Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default How to tell if your wireless router is pooched?

Since the power went out unexpectedly here in Calgary yesterday morning, I've been unable to connect wirelessly using the ol' wireless router (WRT54G).

1. I can get to the web by connecting my laptop directly to the Shaw cable modem.
2. I can get to the web by connecting the router to the modem and the laptop to the router with an ethernet cable.
3. I can connect to the web wirelessly to open networks in my neighbourhood.
4. I cannot connect to the web wirelessly to my router using the usual settings I had before yesterday's power blip.
5. I cannot connect to the web wirelessly using the router after reseting everything to factory defaults (reset button on router).

Pretty sure this means the router's pooched, right? Any ideas?
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Incinerator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you have the router plugged in to a surge protector power bar before the outage?

Did you try adjusting the antennas in all positions?

Did you push the reset button while the router was plugged in and powered on?

If you answered yes to all of the above then I think you'll probably need a new router.
Incinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes x3

I can see the network ssid on both laptops. I just can't connect to it. Whether I'm using WPA or just leaving it completely open, I got nuttin'.

Time to check the buy/sell forum, I guess.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

My old router would reset to default everytime the power went out, quite lame because if you didn't realize it, it would be offering free open wireless with no password and just the default login (admin/admin).
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
I_am_Beast
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can you read this?

yes? then it's working No? then it's pooched!
I_am_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you see your network? Have you tried resetting to factory defaults to see if its a setting issue? If you cant see your network admin into it via the wired connection to make sure you havent turned off the wireless (you can on that models default firmware)

The cases on those routers are fairly easy to take off, I cant remember the exact model but I believe the chip on the right its the wireless one, check to see if the lines are scorched.

Its very weird for any router to just die for no reason. Have you tried connecting another computer to the router wirelessly?
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Can you see your network?
Yes. The ssid showed up as skippy (same as before all the problems started). After I reset, it showed up as linksys. Seemed normal.

Quote:
Have you tried resetting to factory defaults to see if its a setting issue?
Yes. I could still see the network as before but got a connection errors.

Quote:
If you cant see your network admin into it via the wired connection to make sure you havent turned off the wireless (you can on that models default firmware)
I could admin into it with the wired connection and wireless was turned on (hence my being able to see the network as per above ).

Quote:
The cases on those routers are fairly easy to take off, I cant remember the exact model but I believe the chip on the right its the wireless one, check to see if the lines are scorched.
Haven't opened the case. Not sure it's worth the hassle over a $40 router...

Quote:
Its very weird for any router to just die for no reason.
Well, problems started after the power outage on Sunday. I'm thinking, even though it was on a surge protector, that the power problems had something to do with it. Physically fried.

Quote:
Have you tried connecting another computer to the router wirelessly?
Yah, tried two different laptops (windows and mac). Both could see the network but neither could connect. When wired into the router with an ethernet cable, both could access the internets just not wirelessly.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #8
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ahh, probably a blown capacitor.

Not sure how hardware incline you are, if you are interested in tweaking hardware, download the Hak5 Podcast (3x02) you can turn that router into a powered over ethernet router - normally not handy unless you need to hide the router for some sort of home security.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, for those of you that said it was probably pooched... WRONG!

I had the modem and router unplugged for a day or so. Last night I plugged both in hoping to try a few things. Nothing worked. Angry, I unplugged the modem and resigned myself to a pooched router.

This afternoon I was doing some work from home and noticed my network was in a list of available networks. What the hell, I gave it a try. I connected. That was odd. Couldn't access the internet though. Pings to 192.whatever worked. Pings out to the internet didn't.

Then I remembered that the modem was unplugged. I juiced it back up and voila.

My router is like the Calgary Flames. When it works and its game, it's pretty tough to beat. It seems to disappear at unfortunate times and is completely useless during that period. Here's hoping for a little consistency from both for the next few months.