn't even know?

Star Wars baby.
Feel that juicy nectar dripping down your chin!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:35 AM   #493
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I put the blame on TLJ for all of these

struggled to become a bad guy in TFA and seemingly crossed over with the dad murder. but then in next movie returns to waffling back and forth, and trashes his helmet so we're forced to endure his whiny baby tears.

I like Adam Driver as an actor, I think he's been good in other Star Wars movies, I don't know if the casting has worked for me so far with the character of Ben Solo/Kylo Ren. I remember that scene in TFA when he blows a spaz and destroys that control room and they pan outside and the Storm Troopers go walking the other way. I get that was played for laughs, but it was just cementing that Kylo is an emotionally unstable teenager. I thought that the idea of sacrificing his father so he could meet his destiny would be a great moment and we'd get a more monstrous Kylo Ren, but it didn't work out that way, and the scene where they're blasting Luke and he's screaming more more and Hux goes that's enough, I was baffled, are laser bolts that expensive. Kylo just hasn't worked, and I think they don't know how to balance, the fall to the darkside with scared teenager who thought his uncle was going to murder him. I don't know what his motivations really are.

Quote:
was only a brief hologram in TFA so the door was open to expand his character. instead was presented as a grinning dumbass in a bathrobe with no backstory or interesting plan/dialogue.

Of all the characters Snoke really dissapointed me in the second movie. I mean he's extremely powerful, but the whole throne room speech and mopping the floor with Hux didn't create a character at all. I believe Rian knew that he was the sacrifice (There's that word) to Ren. But it didn't have meaning because they didn't develop Snoke as a real for real threat.

With Palpatine you knew he was a threat. In Empire they introduced him as a hologram, but in ROTJ, you just had a feeling that he was a major threat, he was running a high stakes poker game on two fronts. And he didn't lift a finger til the end, he sat there defenseless and was that confidence, and that made him awesome. Plus they gave him elf shoes. Seriously, and then again they had to do the sight gag of Hux staring at the corpse as it slid off the chair. It was almost to me equivalent to the accidental fart joke in any movie.

Quote:
they were reasonably competent in TFA, even if the nazi rally yelling isn't as menacing as a calm Tarkin. but suddenly Hux is now slapstick humor guy to get thrown around by force users, so that you can laugh as hard as when Jar Jar accidentally stepped in the doo doo.

They were in the first movie decent, even though you only saw one ship. But that scene in taking the village was well done in terms of framing that these storm troopers could hit targets and not bang their heads on the roof. They built a death star that could practically shoot death stars. Hux was competent in that first movie. I liked the Nazi rally frankly because in a few lines it gave justification to the First Order so they weren't just mustache twirling heavies. The Republic is corrupt, supports the Resistance and brings disorder to the Galaxy. Simple

In the second movie, they made Hux a slimy back stabber, and not only did his incompetence get a Dreadnaught destroyed, but he called off the fighter attacks even though the First Order Fighters were kicking the Crap out of the Resistance Fleet and had destroyed their air cover. And yeah, the slow speed chase was really silly. Yeah the General Hugs thing was stupid and unfunny. But overall they just destroyed the character throughout that movie by making him a prat falling fool.

There were some really good moments in TLJ. I really liked the bitterness in Luke's voice when he talked about the arrogance of the Jedi. I liked the shades of Grey discussion when we saw arms dealers selling to both sides to get richer. But there was too much awkward, too much played for laughs and splash, and the Villains weren't good at being Villains.

When I go back to ESB in the near final scene when the Falcon goes to Hyperdrive, and Vader stares out the window for a second and then starts walking towards Piett, we all thought the same thing. Nice knowing you Admiral, but when he walks by without killing Piett it made Vader not only even more intimidating but really rounded out.

The Sequels have really missed the mark on that.

TLJ's flaws were too big to contain in a single movie, so it made TFA retroactively worse as well. which sucks cause I used to enjoy TFA a lot more before finding out what happens to all the characters later. sort of like how I don't think I'll watch early GoT seasons again even though they're amazing, because I know they just get turned into empty shells of themselves in the end.[/QUOTE]

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 11:41 AM   #494
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Star Wars baby.
I don't know what you're talking about, changes like this are 100% seamless, justified and believable.

Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:59 AM   #495
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's just have faith that Abrams is going to pull everything together in IX, explaining why certain things happened in TLJ, thus making IX the greatest Star Wars movie ever and even elevating our perceptions of TLJ...
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:01 PM   #496
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know what you're talking about, changes like this are 100% seamless, justified and believable.

All the changes made from the original.

The original sets were just so good and made the world seem so real and lived in. The random CGI just pulls you right out of that. Admittedly some of the creature costumes look horribly outdated now, but much better than simply replacing them with random CGI. Also....how could they not do a better job of the Jabba the Hut scene in 2011? The 1997 one understandably looks dates...but the 2011 just looks a different colour and arguably worse.

How does ILM possibly go from making realistic looking sets and spaceships, using contrast, lighting, shadowing, etc... to some of the worst CGI out there?
Old 10-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #497
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They also don't have a villain like Darth Vader, a ruthless driven killing machine that would stop at nothing to attain his goals.

Like you I really like Adam Driver the actor but I feel he's miscast as Kylo Ren. He just doesn't have a menacing demeanor.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 12:13 PM   #498
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
How does ILM possibly go from making realistic looking sets and spaceships, using contrast, lighting, shadowing, etc... to some of the worst CGI out there?
Good question. How come T2 looks better than any Terminator film since? I think in large part it's because when you're limited in what you can do with CGI it keeps you grounded in reality. You aren't going to do something that greatly defies physics because you can't. Putting models on a track with a motion camera is still using actual physics. The T1000 had one trick, turn into a shiny liquid. Now the Terminator can shape into almost anything so they do it at every opportunity, and it looks stupid.

See the LOTR films they have some questionable effects but overall it feels real. Then CGI was considered good enough to replace practical work so they went that way in the Hobbit films. The visuals is many parts are awful.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 12:28 PM   #499
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Good question. How come T2 looks better than any Terminator film since? I think in large part it's because when you're limited in what you can do with CGI it keeps you grounded in reality. You aren't going to do something that greatly defies physics because you can't. Putting models on a track with a motion camera is still using actual physics. The T1000 had one trick, turn into a shiny liquid. Now the Terminator can shape into almost anything so they do it at every opportunity, and it looks stupid.

See the LOTR films they have some questionable effects but overall it feels real. Then CGI was considered good enough to replace practical work so they went that way in the Hobbit films. The visuals is many parts are awful.
Agreed. Generally, it just seems like they used to put more thought into action pieces. T2 is a great example. Every car chase scene looks like it was painstakingly planned out to the finest detail. Now they just say...wouldn't it be cool if this happened and fire up the CGI.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:38 PM   #500
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Only Darth Jar Jar can save it now.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nerd rage