Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #841
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
How many people in Canada are rich enough to buy the Jays? Honest question. That's an expensive game to get involved with.

That said, they are the largest market in MLB and when they're good, people eat it up.
That's what's so frustrating as there's nothing worse than a professional sports team run by bean counters. They have a market of 37 million people and if they were actually committed to putting out a good product they would have continually good attendance and TV numbers but Rogers continues to run the team on the same sort of shoestring budget they do with their other entities and that's just not going to fly in AL East.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:14 PM   #842
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

welp aside from brunt and friedman there is now officially no reason to listen to the morning show

rip
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:17 PM   #843
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will give Boomer props this summer for the 80's hair metal, 90's alternative music/talk of late. Best stuff they have done in a while.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:28 PM   #844
SniperJ
Backup Goalie

Exp:

That 2 week stretch with Klein as the host was abysmal
Old 07-30-2019, 01:38 PM   #845
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Rhett provided very little insight into the actual 'sports' talk on the Morning Show but he was likable and entertaining most of the time. My drastically reduced summer listing my become the year round norm.
TheKurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #846
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
welp aside from brunt and friedman there is now officially no reason to listen to the morning show

rip
I like Adnan Virk as well. But yes, other than Freidge, Brunt, Adnan, and (my own bias) Loubo, there aren't many guests they get that I like listening to. I'm not a Stamps fan, so although Dickensen is a good interview, it's more the content that I'm not too interested in. I do like when Tre or Connie are on there as well.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:30 PM   #847
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Did Rhett just mention he’d like to get into coaching? But seemed to indicate it’s not something in his immediate future.
Wasn't Warrener helping out with the coaching staff during the prospects camp earlier this month? I thought I saw a photo of him out there.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:34 PM   #848
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Wasn't Warrener helping out with the coaching staff during the prospects camp earlier this month? I thought I saw a photo of him out there.
Yep. Additionally, the scrimmage was "Team Warrener" vs. "Team Stajan."

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #849
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKurgan View Post
Rhett provided very little insight into the actual 'sports' talk on the Morning Show but he was likable and entertaining most of the time. My drastically reduced summer listing my become the year round norm.
I liked Warrener but you are correct that he never brought a lot of insight into discussions regarding anything other than the NHL and even at that I would have like do hear a little more from him as I feel he wasn't overly opinionated and just sat back a little too much and let the other guys talk. Show will be worse without him for sure. I don't mind Krahn as he's more opinionated and we will just have to see what direction they take the show in the fall.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #850
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
He was and he said this morning that he loved it. Boomer was also encouraging him on air to get into coaching.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #851
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see Stajan coaching, but for some reason I can't see it with Warrener. He never struck me as a student of the game, he hasn't spent any that I've heard of time post-career learning coaching theory and methods. Now, some players have gone right in to coaching and done fine, but IMO most coaches need some study.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 05:34 PM   #852
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baseball talk may be a bit much during the summer, but I do enjoy the way they air afternoon games live - given the choice between talking heads and an actual game, I'll take the actual event every time. I heard Bo Bichette's first big league home run today. I'd rather hear that than one of the redshirts hosting the Steinberg show.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:22 PM   #853
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at the mother ship today to record a commercial, and the people there have no idea who is replacing Warrener. Apparently, there are some new hires to be unveiled, but expect an ex-jock type to replace the ex-jock. Unknown at this point.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 06:33 PM   #854
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A few times I hear Cory Sarich I enjoyed him on the radio as a quick interview. Rhett had his thing and it might be tough to replace.

Hopefully somebody that has a strong connection to Calgary and the Flames! I will miss Rhett! It would be nice if they could come to an agreement with him on an even more reduced schedule or a fill in guy here and there, he does have a good personality for the radio and he is quite funny. As a hockey analyst, when he wants to, he can be quite good.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 06:35 PM   #855
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hopefully not The Real Deal's agent Mike Commodore.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:06 PM   #856
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Boomer and Rhett were so bad. Unless there was a guest like Friedman, they talk about NOTHING.

Calgary really is not served well by sports radio but I guess we get what our economics bring us.
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:13 PM   #857
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Double post
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:36 PM   #858
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
He was and he said this morning that he loved it. Boomer was also encouraging him on air to get into coaching.
My guess, Rhett already has an assistant coaching job lined up....
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:48 PM   #859
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poster View Post
Boomer and Rhett were so bad. Unless there was a guest like Friedman, they talk about NOTHING.

Calgary really is not served well by sports radio but I guess we get what our economics bring us.
Not only do they talk about nothing. They revel in their ignorance & put in minimal effort, or even brag about doing no prep work.

Maybe if Rogers would incentivize the positions more they would develop & retain better talent. What is stopping anyone in the position of Boomer of creating their own podcast to sell to advertisers in lieu of more money at the station? Of course in Boomers case... effort and desire are what would stop him.

The station has become stale because there is no growth that enables the research and insight listens value.

They basically alienated their own developed talent in Rob Kerr as insult to injury.

The station is completely out of ideas & void of creativity. This is why they struggle when they can’t beat a negative story to death.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 09:59 PM   #860
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of the younger guys are growing quite well, I'd say. Not quite to the point where there's no drop-off, but they're getting there.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post: