Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2022, 06:25 AM   #1921
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ooh look at Mr. “Vancouver has a Swatch boutique that carries the Moonswatch” over here.

Just an FYI, don’t think you can go do this at Chinook Centre. I have no idea why they’re being so tight-arsed on what stores can carry the Moonswatch, but they are.

I sent my Breitling SuperOcean Heritage in for servicing and polishing, it’ll take about 4-6 weeks. I’ll post pictures when it’s back, it should look brilliant.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 07:36 AM   #1922
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lol, I was at Metrotown last week and they had almost every Moonswatch in stock. I found the thing looks really sharp but felt just too darn light for my liking.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:24 AM   #1923
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know guys have posted recommendations on here before, I'm looking for a recommendation for getting an Omega serviced.
Any suggestions?
Old 10-14-2022, 08:35 AM   #1924
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it a sin to ask about smartwatches here? Should I go with Galaxy 5 or a fossil?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:41 AM   #1925
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Is it a sin to ask about smartwatches here? Should I go with Galaxy 5 or a fossil?
I'm not an expert on this, but I generally go by the rule of thumb that if I'm looking for something that combines 2 products, I'll go with the company that has more history making the more important bit.

For a smart watch, you're likely more interested in the smart bit.
So I would go with the tech company that is packaging their stuff into a watch, rather than a watch company that is getting into tech.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 08:57 AM   #1926
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm a bit of a simpleton with tech and have apple everything and I really like my iWatch. I don't wear it much other than when I'm active or want to be hands free. I liked tracking bike rides and hikes with it and when using my phone for directions it is nice to have it on your wrist with the phone out of site. It's just not very watch like in appearance like some of the others.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:06 AM   #1927
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
I know guys have posted recommendations on here before, I'm looking for a recommendation for getting an Omega serviced.
Any suggestions?
Define "serviced". You can get a movement service, or you can get a full service which is movement, case and bracelet polishing/brushing, etc.

For a full service, I took my Speedy Pro 3572.50 to Calgary Jewellery back in 2016 to have sent off to the Omega service center, and it took about six weeks and ~$850 to replace a couple parts, but came back in pristine condition. Omega have since raised their prices, but that page should give you an idea of what you can expect to pay.

For a local watchmaker who can do a movement only service, that I don't know.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:20 AM   #1928
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Ooh look at Mr. “Vancouver has a Swatch boutique that carries the Moonswatch” over here.

Just an FYI, don’t think you can go do this at Chinook Centre. I have no idea why they’re being so tight-arsed on what stores can carry the Moonswatch, but they are.
You can get them from the swatch website if anyone really wants one.
They're still tight on inventory so you have to keep checking daily for availability but it's starting to increase. I think they'll be completely availability to anyone, anytime soon.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:26 AM   #1929
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

I sent my Breitling SuperOcean Heritage in for servicing and polishing, it’ll take about 4-6 weeks. I’ll post pictures when it’s back, it should look brilliant.
I thought the Swatch store at Chinook closed down.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:42 AM   #1930
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Been loving my 42mm Hamilton Khaki Field watch from Justin at Gem by Carati. I think I bought it about a month ago (I bought it with the steel bracelet in case I'm feeling fancy, but I usually wear it on one of a few NATOs I have).

Spoiler!

Also, if you have a large wrist (mine is 8") and normal-people NATO straps are too small, I found a wicked website out of France that has extra-long NATO straps and the price is super reasonable. Shipping is fast, too. I've done two different orders and they both arrived in about a week.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 09:59 AM   #1931
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Been loving my 42mm Hamilton Khaki Field watch from Justin at Gem by Carati. I think I bought it about a month ago (I bought it with the steel bracelet in case I'm feeling fancy, but I usually wear it on one of a few NATOs I have).

Spoiler!

Also, if you have a large wrist (mine is 8") and normal-people NATO straps are too small, I found a wicked website out of France that has extra-long NATO straps and the price is super reasonable. Shipping is fast, too. I've done two different orders and they both arrived in about a week.
Wow. I want one now.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 10:09 AM   #1932
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Must resist urge to purchase a watch...
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 10:12 AM   #1933
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Define "serviced". You can get a movement service, or you can get a full service which is movement, case and bracelet polishing/brushing, etc.

For a full service, I took my Speedy Pro 3572.50 to Calgary Jewellery back in 2016 to have sent off to the Omega service center, and it took about six weeks and ~$850 to replace a couple parts, but came back in pristine condition. Omega have since raised their prices, but that page should give you an idea of what you can expect to pay.

For a local watchmaker who can do a movement only service, that I don't know.
Awesome thanks.
I bought it at Calgary Jewelers, so that's probably what I'll do.
Thanks
Old 10-14-2022, 10:14 AM   #1934
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Wow. I want one now.
Yeah, Hamilton just hits such a sweet spot for me. I'm not interested - at this point - in the really expensive brands. I know it's a bit basic bitch of me as far as the collecting community goes, but for owning a really nice watch that's a marked step above just kind of average joe watches I think Hamilton is terrific and I always feel so good wearing it. It's not tens of thousands, but I'm proud of it, anyway, and love looking at it.

My other Hamilton - also from Justin - is this one, which I bought earlier this year. 43mm Khaki Navy Scuba:
Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 10:21 AM   #1935
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Was going to buy a nice jacket, now I'm looking at watches instead.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 10:37 AM   #1936
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, Hamilton just hits such a sweet spot for me. I'm not interested - at this point - in the really expensive brands. I know it's a bit basic bitch of me as far as the collecting community goes, but for owning a really nice watch that's a marked step above just kind of average joe watches I think Hamilton is terrific and I always feel so good wearing it. It's not tens of thousands, but I'm proud of it, anyway, and love looking at it.

My other Hamilton - also from Justin - is this one, which I bought earlier this year. 43mm Khaki Navy Scuba:
Spoiler!
I own like 20 watches and I can tell you that hands down, both your Hamilton watches are more valuable than all of my watches except for my 1 crown jewel (JLC MCM). Everything else I own was acquired for less than $330 CAD.

I wouldn't really call you a basic bitch of a collector. The cool part about watches for true horologists is that many are all excited in seeing these great watches out in the world. Someone with a watch worth 10x of yours can still run across the room to chat you up and appreciate the Hamilton on your wrist. I know I would. I've had excited talks many times at weddings with other watch hobbyists. It's like being a car enthusiast but no one is going to laugh you out of the room because you don't have a fleet of desirable cars and a lot less, "Oh, that's what you drive normally?".

I'm at a wedding years ago and someone literally runs across the room and says to me, "Hi! Is that a Seiko Cocktail time??? Can I take a closer look at it??" and then goes, "Oh, I only have my Omega (Planet Ocean) on right now... Can I borrow your watch for a little bit? You can borrow mine as collateral." Like... dude, your watch is worth literally 10-20x more than mine and you're excited and think it's no big deal? That's so cool... and also scary that you left your Omega with me for 25 nervous (to me) minutes, someone you barely knew and likely didn't even know my name.

There's other anecdotes of other people who have Orient or Seiko watches and individuals with Rolex Submariners chat them up.

I'm wearing an Apple watch right now and other than the activity tracking, notifications and the ability to find my phone... it's not really doing it for me. Part of the fun in owning watches is when someone complements my watch and I take it off and put it in their hand. That look of theirs is often priceless.

EDIT: Ah ####. I pulled the trigger. This is what I've been keeping an eye on and now I wait.

https://millenarywatches.com/seiko-p...bdc091-review/

Last edited by DoubleF; 10-14-2022 at 10:50 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 10:51 AM   #1937
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I own like 20 watches and I can tell you that hands down, both your Hamilton watches are more valuable than all of my watches except for my 1 crown jewel (JLC MCM). Everything else I own was acquired for less than $330 CAD.

I wouldn't really call you a basic bitch of a collector. The cool part about watches for true horologists is that many are all excited in seeing these great watches out in the world. Someone with a watch worth 10x of yours can still run across the room to chat you up and appreciate the Hamilton on your wrist. I know I would. I've had excited talks many times at weddings with other watch hobbyists. It's like being a car enthusiast but no one is going to laugh you out of the room because you don't have a fleet of desirable cars and a lot less, "Oh, that's what you drive normally?".

I'm at a wedding years ago and someone literally runs across the room and says to me, "Hi! Is that a Seiko Cocktail time??? Can I take a closer look at it??" and then goes, "Oh, I only have my Omega (Planet Ocean) on right now... Can I borrow your watch for a little bit? You can borrow mine as collateral." Like... dude, your watch is worth literally 10-20x more than mine and you're excited and think it's no big deal? That's so cool... and also scary that you left your Omega with me for 25 nervous (to me) minutes, someone you barely knew and likely didn't even know my name.

There's other anecdotes of other people who have Orient or Seiko watches and individuals with Rolex Submariners chat them up.

I'm wearing an Apple watch right now and other than the activity tracking, notifications and the ability to find my phone... it's not really doing it for me. Part of the fun in owning watches is when someone complements my watch and I take it off and put it in their hand. That look of theirs is often priceless.
Yeah, it is cool to play around with watches. I've never had somebody compliment my watch, but if I do I'll take it off to let them hold it like you do. That's such a rad move.

I like making fun of my wife's Cartier. "How's the lume?" 'it doesn't have any.' "Oh that's cool, they probably put that money into the automatic movement" 'it's quartz.' "OMG, I think there's a pricing error on what we paid...those ####ers added an extra zero!"

But she did just get a red Seiko Presage and I fataing love it. What a gorgeous watch that one is. We couldn't find any locally so she ended up ordering it from Japan. Little things like that can make something a tad cooler, too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 10:52 AM   #1938
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, I wouldn't call a hamilton a basic bitch watch.

An Apple Watch? Yes
A MVMT? Yes

A $700 - $1000 Hamilton, no. Those are nice watches.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 11:01 AM   #1939
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't call a hamilton a basic bitch watch.

An Apple Watch? Yes
A MVMT? Yes

A $700 - $1000 Hamilton, no. Those are nice watches.
That's fair. I guess I've watched too many YouTube videos where they talk about Hamiltons being "entry level," "starter," or "affordable."

Same thing the RV dealer did to me when I bought my 18' trailer years ago..."this is a good little starter RV". I still have it; nothing starter about it hah.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:29 AM   #1940
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, it is cool to play around with watches. I've never had somebody compliment my watch, but if I do I'll take it off to let them hold it like you do. That's such a rad move.

I like making fun of my wife's Cartier. "How's the lume?" 'it doesn't have any.' "Oh that's cool, they probably put that money into the automatic movement" 'it's quartz.' "OMG, I think there's a pricing error on what we paid...those ####ers added an extra zero!"

But she did just get a red Seiko Presage and I fataing love it. What a gorgeous watch that one is. We couldn't find any locally so she ended up ordering it from Japan. Little things like that can make something a tad cooler, too.
The Presage series is a great watch. Beautiful and amazing quality + value. IIRC, you had a Seiko 5 as well? Don't forget that one and give it a daily drive from time to time.

The stories that accompany the watches people wear are awesome. I love hearing someone tell me that the watch was to commemorate a milestone or there's a funny story associated with that specific watch.

I got into a funky mood one day and decided I needed to go way over the top and get some dad bling. I went out and acquired these two watches for less than $200 CAD each because they weren't brand new:

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/p...rmore/sne457p9

https://www.amazon.ca/Bulova-97D108-.../dp/B01HGWCPQQ

These two are great at kickstarting conversations, especially the Seiko. I love that it's a bit over the top. There's been a few comments from ladies who say the Seiko is gigantic on their wrist, but it still actually looks really good to them as if it were a really nice cuff bracelet. Lots of them seize up when I put the watch in their hands. They all often think it's an ultra expensive watch and then relax when I tell them what I paid for it. I especially loved how these two were relatively inexpensive and seemingly more accessible/noticed by non-watch people.

I still love my dressier watches, but they are a little too serious and don't start conversations with non-watch enthusiasts like those two do. Another watch I own that starts up a ton of conversations is my Orient Black Mako:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because it's a dive watch, I wear this one for water activities a lot and I hop into the hot tub with it on. Perhaps it's not great for the watch, but oh well. It was inexpensive, dive quality water proof and I can easily track how long I've been in the hot tub using the rotating bezel. The conversation often starts with, "OMG! You forgot to take your watch off!"

Quote:
That's fair. I guess I've watched too many YouTube videos where they talk about Hamiltons being "entry level," "starter," or "affordable."

Same thing the RV dealer did to me when I bought my 18' trailer years ago..."this is a good little starter RV". I still have it; nothing starter about it hah.
People use these descriptions for houses as well. First world problems I guess.

Seriously though, Hamiltons aren't my style, but I'd never say they aren't nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: