Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
hatty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Using backup partition on laptops

just wondering if anyone has done this on their laptop, and how easy is it to do, i've done formats using windows xp cd's on computer's, i only ask because i'd probably be walking a friend through the process, is it easier to use the windows Xp disc, or easier to use the backup partition already on a Laptop
hatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backup partition usually rebuilds the computer to be identical to how it was when created. It is probably easier than a rebuild, but I prefer a build from the ground up so I don't get all the absolute crap manufacturers want to include by default.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #3
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would suggest checking your windows features to see if the possibility of burning your recovery media is available. Then once a disc copy is secured, destroy all partitions with some kind of killdisk, resetting all sectors on the HD to "0". When you reinstall Windows 2000, XP, or Vista, you will format NTFS.

It is often found under System Tools in the Accessories menu, if not as its own tree called something along the lines of "Recovery...."

See how much manufacturers crap pops up. Seems to be that if you cannot remove it with Add/Remove Programs (in XP), or Programs & Features (in Vista), that finding it in the Program Files and deleting it doesn't compromise any system integrity.

Cheers!

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
hatty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

thanks guys, i tried the recovery but something screwed up in the middle of it so i was like forget this and deleted all partitions and just did a clean install, i like it better this way, like mentioned above, none of that factory crap that comes with it, only the stuff i want, thanks again
hatty is offline   Reply With Quote