Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2020, 07:21 AM   #3201
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^^^
A lot of courses just simply will not enforce pace of play. Even if they say they do, or have half measures in place, the reality is these days it's "people pay us money, then they go out" - end of customer interaction.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:05 AM   #3202
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
^^^^^^
A lot of courses just simply will not enforce pace of play. Even if they say they do, or have half measures in place, the reality is these days it's "people pay us money, then they go out" - end of customer interaction.
I definitely see that side. But if I played somewhere and it took five hours I wouldn't be back anytime soon. If I was a member at that course I'd be in the shop and not happy for sure. I've found with Covid that I was able to play a few rounds at about 3.5hrs, and very few that took more than four. I'm nowhere near a birdie machine!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:11 AM   #3203
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
^^^^^^
Most courses only enforce pace if a member complains. Too afraid to chase money away by having an overzealous marshal.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #3204
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I definitely see that side. But if I played somewhere and it took five hours I wouldn't be back anytime soon. If I was a member at that course I'd be in the shop and not happy for sure. I've found with Covid that I was able to play a few rounds at about 3.5hrs, and very few that took more than four. I'm nowhere near a birdie machine!
I've played 28 rounds this year and can probably count on one hand the rounds over 4:10. Pace of play has been great this year.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:14 AM   #3205
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got to play Cottonwood this Thursday on that Golftown promotion last week. Anyone got in on that too? What is Cottonwood like. I'm a Countryhills member for reference.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #3206
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I got to play Cottonwood this Thursday on that Golftown promotion last week. Anyone got in on that too? What is Cottonwood like. I'm a Countryhills member for reference.
Nice track. Not too difficult. Easy walk. Might be the nicest greens I have played on this year.

No cell reception if that means anything for a weekday round for you.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:51 AM   #3207
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I’m a member.

I suggest you walk, it’s a shorter course. If you’re a low or mid handicapper play the blue/black set up. I’m a 13 and typically play blues, but my brother in law is a 1.4 and hits a big ball so we split the difference and do blue black. If you’re below a 10 handicap play the tips.

If you’re a disciplined golfer you do NOT need driver on most holes. I see guys all the time swing for the fences and paste drives straight into a bunker that always seem to be in all the right locations for the average duffer with poor control. Hit the 225 club and 7 iron in. Unless you have good control, which I do not lol.

Get ready for sand and lots of it. You won’t lose many balls but you WILL hit sand traps allllllll the GD time.

Greens were punched and dressed 2 weeks ago and as of last Friday were getting faster. I expect by Thursday they will be almost 100% so hit the putting green to get a feel for them. The greens alone will add strokes due to their speed and set up; rule of thumb we use is when in doubt go straight at it.

#4 and #14 are the hardest holes in the course. Both can (and should) be played with a 225 club off the tees but there is a pretty big risk/reward by carrying the traps with the big stick.

Get a clubhouse with onion rings afterwards. Similar to Peters and IMO Best in the city.

Enjoy!
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #3208
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
That’s brutal. 5 hours in the blazing sun would be tough on my game for sure.

I don’t get it though. High handicap or not, people should be pressing to maintain a good pace? That just sounds torturous!
Normally the pace of play is really good and our marshalls do a good job. This time it was mini tourny and I suspect the monies received were more important than the pace of play.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #3209
WacoKid
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Its partly because fitting is pretty much a scam. Unless you are playing all the time and have a grooved swing, the minuscule corrections made in fitting is not going to help your game. People that play once or twice a week have so many imperfections in their swing that change from session-to-session, whether it be stance, spine angle, take away, or swing speed, that finding a consistent point of contact in the middle of the club face is virtually impossible. Club fitting is designed to reduce your consistent impact point on the club face one point to another. If you're hitting all over the club face all the mechanical changes in club component is not going to amount to a hill of beans. All you're doing is moving your strike dispersion to a different part of the club face. You're still missing the sweet spot, just in a different spot.

Seriously, clubs are designed so they are playable by 95% of players. Even without proper posture and spine angle clubs off the rack fit 95% of people. Unless you are a genetic freak with unusually long arms, or a really compact torso, clubs off the rack should be playable and work for you. When I say playable I mean achieve pretty consistent scoring results. This is what most players should be searching for because their strikes are all over the club face (mis-hits). Most clubs today are designed to correct for those mis-hits.

That may also be part of the problem. You may have purchased too much club for your game. If you just bought some blades, and you aren't hitting a thousand balls a week (minimum) you probably bought too much club. Most players should be in some sort of game improvement club until they can hit a consistent dime sized mark on impact tape. Once you achieve this, then start looking at the clubs that allow for you to learn to work the ball.

I don't know how many players I have worked with that spent money on equipment that is not set up for their game. I have a close friend who burns through equipment left and right. Goes and gets fitted every six months and thinks the next piece of equipment is going to fix his game. Every time he does that I pull out the impact tape and do a range session with him His strike dispersion remains the same regardless of fitting. His epiphany came when he finally took my advice and decided to go after the game improvement clubs (some really nice Mizuno JPXs). He still did the fitting, but ended up playing demos (same JPXs) for a month while he waited for his "custom" clubs to come in. He played some of his best golf and struck the ball the best he has in years on those standard-standard clubs. His "customs" arrive and his game goes to #### again. It ain't the arrow, its the archer.

The bright side about this is that your body will adapt to the fitted the clubs. Your brain will slowly alter your swing to find some consistency in the striking. Your brain is correcting the tolerances the fitter did, and tweaking your swing to where the standard-standard was. Unless you are going to the range and hitting a grand a week, give it a few months and you'll get back to where you were.
Agree with pretty much everything here, except for the comment about “most players” avoiding blades. 62 going on 63 here. Best index was 8.2, currently not counting but in the 10 range, mostly due to chipping yips. My first full set of clubs were Hogan Apex irons, 2-PW (called an Equaliser). Over the years, I’ve owned about six sets of clubs total including dupes for our VanIsle residence. All off the rack. Switched in my 30s to Mizunos, IMO the best forged irons available. Oh, and I still have a 2 iron, although I admit I’m hitting my hybrid more and more.

If you want to improve your game, blades are the only choice. They communicate misses instantaneously. There is no other way to learn and improve your swing, IMO. I will never play GI clubs.

Again, in my opinion, too many players seek a technology or fitting “cure” for their ills instead of digging in the dirt.

Oh, and if your clubs feel awkward, try gripping down a half inch. Works every time.

Last edited by WacoKid; 08-17-2020 at 01:58 PM.
WacoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #3210
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Most courses only enforce pace if a member complains. Too afraid to chase money away by having an overzealous marshal.
We lost an overzealous marshall a few years back for simply enforcing the pace of play. Word is a group of golfers complained that they were being followed and constantly told to pick up the pace. They got free passes for another round and the marshall quit.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:08 PM   #3211
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's everyone's tips to speed up as a golfer? I'm always open to hear new ways to quicken my game. Recently I watched a golf tip from Padraig Harrington about pros counting to a number and they hit the ball on the same count in the sequence. The count helps with first tee nerves. I started using it, so when I start setting up my shot I start counting and hit on seven.

I also have a GPS that accounts for wind (arccos), lets me map out holes and keeps stats on my club distances, so club selection is pretty easy.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:12 PM   #3212
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
What's everyone's tips to speed up as a golfer? I'm always open to hear new ways to quicken my game. Recently I watched a golf tip from Padraig Harrington about pros counting to a number and they hit the ball on the same count in the sequence. The count helps with first tee nerves. I started using it, so when I start setting up my shot I start counting and hit on seven.

I also have a GPS that accounts for wind (arccos), lets me map out holes and keeps stats on my club distances, so club selection is pretty easy.
For Ready golf:
- Don't sit in the cart and wait for your buddy to hit. Go to your ball.
- Get your club ready and do all your pre shot routine while someone else is hitting.
- Read your putt and do all that while someone else is putting.
- Don't play honours

Personally:
- Don't do warm up swings
- Don't help look for a lost ball.

Off the top of my head.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #3213
WacoKid
Draft Pick

Quote:

At Canyon Meadows, years ago, there was a seniors foursome that tried to be the first ones out every morning. They typically finished 18 in under two hours, albeit with powercarts.

Went off in front of them one morning walking as a twosome. Approaching the first green on number one, a five par, we watched them tee off. When we putted out, I simply stopped and waited for them to play through. It was amazing to watch. No waiting on their approaches; all hit as soon as they got to their balls. On the green, no marking and no waiting they all putted together until they were in the hole. On the second tee, three guys pegged at once. Whap-whap-whap. Fourth walked up, pegged, whap, and they were gone. By the time we walked up and teed up, they were out of range.

Not necessarily recommended; but educational. We spend way too much time imitating the pros.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WacoKid For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 02:22 PM   #3214
WacoKid
Draft Pick

Quote:

At Canyon Meadows, years ago, there was a seniors foursome that tried to be the first ones out every morning. They typically finished 18 in under two hours, albeit with powercarts.

Went off in front of them one morning walking as a twosome. Approaching the first green on number one, a five par, we watched them tee off. When we putted out, they were by the green, waiting for us. I simply stopped and waited for them to play through. It was amazing to watch. No waiting on their approaches; all hit as soon as they got to their balls. On the green, no marking and no waiting they all putted together until they were in the hole. On the second tee, three guys pegged at once. Whap-whap-whap. Fourth walked up, pegged, whap, and they were gone. By the time we walked up and teed up, they were out of range.

Not necessarily recommended; but educational. We spend way too much time imitating the pros.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:47 PM   #3215
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Played Sundre Golf Club for the first time this past weekend. We had a little fun tourney with some friends (7 of us). Great course, I heard enough on here to go give it a try and definitely well taken care of and a nice challenge. Really slick greens, lots of trees but the lower portion is all cleared out so that keeps the pace moving nicely.

Gotta love this game, over 3 rounds I shot (consecutively) 89, 98, and 80. Thats a nice 18 stroke spread there lol
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #3216
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Echoing other answers:

Ready golf-be at your ball and hit when it's your turn.

One practice swing max.

Dont fumble through your bag at the green after putting out-get the heck out of there.

Unless you're Bryson Dechambeau, don't plumb bob or any other time consuming green reading aid that takes forever. (I bet most amateur plumb bombers don't even know what they're looking for)

Leave your extra green side clubs, or bag for that matter if walking, in the correct place so you can grab when walking off the green to next hole.

Play from the correct tee box. If you hit it 225 yards or are an 18 plus handicap stay the heck away from the tips.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:23 PM   #3217
Skip2mylou
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Fledge View Post
I never post here but am an avid golfer. I have to 100% agree with the "fitting is bs" thing.

I was a 13 handicap golfer who hit my buddies blades at the range one day (Mizuno MP-69). I just loved the feel and looks. Despite being a 13 handicap and not an outstanding golfer, I went ahead and got Mizuno MP-18 blades two years ago. BEST. DECISION. OF MY LIFE.

Despite every fitter saying I was getting better numbers with other irons (I had Taylormade M2 Tour irons at the time), I didn't listen and went with the blades. Zero regrets, and I have been as low as a 6 handicap since I made the switch (Currently 8 due to back issues).

When it comes to fitting, just go try some stuff and whatever YOU like the feel and look of, that's what you should get. Confidence and acceptance of a new iron is the most important thing in my opinion. I knew with these blades I had to get better at hitting the middle of the face... and I loved them so much that I made myself learn to hit the centre of the face. So whereas I am hitting blades that I "shouldn't be hitting", I love to practice and have gotten much better. You got Titleist game improvement irons, hate them, and likely don't want to learn to get better with them... so who won? The person that got "fitted" or the guy who just picked what he liked the look and feel of?

Long rant, I know... but I agree fitting is bull####. Hit a few, pick what you like.
I play the MP-18s too! I was about a 12 handicap when I made the switch 2 years ago from Ping G15s. I now hit it further simply because I was getting better feedback on my bad to average strikes and really started practicing hitting the sweet spot. The amount of marketing BS in golf is such a disservice to the game itself in my opinion. If your clubs are in decent shape and your not super tall or on the other side of that spectrum most golfers are way better off investing money on lessons instead of new clubs.
Skip2mylou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip2mylou For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 03:55 PM   #3218
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Echoing other answers:

Unless you're Bryson Dechambeau, don't plumb bob or any other time consuming green reading aid that takes forever. (I bet most amateur plumb bombers don't even know what they're looking for)
Agree with your points on ready golf...especially the one about clearing the green after putting out.

Green reading is something that I've changed recently. I started using my feet and the aimpoint system. I personally find it faster for green reading and made me realize that 80%+ of the putts inside 7ft are inside the cup. Anyone else use their feet to read greens?
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #3219
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoKid View Post
My first full set of clubs were Hogan Apex irons, 2-PW (called an Equaliser).
Fantastic set of clubs, and damn tough to make perform. Had the sweet spot as easy to find as... well, I can't say in mixed company. Played the same configuration and they were a joy and the bane of my existence for a season.

Quote:
Over the years, I’ve owned about six sets of clubs total including dupes for our VanIsle residence. All off the rack. Switched in my 30s to Mizunos, IMO the best forged irons available. Oh, and I still have a 2 iron, although I admit I’m hitting my hybrid more and more.
Still have three sets of clubs with the 2 iron. Love it for the wind. Hate it because you need to play a lot to hit it well.

Quote:
If you want to improve your game, blades are the only choice. They communicate misses instantaneously. There is no other way to learn and improve your swing, IMO. I will never play GI clubs.
I just want to be certain we're on the same page and not confusing improvement with taking your game to the next level. Game improvement clubs are designed to help correct off center strikes and bring the ball back into the middle of the shot dispersion zone. For players who haven't yet found the middle of the club with any consistency, game improvement clubs (most cast irons) are the best choice. For those who can find the middle of the club face and want to work the ball, forged blades are the way to go, for all the reasons you mentioned. I get where you're coming from on learning the craft, but for someone who isn't a dime on tape, they should be in game improvement clubs.

What are you playing right now?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 05:11 PM   #3220
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking to re grip my irons on my own. Any recommendations? Like to swing pretty hard, performance over comfort, price not an issue.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow