Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default EA declares No Madden for you PC Gamers

http://itsinthegame.ea.com/archive/2...and-more.aspx#

Peter Moore declares that the 20th anniversary of Madden will not be produced for PC.

Aside from the piss poor releases of most of the EA Sports products on PC and the general lack of updates from any of their titles (NHL 08 on PC is yet to receive a roster update) this shift away from PC titles to consoles is while inevitable, due to the market for the console versions, not releasing at the very least a roster updated version of said game is very disheartening to say the least.

Interesting with most of the commenters saying negative things in response to this and EA products in general.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

No big surprise. With the features they keep adding people have to upgrade their computers every year almost. I think that community (sports pc gamers) is dying and this is just one more nail in the coffin. Console is where its at.
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't bought a game for the computer in years other then something like SimCity.

10 years ago, when I was into playing video games a lot more and was all excited about NHL 96 or 97 on PC, and had to turn off every addition such as shadowing, the crowd background, and still got choppy play and frequent freezeups, its pretty much sucked.

Of course, I knew I needed a new computer, but hardly seemed worth it when I could pay a lot less for a PS and get all the graphics and announcing etc etc.

Nowadays, with the PS3/Wii/XBox generation and whatever's next, money better spent by EA in developing console games, then putting $ into something that only those with above average spec'ed computers can run properly this year, and next year, the same computer may have issue running.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mostly play FPS and hockey for my games. I am not a fan of FPS on consoles and I couldn't justify buying a console just to get hockey every year, so I switched to PC gaming. I'm still tempted to get a console, and I may have to if EA stops making hockey for the PC too.

Come to think of it though, I can't think of a person I've known who has played Madden or any similar football game on the PC, but I've known a few who play hockey on PC.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I mostly play FPS and hockey for my games. I am not a fan of FPS on consoles and I couldn't justify buying a console just to get hockey every year, so I switched to PC gaming. I'm still tempted to get a console, and I may have to if EA stops making hockey for the PC too.

Come to think of it though, I can't think of a person I've known who has played Madden or any similar football game on the PC, but I've known a few who play hockey on PC.
I play Madden on my PC and have for a while. But frankly it does lag behind the other versions of the same game.

06 and 07 were pretty much the same except for the way the trunk stick worked.

Sadly PC games are dying out, which is a shame because the PC is still the superior platform.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Madden is easily the biggest sports game seller in N. America, so I would expect them to axe the NHL series on PC as well. To be honest, the console handles sports games way better anyway.

I don't agree that gaming is dead on the PC though. I think it will just be a niche thing. Some games just don't work on the console, like SimCity or pretty much any RTS.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How do PC games make money for developers and publishers unless you have a blockbuster like WoW though? I'm amazed the PC gaming arena (outside or RTS and Sims as mentioned) has held on as long as it has.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #8
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
How do PC games make money for developers and publishers unless you have a blockbuster like WoW though? I'm amazed the PC gaming arena (outside or RTS and Sims as mentioned) has held on as long as it has.
WoW killed PC gaming. That and the people who developed Crysis. No one wants to spend 2-3 grand on a PC gaming rig every 2 years just to play basic games anymore. It's cheaper just to buy a nice TV and a console or two. Plus, you can play console games with friends in the same room.

Other then that, I think most developers realized if you create fun little flash games, you can make more money then developing intensely huge (and expensive) games.

I think Starcraft 2 might give the industry a bit of a boost though. But there is an example of a game designed to run on a broad set of specs rather then the high end.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #9
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Let's not forget how much easier it is for users to pirate pc games. I read a while back about Infinity Ward being heartbroken about finding out how many people were playing Call of Duty 4 online that hadn't actually bought it.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
WoW killed PC gaming. That and the people who developed Crysis. No one wants to spend 2-3 grand on a PC gaming rig every 2 years just to play basic games anymore. It's cheaper just to buy a nice TV and a console or two. Plus, you can play console games with friends in the same room.

Other then that, I think most developers realized if you create fun little flash games, you can make more money then developing intensely huge (and expensive) games.

I think Starcraft 2 might give the industry a bit of a boost though. But there is an example of a game designed to run on a broad set of specs rather then the high end.
I agree with yoru post, but I am not sure what WoW has to do with it. I mean, you can play WoW quite well on a 3 year old computer. The only thing hurting PC gaming is the ease of consoles. For average Joe, it's completely no brainer.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I agree with yoru post, but I am not sure what WoW has to do with it. I mean, you can play WoW quite well on a 3 year old computer. The only thing hurting PC gaming is the ease of consoles. For average Joe, it's completely no brainer.
Yeah, sorry. Kinda mixed two arguments there.

WoW has had a big impact on the PC Games market in two distinct ways:
- You can play it for 3 years straight and still experience new content. Other games are designed to last for a set number actual play hours (20-80). This allows room in most peoples lives to buy new games every now and then. WoW on the other hand is addictive and is constantly updated with new stuff. Most people don't have time to play anything but WoW.
- I think it was the president of EA who once claimed that it would take about 1 billion dollars to develop a contender to WoW. That's how much of a lock on the market it has (partially due to being able to be played on the average home PC/Mac). That's a huge initial investment in what is essentially a big gambit. Not exactly a fun thing to try to compete against.

The gaming industry is likely going to shift away from big 30+ hour games and start to deliver more episodic content. If this model takes off, I think Valve probably has the best PC method to handle it currently (Steam). Otherwise, Xbox Live and the PS3 online service are built for it and will become the de-facto distribution method for future game developers.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #12
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^^

Ah, that makes sense now.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am of the mind that both PC and Consoles have thier strengths and weaknesses. For me, RTS, FPS and MMORPG are FAR better suited for the PC. Sports games, fighting games and racing games are far better on a console.

While the line is getting fainter, I still prefer to do my gaming on the PC. I can play pretty much anything out there (including Crysis) without spening 2-3K per year upgrading. I really don't think anyone outside of NASA can play Crysis with everything set to max.

But I will agree with the statement that for the average joe, you do get a bit better bang for your buck with a console.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote