Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
asif.hirji
Lifetime Suspension

Default Computer problem/Repair Places

Alright, so my pc is infected with malware, and as u no its terribly hard to get rid of, anyways i tried to reformat so i boot in the boot cd, and attempted to reformat but got an error saying your computer may have a virus and installation cannot be completed please restart your computer and scan it for virus'. However with the cd out of the drive it still goes directly to that screen and i cannot access my desktop or anything anymore. Long story short im fed up of trying to fix it myself and am willing to get it fixed locally in calgary, does anyone no any good places that are not to pricey?
asif.hirji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you do not need data-backup, then I will fix the machine in my kitchen in two hours for $40. PM me if you're interested.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

if you can, its best to remove the hd from the infected machine, load it as a secondary drive in another, then run the spyware/anti virus/etc on it, rather than trying to load windows and do all that. if you cant find the drive in windows, or if you go into disk management and it says that it is not active or something other than 'healthy' DO NOT PROCEED.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
if you can, its best to remove the hd from the infected machine, load it as a secondary drive in another, then run the spyware/anti virus/etc on it, rather than trying to load windows and do all that. if you cant find the drive in windows, or if you go into disk management and it says that it is not active or something other than 'healthy' DO NOT PROCEED.
Respectfully disagree.

It is both cheaper and much less time consuming to just KILLDISK the hard drive and re-install everything. Plus, more often than not using anti-virus programs on a HEAVILY INFECTED system leads to system instability, BSOD's and finally, having to do what I am suggesting to begin with.

Back up your files, scan the portable HD or DVDs for viruses, and reinstall the programs once the comp has been wiped and re-built.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

^ not saying it isnt an option at all, but some people a) dont have that kind of time or patience, have the skill or the availability to do that and c) as we all know, sometimes repair installs dont go as well as hoped either.

mine is just an option.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ not saying it isnt an option at all, but some people a) dont have that kind of time or patience, have the skill or the availability to do that and c) as we all know, sometimes repair installs dont go as well as hoped either.

mine is just an option.
True enough. To each their own. In my experience tho:

a) Requires least amount of time and patience

b) (you skipped b! )

c) true, but if you can't reinstall an OS for some reason, then there is a much larger problem than a virus (ie, corrupt [broken] hardware)....

Old 04-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

b was the skill/availability...

and for the record, I have done lots of spyware/virus cleans with an existing setup, and it has performed like a champ afterwards too, so I guess it depends on how seriously it was embedded in it, and how many things are bad...
Old 04-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
b was the skill/availability...

and for the record, I have done lots of spyware/virus cleans with an existing setup, and it has performed like a champ afterwards too, so I guess it depends on how seriously it was embedded in it, and how many things are bad...
VERY TRUE!

If it scans out at less than 10 viruses and 100 spies I will generally fix it your way.

Any more than that though, and it becomes a time/money issue.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
asif.hirji
Lifetime Suspension

sent you a pm, check your inbox
asif.hirji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

d) transfer files to a removable hard disk/flash drive. Buy a Mac or install linux.

The cheapest, easiest way to fix your problem has already been mentioned: back up files, wipe the disk clean (use something other then the Win CD), re-install a fresh copy of Windows.

You can pay someone to do that, but it will likely cost 100-300$. A decent place is Memory Express (www.memoryexpress.com). Honestly though, it really isn't that difficult to wipe a system and install Windows (especially if you have Vista).

If you do re-install Windows XP, don't connect to the Internet until you have applied Service Pack 2 (SP2). Or at least, go through a hardware router!
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif.hirji View Post
sent you a pm, check your inbox

Cheers!