Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2021, 12:20 AM   #4161
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
What tripod do you have?
It's funny that I get this question a lot when people see me using it.

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm sure there is a similar model in the Canadian amazon store. If I had to do it again I'd get the smallest size, not the medium size.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #4162
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

The kids will likely be back to schools next week. Could the reopening of Golf be far away?
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:53 AM   #4163
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
  • $30 tripod from Amazon
  • Download the free version of V1
  • Instagram accounts for JakeHuttGolf, KerrodGrayGolf, JJGolfPutting, Athletic_Motion_Golf, chrisryangolf, Mikeburygolf, adaviesgolf, and Mikebendergolf

Lots of guys on skillest as well, which I think is a great medium if you want to get a few instant tips after sending a couple videos of your swing in.

Also the orange whip is great!
I'll second this as well. When I was younger my old man setup a camera like this. Just seeing myself hit balls was eye-opening. Because what I thought I was doing, was not what I was actually doing. You can clearly see your swing path, alignment, tempo, etc.

I recall it being a game changer almost right away. Great suggestion.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #4164
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, or maybe it just inexplicably happens more to me, but I really dislike the huge breaks some groups take at the turn.

I mean, yeah grab a snack and beer, or go to the bathroom, but lately it's felt like groups see it as this 10 minute breather in the middle of their round. The last group was already annoyingly behind the group ahead and taking forever to tee off each hole, yet still disappeared into the clubhouse for awhile before 10, and had to drive past us waiting along the path before 10.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #4165
jayswin

Exp:

Maybe I'm wrong on ettiequte, but I never thought the turn between 9 and 10 was like an actual break from golf. It was just a convenient place to quickly grab some food and bring it with you, or a bathroom break, not some 8-10 minute recharge on your round, where guys stand around eating hotdogs and shooting the **** before heading over to 10.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:02 PM   #4166
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd say that unless pace is so slow that the group has to wait anyway, an extended stop at the turn is an invitation for groups to play through. Want to keep your spot: grab 'n go. If you're stocking up, trying to get the sauerkraut on your hot dog and figuring out where to stock the extra tall cans, and the people behind can step up to the tee and hit, they can go. If you see guys stocking up and get up to the tee but there's the other group waiting to hit their approach shots, you don't get to jump the queue.

Would be part of my unofficial rules of golf, anyway.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2021, 07:03 PM   #4167
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Maybe I'm wrong on ettiequte, but I never thought the turn between 9 and 10 was like an actual break from golf. It was just a convenient place to quickly grab some food and bring it with you, or a bathroom break, not some 8-10 minute recharge on your round, where guys stand around eating hotdogs and shooting the **** before heading over to 10.
If a group wants to stop for a break they should be allowing other groups to play through. It's happened to me a few times and I just tell these people that i'm playing through and if they have a problem, phone the pro shop. I even give them the number at which time they cease arguing.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:18 PM   #4168
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just want to once again explain how stupid this game is. The last three rounds or so I've been hammering (for me) my driver, but still not breaking 90. Today I decide to play from the back tees to mix it up a bit since I'd been hitting fairways and hitting it longer. Well today I hit the driver like a moron for the most part. Hard pulls x2, wicked slice x3, one topper and 2 where I hit super high and about 150 yds. But canned 3 15+/- footers, kicked in 3 chips and birdied 18 for a personal best 88.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:18 PM   #4169
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve been standing at the snack shack with a clear view of the group in front of us still on the 10th tee when some guy behind us told us we should be heading over to the tee and not standing around at the snack shack. What do you expect us to do at the tee, smart guy?
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2021, 09:50 PM   #4170
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He’s probably the guy with his ball teed up the second you leave the tee box, who will stand with his hands on his hips, tapping his foot with a disgruntled look on his face while you have to wait in the fairway waiting for the group to putt out. He will blame you for slow play even though it’s backed up all the way through to 18 and will make a point of always catching up to you on the next tee box in an attempt to hurry you up despite there being no way to go. He is also a part-time marshall.

Another one of my unwritten golf rules would be that teeing up your ball before the group ahead gets to their first shots is a 2-stroke penalty/forfeiture of hole.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:52 PM   #4171
jayswin

Exp:

Oh man, that's the other side of it. Nothing worse than people/groups with a complete inability to see the difference between a course back up and a 'group ahead of you back up'.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:57 PM   #4172
jayswin

Exp:

Course back ups are almost always one group at some point, combined with course marshalls that won't confront that one group, instead trying to push all the other backed up groups along like dumbasses.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:14 PM   #4173
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played 36 yesterday (Sundre and Water Valley). Great day overall. Weather was beautiful. Shot ok so that was nice. Water valley was extremely slow for some reason. Multiple holes we should finish and there were multiple groups waiting to tee off. Hole 4 had 5 groups waiting! Sundre was nice and quick though but we were the 5th time of the day.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:01 PM   #4174
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Played 36 yesterday (Sundre and Water Valley). Great day overall. Weather was beautiful. Shot ok so that was nice. Water valley was extremely slow for some reason. Multiple holes we should finish and there were multiple groups waiting to tee off. Hole 4 had 5 groups waiting! Sundre was nice and quick though but we were the 5th time of the day.
Water Valley is a case study in how to not run a golf course.

That place is a disaster.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:18 PM   #4175
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Water Valley is a case study in how to not run a golf course.

That place is a disaster.
In what way? Usually it’s fantastic. Good price. Quick pace of play. Always in great shape.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:20 PM   #4176
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They say some people aren't happy unless they're miserable.

If a golf course operation had a personality, it would be the way to describe Water Valley.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #4177
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
In what way? Usually it’s fantastic. Good price. Quick pace of play. Always in great shape.
I think it’s become pretty common knowledge in the golf community that the owners... or who ever the lady in the pro shop is a real piece of work. Flows down to the rest of the staff too. They very much have an our way or the highway type mentality.

It’s a shame because my old man used to take me there all the time and one of the few courses in which I learned to play.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2021, 07:53 PM   #4178
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post
I think it’s become pretty common knowledge in the golf community that the owners... or who ever the lady in the pro shop is a real piece of work. Flows down to the rest of the staff too. They very much have an our way or the highway type mentality.

It’s a shame because my old man used to take me there all the time and one of the few courses in which I learned to play.
I get that but I only care about 3 things when I golf. Shape the course is in, green fee, and pace of play. It hits all those things consistently.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:08 PM   #4179
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ArmBands View Post

It's a reason myself and friends of mine will never play that course again.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:08 PM   #4180
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

my favourite lack of etiquette is when we are teeing off on the blues for example and guys behind us drive up before we hit and start taking practice swings on the tee box behind us. So awesome.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow