Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Brand NEW Dell Inspiron 1525 Bsod out of box

Hey guys,

I bought a brand new Inspiron from Dell for my ladyfriend. It arrived today, packaged prettily, and yet when I tried to begin the old first time start up stuff for her...

Blue Screen of Death after Blue Screen of Death.

I've restarted the thing about 20 times already, I get to a different stage along the process every time.. but before I can do basic stuff like get on the internet, the thing lags while doing something before eventually bsod-ing.

Needless to say I'm very dissapointed so far, this my first time going with a company like Dell (i always build my own Pcs but this is a laptop so..)

Anyway, what do the tech geniuses here recommend? Should I demand a replacement? After this initial display, I'm hesitant about trying to get the thing going myself just to have it fail again soon. It seems as if there's a major hardware problem...

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Send it back. They send a new one to you.

The same thing happened to my sister's laptop and she had no problem getting a new one.

You'll have to wait again but if you're spending your hard earned dollars you better be getting a working product.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yeah, there are a number of things that can cause a new PC to BSOD right out of the box. Odds are a replacement will be better.

Keep in mind you did also buy the entry level laptop. While you have every right to expect a laptop to work no matter if it was $500 or $4000, you cannot expect the same level of Quality Control on the $500 model.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:30 PM   #4
Incinerator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just send it back, and when you get the replacement, reformat the whole thing and re-install Windows Vista. I always do it whenever I buy Dells, they load so much crap on the the OS it lags and lags and lags out of the box. Works like a charm once I've gotten rid of all their partners' OEM softwares with a clean re-install of Windows.
Incinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Return it and purchase a Lenovo Thinkpad.

I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote