Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default One in Three Canadians Suffered Some Form of Child Abuse

Sad if in fact true.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/th...935/story.html

Quote:
A new study says one in three adult Canadians suffered some form of child abuse in their past, adding this abuse is associated with a higher risk of mental health disorders later in life.
The lead author of the study says it provides the first national look at the prevalence of child abuse experienced by Canadian adults.
Tracie Afifi of the University of Manitoba says previous estimates were based on a nearly 25-year-old study from Ontario and more recent data from Quebec.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm more interested in the criteria.

When it asks questions like were you slapped or hit on the head or spanked with a hard object.

Does it break it down to who does the abusing, whether its a parent or a sibling?

25 years ago, takes it back to late 80's, I know I was rapped or spanked with a wooden spoon or a a paddle, I didn't and still wouldn't consider it to be child abuse on myself.

I was punched and slapped by my sisters, that's just the way things were.

The sexual one is pretty clear.

I just have trouble with the 1 and 3 number it sounds like an issue of too wide of a net in the questioning.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

When it asks questions like were you slapped or hit on the head or spanked with a hard object.

Does it break it down to who does the abusing, whether its a parent or a sibling?

25 years ago, takes it back to late 80's, I know I was rapped or spanked with a wooden spoon or a a paddle, I didn't and still wouldn't consider it to be child abuse on myself.

I just have trouble with the 1 and 3 number it sounds like an issue of too wide of a net in the questioning.
Agreed, with your criteria comment. Tha being said, I don't parent of punish like my father did. Looking back I think he was abusive in his use/over use of physical punishment.

If nothing else, this might be an opening to dialogue.
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

I agree. I think the word "abuse" is being abused.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

counter point

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...child-abusers/

Old 04-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

by that survey, everyone I grew up with was abused. Mom used a wooden spoon or a hairbrush. They still used the strap at school.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
by that survey, everyone I grew up with was abused. Mom used a wooden spoon or a hairbrush. They still used the strap at school.

I got to be honest, I find it hard to argue that using a spoon/hairbrush/strap isn't abusive. I am sure that will put me in the minority, but so be it.

Question Hab, do you "punish" you kids in the same manner you were punished?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Disagree with spanking (or slaps to the hand..etc) being classified as abuse. Don't care if you disagree with me. I've seen way too many little sh**s throw tempertantrums while their parents stand powerless to ever change my mind.

I know when I was a kid, if my mom threatened to tell my dad about something I straightened up immediatly. Do I think being spanked messed me up? Not at all, but it did teach me to listen to my parents.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If spanked was removed I think the survey would be reasonable. I certainly don't consider spanking especially without an object abuse.

That only 25% of children were spanked really surprises me.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #10
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Disagree with spanking (or slaps to the hand..etc) being classified as abuse. Don't care if you disagree with me. I've seen way too many little sh**s throw tempertantrums while their parents stand powerless to ever change my mind.

I know when I was a kid, if my mom threatened to tell my dad about something I straightened up immediatly. Do I think being spanked messed me up? Not at all, but it did teach me to listen to my parents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If spanked was removed I think the survey would be reasonable. I certainly don't consider spanking especially without an object abuse.

That only 25% of children were spanked really surprises me.
So is it the location of the hitting (ie: the butt) that makes it non-abusive?
Old 04-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lol spanking is abuse? Well im happy I was abused as a child.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I got to be honest, I find it hard to argue that using a spoon/hairbrush/strap isn't abusive. I am sure that will put me in the minority, but so be it.

Question Hab, do you "punish" you kids in the same manner you were punished?
No, I'm very different. I don't hit mine. I don't think my parents crossed the line at all, Mom didn't hit that hard (Dad got me pretty good once, but I think I deserved it). It was a very different time as well.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #13
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't get the power wheels I always pined for, so I'm in the 1/3.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #14
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, I'm very different. I don't hit mine. I don't think my parents crossed the line at all, Mom didn't hit that hard (Dad got me pretty good once, but I think I deserved it). It was a very different time as well.

I don't hit mine either.

Did you make a conscious decision not to spank/hit you kids?
Old 04-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #15
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I don't hit mine either.

Did you make a conscious decision not to spank/hit you kids?
yeah, I just don't think it's necessary.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #16
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Please beat your kids.

Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #17
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both my brother and I got the hand or the wooden spoon on the butt. I don't consider that child abuse.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
RyZ
Old 04-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #18
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, my siblings and I would really skew their data. There are 4 of us in my family - we all experienced outright abuse at the hands of our parents. I'm not talking little swats on the ass, or a tap on the hand to keep us from reaching for something hot, for example. This was full on abuse - we were beaten. We were kicked, slapped and slapped hard, we were thrown into walls, onto the floor, we were stomped on (I have back issues from being stomped in the back), kicked in the back/belly/ribs, punched in the head (never the face, because that left visible marks), punched in the stomach, punched in the back, anywhere they could land a punch. We were hit with any object they could grab at during a rage. We had our hair pulled - we were dragged around by our hair. One of my brothers had his arm yanked out of the socket numerous times. We were choked. There was so much more, but there's not enough server space to get in to it all.

There was also a lot of emotional/verbal/mental abuse as well. 3 out of the 4 of us were sexually abused but not by our parents - that was perpetrated by family members or family friends.

The last time my mother slapped and punched me, I was in my late 20s, married with children and she only finally quit doing that after I finally slapped her back that last time, and threatened to call the police on her - it was the one and only time I 'fought' back, when I slapped her. That was finally the end of the physical abuse. She has continued with manipulation and other forms of abuse, with all of us, to this day which is why we cut off contact with her 2.5 years ago. She continues to try and make contact with us, but we rebuff at every turn. I have zero contact with her, my brothers have limited contact with her.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #19
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yeah, I just don't think it's necessary.

So what has changed from when you were a kid?
Old 04-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #20
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Well, my siblings and I would really skew their data. There are 4 of us in my family - we all experienced outright abuse at the hands of our parents. I'm not talking little swats on the ass, or a tap on the hand to keep us from reaching for something hot, for example. This was full on abuse - we were beaten. We were kicked, slapped and slapped hard, we were thrown into walls, onto the floor, we were stomped on (I have back issues from being stomped in the back), kicked in the back/belly/ribs, punched in the head (never the face, because that left visible marks), punched in the stomach, punched in the back, anywhere they could land a punch. We were hit with any object they could grab at during a rage. We had our hair pulled - we were dragged around by our hair. One of my brothers had his arm yanked out of the socket numerous times. We were choked. There was so much more, but there's not enough server space to get in to it all.

There was also a lot of emotional/verbal/mental abuse as well. 3 out of the 4 of us were sexually abused but not by our parents - that was perpetrated by family members or family friends.

The last time my mother slapped and punched me, I was in my late 20s, married with children and she only finally quit doing that after I finally slapped her back that last time, and threatened to call the police on her - it was the one and only time I 'fought' back, when I slapped her. That was finally the end of the physical abuse. She has continued with manipulation and other forms of abuse, with all of us, to this day which is why we cut off contact with her 2.5 years ago. She continues to try and make contact with us, but we rebuff at every turn. I have zero contact with her, my brothers have limited contact with her.
I am sorry to hear about your childhood. The positive, from other posts on this site is you seem to have a good relationship with your kids.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post: