Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2022, 10:53 AM   #941
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Really, his biggest mistake was to hit a bus full of hockey players in Canada. He won't be in as much scrutiny if he, per se, hit a bus full of foreign tourists.

The guy is harmless, and I think he will be a good asset to society for Canada if he can stay and be put in some sort of a safe-driving spokesman and industry educator...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 11:28 AM   #942
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
His crime was falsifying log books and driving more hours than allowed.

He was an impaired driver who blew a stop sign.
Yeah, he had 70 violations in 11 days. I have a lot of questions about that, like how much of a role the company and industry as a whole played into that. I am sure it is complicated (or maybe not, I don't know).
Old 03-12-2022, 01:44 PM   #943
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Yeah, he had 70 violations in 11 days. I have a lot of questions about that, like how much of a role the company and industry as a whole played into that. I am sure it is complicated (or maybe not, I don't know).
For a new driver to have that many violations, the employer and the industry are a major part of the problem.

I don't see any benefit to deporting him.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 03-12-2022, 02:29 PM   #944
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Pre Humboldt the province didn't do the testing for class 1 licensing, this was mostly because immigrants who wanted to drive a truck cited language barriers in trying to get licensed, problem is a lot of driving schools popped up and didn't give proper training and in some cases very little training at all, most would have someone train on an automatic tractor but let them figure it out when they got behind an 18 speed and more than one of these "schools" were shut down for basically just selling a class 1.

I believe Alberta and Saskatchewan now do the final testing but the rest of Canada is still the same.

My old neighbor is a DOT officer and claims 50% of truck drivers wouldn't pass a real test and he would like a graduated license approach.

Something like this:

year 1 - Class 3 up to 5 tonnes
year 2 or after 20k logged - Class 1 single trailer
year 3 or after 100k logged - Class 1 combo (super B)
year 4 or after 200k logged- Class 1 LCV (2 full trailers)

I also don't see the point in deporting him, but please don't let him drive a heavy truck again.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2022, 04:15 PM   #945
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Really, his biggest mistake was to hit a bus full of hockey players in Canada. He won't be in as much scrutiny if he, per se, hit a bus full of foreign tourists.

The guy is harmless, and I think he will be a good asset to society for Canada if he can stay and be put in some sort of a safe-driving spokesman and industry educator...
In that scenario he would have been deported without anyone hearing about it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:16 AM   #946
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
For a new driver to have that many violations, the employer and the industry are a major part of the problem.

I don't see any benefit to deporting him.
My thought process as well. His company is culpable, and wouldn't surprise me if there was some thinly veiled pressure to falsify records. Plus, we all know every driver did it before e-logs.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote