Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2020, 07:24 AM   #3121
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So it was an excellent experience that narrowly avoided being a horrible nightmare?
Hah, yep. We were about 200 yards out from the green and it ran right across the green, through the bunker, and straight down the fairway. About 150 yards out it cut toward the river and jumped right in. It wasn't huge, probably about the size of a large BBQ. Staff rolled through a couple minutes later with bear spray just monitoring the area. The grizz was collared so they said parks would be able to track it, and they had notified parks already - but if it crossed the river it was likely just trying to get away from people.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:37 AM   #3122
JackJack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Banff Springs was excellent today. For $99 that is probably one of the best golf experiences you can have.

Had a grizzly running straight at us on the 9th fairway until it abruptly turned and crossed the river.
Played it on Tuesday and it was phenomenal. Value for money, it can't be beat. The views and weather was fantastic. Course was also in great shape.

Would highly recommend if you can find any available tee times.
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #3123
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJack View Post
Played it on Tuesday and it was phenomenal. Value for money, it can't be beat. The views and weather was fantastic. Course was also in great shape.

Would highly recommend if you can find any available tee times.
The only negative I have about Banff Springs is that the quality of their sand is awful. They should really upgrade their sand especially considering how many traps are on the course and how well placed they are. I certainly ended up in a lot more than I planned for.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2020, 12:44 AM   #3124
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
https://scoregolf.com/top-100-2020/

The Score Golf Canada 100 list is out for this year. I know it isn’t a perfect ranking system, but it is always fun to look at and see.

Time to flex:

I've played: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 16, 17, 19*, 20, 21, 24, 28, 29, 30, 32, 36, 41, 46, 50, 52, 55, 56, 57, 60, 61, 65, 66, 71, 72, 75, 77, 80*, 84, 87, 89, 94, 97, 100, 107, 108, 109, 11r, 119, 123, 124, 125, 128, 136

* pre-renovation only

I've also played 9 holes at #2 before the weather put the end to that round.

I believe that Jasper and Banff deserve their spots because take away their backdrop they are still as good a layout as you'll find at a golf course. Had it not been for Coronavirus I would have added a few more (10, 11, 25, 47 and at least one of the TPC "Toronto" courses) this fall.

If you call yourself a golfer, book a trip to Cabot. Should be 1 and 2 as far as I'm concerned.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2020, 06:31 AM   #3125
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had thought about Cabot when I had canceled my Scotland golf trip but not ready to fly yet. One of the years though as it looks fantastic!
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:46 AM   #3126
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

A few years ago a broker in Halifax offered to take me to Cabot. Somehow, I couldn't make the time. Every now and then I wonder wtf is wrong with me.

My regular clubs are stuck on the west coast this season, so I've been golfing with a mix of old clubs and whatever I can get off Kijiji for less than $20 in Montreal. G15 driver (11 years old), Ping Eye irons (40 years old), Vokey wedges from 2007, some mangled putter I like the feel of, two Tour Edge Bazooka hybrids from 2005...

Handicap is now back firmly in the single digits. Golf equipment is funny. I really don't feel like I'm missing out on anything with a bag full of clubs whose total value is less than $100.

In other news, this summer out east has been ridiculously hot. Almost every round for two months played in 40+ degree temps with the humidity. Sweaty times.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2020, 07:08 AM   #3127
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i am golfing this afternoon at carmoney - it will be round #3 of the eyar for me. i am a little annoyed with garmin being down, i can't download it as a golf course to my watch - not that knowing the distance will have a huge impact, more just annoyed that i can't use my technology
Old 07-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #3128
RussianSpy
Draft Pick

Playing Banff Springs tomorrow. Was wondering if the course is a difficult walk? I haven’t played there in years and don’t really remember if it would be tough. The awesome rate that was posted here (thanks again) includes a cart, but thought it could be a fun walk.
RussianSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #3129
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianSpy View Post
Playing Banff Springs tomorrow. Was wondering if the course is a difficult walk? I haven’t played there in years and don’t really remember if it would be tough. The awesome rate that was posted here (thanks again) includes a cart, but thought it could be a fun walk.
It’s not a difficult walk but there are a few holes where you have quite a ways in between - like between 14 and 15, that would take forever to walk.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 02:46 PM   #3130
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Played Mickelson National the other day and have mixed feelings about it. Happy to have tried it out but it definitely needs 4-5 years to grow in and mature.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #3131
StevenAbootman
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
Played Mickelson National the other day and have mixed feelings about it. Happy to have tried it out but it definitely needs 4-5 years to grow in and mature.
I played it last Tuesday and feel the exact same. Greens were recently punched so it made the price tag even worse.

I managed to golf 8 days in a row on my week off. Great weather for the most part.

Serenity -> Rivers Edge -> SpearGrass -> Mickelson -> Jagare Ridge -> Legends -> Redtail Landing -> Blue Devil.
StevenAbootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #3132
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Played 36 holes today, walking the course. Now i'm feeling the effects of the heat and am not so sure it was a good idea

No energy left to play tennis this evening.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:30 PM   #3133
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Banff springs again today. Maybe hard on it earlier in this thread. I think it’s good value for $99 (I’ll admit I didn’t pay). Really good condition outside a few things. Greens were below average imo. Doubt I’d drive by kananaskis to play it if I’m paying.

Went to the German pub after which was fantastic and found a cell phone in the parking lot afterwards and returned to the owner so felt like I did my good deed of the day!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #3134
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Played Lakeside in Chestermere this weekend, course is in great condition. My putting wasn't however. Shot an 80 from the blues, it could have been another epic round if I could putt. Had bogeys on 3 of the last 4 holes to settle for 80, grrr!

Last edited by sec304; 07-30-2020 at 12:10 PM.
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:14 PM   #3135
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Two thumbs up for Lakeside - always a great value and the course seems to never be in bad shape.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:07 PM   #3136
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tobiano or The Rise? I’ve played Tobiano before.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #3137
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I played Tobiano once and it was a double edge sword. Course was in amazing shape and had some really nice looking layouts and views. However, if you were just slightly off the fairway, you were in big trouble - I ended up with a huge score and was frustrated at the end of it.

I still remember my first shot faded left just a bit, hit the fairway first and rolled down a hill into nothingness - annoying to say the least.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:12 PM   #3138
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverfresH15 View Post
Tobiano or The Rise? I’ve played Tobiano before.
The front nine on the Rise is a bit gimmicky, but the back nine is nice. Personally I would rather play Tobiano.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:50 PM   #3139
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Glencoe Forest this morning. Fantastic shape. Shot 91.

No cart girl and no snack shack open is unforgivable though.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:55 PM   #3140
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Played Glencoe Forest this morning. Fantastic shape. Shot 91.

No cart girl and no snack shack open is unforgivable though.
Isn’t that about 7800 yds from the back tees?! I’ve played the meadow and not the forest, but that’s what I thought was the case.

Why wasn’t anything open though? So bizarre.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow