Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Bell Dual Tuner HD PVR -

My mom got one of these on Boxing Day and just the other day realized you can watch 2 TV's at once with the second remote controlling the second tuner. So I have been recruited to make it happen.

I have not seen the instructions but as she described to me you just need to connect the second TV to the box via Component, Composite, etc.

The problem arises that her box is in the living room with her TV etc and the Sat feed is the only coax that comes into this room. I would rather avoid running an extra set of cable from this box through the house to the other TV.

There is an existing coax from the satelite to this other TV so I was wondering if there is a way to run the signal back through the Satelite signal coax to the splitter so I can get it to the other TV through the existing coax. I assume I will need to buy some special 'splitter' type thing of some type to make this happen.

The other TV isn't HD so we don't care about any loss of quality ETC, she just wants access to her PVR when she is in the room.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Google the word "diplexer." That's the thing-ma-bob you need to make it work.

I can't get into details now as I'm busy at work, but hopefully that gets you started.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Kev
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So there should be two cables running the box now. And you're hoping to just run the output cable from the box back to the dish where there is already a cable running to the second TV that you would connect to?
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
So there should be two cables running the box now.
Came back to this thread as I just thought of this. If there is only one cable running to the box now, they will be using single mode only, so the remote TV will only be able to see what the main TV sees anyways.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you have satellite, the dual tuner does you no good. You cannot split a satellite signal like you can a digital signal......... i learned the hard way , i had a tivo dual tuner and thought this was awesome , i can record my wifes shows and watch flames live... it was all good til i upgraded to satellite and they said it work , they failed to tell me i could use the dual tuner on satellite.......
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
if you have satellite, the dual tuner does you no good. You cannot split a satellite signal like you can a digital signal.........
You are correct that you cannot split a satellite signal. But that isn't what this thread is about. It's about setting up a dual tuner receiver.

And I can tell you for a fact that the dual tuner on my 9242 works like a charm and does me a lot of good.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there is only one cable ran from the dish to the PVR. I know they had to install a new dish and did some stuff when they activated the new box but I have no idea what.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Well, there is a "one cable" way to hook it up to enable both tuners, but I have a feeling if your parents need your help they likely wouldn't have gone down this road. See my example #1 here.

If they did go that route, I shudder to think of the potential issues of trying to add a diplexer to a line with a seperator- especially seeing as the other end of the single cable has to go into the DPP LNB.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't do the install, she was forced to get Bell to install it so she would qualify for a 100 buck rebate or something. Worked well for me since I didn't want to do install the new dish.

Just so I understand you.

If there is a DPP Twin LNB and a DPP seperator then it has both tuners ran through 1 coax cable. Correct? And if it has this setup then I will have alot of problems with setting up the Diplexer?

If the installer decided to just not install the second tuner in the method you have described, is there another way I can do it or do I need to implement what you have described (in your Example 1). Also what is the aprox cost of it so I can give her the choice?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's an annoying add for sending a wireless signal to a second TV. I have no idea how well it works but it may be an option.
Myself, I'd just run another co-ax cable to the second TV. Also be aware that if you change the 9242 to dual tuner mode so you can watch separate programming on the second TV, you may lose some functions such as recording HD while watching a second HD program, or so I understand.

http://www.x10.com/minisites/videose...eo_sender.html
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I didn't do the install, she was forced to get Bell to install it so she would qualify for a 100 buck rebate or something. Worked well for me since I didn't want to do install the new dish.

Just so I understand you.

If there is a DPP Twin LNB and a DPP seperator then it has both tuners ran through 1 coax cable. Correct? And if it has this setup then I will have alot of problems with setting up the Diplexer?

If the installer decided to just not install the second tuner in the method you have described, is there another way I can do it or do I need to implement what you have described (in your Example 1). Also what is the aprox cost of it so I can give her the choice?
From what I've read, If Bell did the install they don't use DPP hardware, so you should have two co-ax cable feeds into your 9242 box. These should be coming out of a SW 44 switch.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #12
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I find it well worth the $2.50 a month to rent a basic SDTV receiver from Bell for the second TV rather than go through the complications of using the dual tuner setup. Just saying. Hope it works out for you though.

And yeah, there should be two lines into the 9242 with a standard install.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #13
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks alot. I will go over to her house this weekend and examine the setup.

As for renting a SD box, she has 3 SD boxes in addition to her HD PVR, she just wants to be able to watch her PVR on the other TV.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ah, missed that it was a PVR issue primarily. Good luck this weekend!
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote