Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #2961
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Looking for thoughts on club fitting? My current set:

Driver:
2012 - Ping I20
5 wood:
2012 - Ping I20
Hybrid:
2005 - 2H Ben Hogan
Irons:
2009 - Callaway X Forged 3-PW
Wedges:
2012 - Callaway Forged 54,58
Putter:
2005 - Odyessy White hot XG #8

The current issue I am experiencing is that the majority of my clubs were purchased when I was in my late teens/Early 20's. I am now in my mid 30's and have noticed that I am losing yardage the last couple of years. I hit the ball quite high and just don't have the power to push it out and fly it as far.

I am a huge creature of habit and love the "feel" of my clubs. However, I have seen my HCP go from a 2 when I was 18, to a 5 (21-30) and has crept up to an 8.5-9 now. I guess I just want something that maybe will work for the next 10 years and possibly getting fit is the road to go. I have never done it or really considered it. I am looking for the pros and cons before I go and drop a few thousand on a new full set. Minus my putter, I love that thing.

As you can tell, I am not a chaser of the newest tech so this is a big step out for me.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:11 PM   #2962
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go to Modern Golf. Well worth the money.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #2963
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
For anyone that signed up for that Crush Covid with Golf promotion from Windmill Group do you remember if it was supposed to be for a single round or for 5 rounds (one every month)? I'm certain it was supposed to be one round per month on that specified Monday from May to September. I received the email this morning regarding the next Crush Covid day and the email states that if you used your voucher already it is no longer valid. Did I read the terms and conditions incorrectly when I signed up?
It's Windmill... What did you expect?
Old 06-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #2964
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

To piggyback on Gomer's question, I'm also looking to upgrade from a driver/hybrid/irons that are all at least 10 to 15 years old to new clubs.

My in-laws are a big golfing family and have all gone for club fittings and swear by it so it's got me interested. Have most of you been for fittings when you're getting a new set?

Anyone had any experience with tdcustomgolf out of the RCGA?:

https://tdcustomgolf.com/
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:44 PM   #2965
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

My last two iron sets were fully fitted and custom ordered.

First time was at bearspaw, this year I treated myself to a full bag fitting at Club Champion in Palm Desert.

I bought wedges from modern golf last month. They bent them to my specs free of charge. If I was in the market, that's where I would go.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #2966
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
My last two iron sets were fully fitted and custom ordered.

First time was at bearspaw, this year I treated myself to a full bag fitting at Club Champion in Palm Desert.

I bought wedges from modern golf last month. They bent them to my specs free of charge. If I was in the market, that's where I would go.
Does it make a huge difference? I’m not currently looking for clubs, and have never had a custom set at all, but how good do you need to be to see a significant difference between an off the shelf set and one that’s fitted?

And similarly for balls, what are people’s thoughts on them? I know the Pro V is the gold standard (or so it seems), but I lose balls still and am too cheap to spend ~$7 and the slice it off into the trees or water! I’ve gone with the Bridgestone E6, but I’m curious about what others do here.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #2967
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Does it make a huge difference? I’m not currently looking for clubs, and have never had a custom set at all, but how good do you need to be to see a significant difference between an off the shelf set and one that’s fitted?

And similarly for balls, what are people’s thoughts on them? I know the Pro V is the gold standard (or so it seems), but I lose balls still and am too cheap to spend ~$7 and the slice it off into the trees or water! I’ve gone with the Bridgestone E6, but I’m curious about what others do here.
Ill give my opinon:

I spent a ton of time at golf town hitting irons until i Was comfortable. bought that set of irons. Still play well (about a 10 handicap). Maybe i'd be better with a fitted set but I have never done it.

As for balls, I think consistency is best. Buy the cheaper balls like me but stick to that. You mix in a pro v1 and then you get worried about your swing because its slicing more. Thats all i think.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #2968
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Having the correct length and lie for how you are currently swinging is huge. It will get you the maximum out of your equipment for the swing you currently have. It won't fix your swing, but it will help you hit the center of the club face on your "normal" swings more often.

If you are buying a new irons set, this is included for the stock shaft offerings from any of the major manufacturers for free. If you are able to play a standard length set, get fitted for lie, even on the boxing day blowout sets, you can usually get GolfTown do adjust the lies for free.

A lie adjustment can be changed to compensate for swing changes for a very small fee.

TLDR: it's free strokes.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:23 PM   #2969
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Last edited by sl888; 06-17-2020 at 10:47 PM. Reason: double post
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #2970
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
For anyone that signed up for that Crush Covid with Golf promotion from Windmill Group do you remember if it was supposed to be for a single round or for 5 rounds (one every month)? I'm certain it was supposed to be one round per month on that specified Monday from May to September. I received the email this morning regarding the next Crush Covid day and the email states that if you used your voucher already it is no longer valid. Did I read the terms and conditions incorrectly when I signed up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
It's Windmill... What did you expect?
It was too good to be true. From the initial email, I too, thought it was one round per month. Definitely should've saved my round for Mickelson.
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #2971
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I generally play whatever I find when I am looking for mine in the trees.
I have bought a few boxes lately because I want to try a softer feel but haven't hit them enough to see if I truly like them. Generally I look for what's on sale within a core group of brands and get those if I am buying. My game isn't good enough to see much difference between brands.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #2972
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Generally I look for what's on sale within a core group of brands and get those if I am buying. My game isn't good enough to see much difference between brands.
As a bogey golfer, I can tell the difference between different types of ball. Non premium balls like Srixon Q star flies straighter off the tee but will roll forever on shots to the green.

Tour balls like TP5/Pro V will slice more but will stop a lot quicker on shots to the green.

However my scores remain relatively the same no matter what type of balls I play. So then what difference does ball make? I don't know.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:51 AM   #2973
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
As a bogey golfer, I can tell the difference between different types of ball. Non premium balls like Srixon Q star flies straighter off the tee but will roll forever on shots to the green.

Tour balls like TP5/Pro V will slice more but will stop a lot quicker on shots to the green.

However my scores remain relatively the same no matter what type of balls I play. So then what difference does ball make? I don't know.
All the tour balls (multi piece urethane) are pretty similar, some spin more, some spin less. If you don't tend to hit the ball straight, you'll be a lot further into the junk that you would be otherwise.

The balls that have the soft construction like the Q star are much better for most amateurs as they don't spin as much off the driver and keep those slices and hooks a bit straighter.

All that aside, I've been liking the AVX lately. Seems to be working so far.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #2974
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heading out to BC for 10 days tomorrow and have 3 rounds of golf booked:

- Harvest Golf Club in Kelowna
- Olympic View
- Bear Mountain - Mountain course

I've never golfed at sea level so hopefully I am not terrible...
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:52 PM   #2975
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Has anyone golfed Revelstoke? I'm golfing there Saturday morning...layout looks very similar to Inglewood, but with spectacular views.
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #2976
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeez, I love golfing but I am the three putt king of the universe. Last night I must have turned three birdies into boogies.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:20 PM   #2977
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone been to Livingstone on highway 1 just west of highway 22? To be honest, I never even knew this course existed until I saw a sign on the side of the highway this winter. Is it a good course? Is it easy to get tee times?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:23 PM   #2978
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Has anyone been to Livingstone on highway 1 just west of highway 22? To be honest, I never even knew this course existed until I saw a sign on the side of the highway this winter. Is it a good course? Is it easy to get tee times?
It's a favorite of mine. Tee times seem tougher to get this year but what else is new. It's a nine hole track, nothing fancy, no sand, and in good condition. But an enjoyable course. I tend to do this one with my wife as it suits her well and is a short drive for us on the west side of Calgary. Would recommend.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #2979
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
It's a favorite of mine. Tee times seem tougher to get this year but what else is new. It's a nine hole track, nothing fancy, no sand, and in good condition. But an enjoyable course. I tend to do this one with my wife as it suits her well and is a short drive for us on the west side of Calgary. Would recommend.
Have you been to Brewster's? How would they compare?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:02 PM   #2980
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Heading out to BC for 10 days tomorrow and have 3 rounds of golf booked:

- Harvest Golf Club in Kelowna
- Olympic View
- Bear Mountain - Mountain course

I've never golfed at sea level so hopefully I am not terrible...
Solid choices. You will love Olympic View.

Watch out for #11 (I think it's 11, the par 4 after the island par3) at Bear Mountain, it's a blind tee shot.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow