Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:
Default Wireless Router Recommendation?

My old 802.11b Microsoft Router (back when they used to make hardware) just died a squealing death.

Now, I need a new router, any recommendations for home use? I had a D-Link product that fried itself once, not sure about them. I'm most concerned about range and penetration between walls/floors, etc.

Price range is $50-$80. What's the longest range router I can get? I don't really need Wireless N or anything like that.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've got the DLink Rangebooster N :http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...14361(ME).aspx
Not bad for the price. You could certainly do better then it for 20-30$ more though.

For a cheaper "G" solution: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...15380(ME).aspx

There are Linksys equivalents but they tend to run a bit more in price. I'd wager that Dlink an Linksys offer similar quality products for the home market, but I've never had direct experience with Linksys products.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
My old 802.11b Microsoft Router (back when they used to make hardware) just died a squealing death.

Now, I need a new router, any recommendations for home use? I had a D-Link product that fried itself once, not sure about them. I'm most concerned about range and penetration between walls/floors, etc.

Price range is $50-$80. What's the longest range router I can get? I don't really need Wireless N or anything like that.
Either D-Link or Lynksis would do you fine. My preference is Linksys, but D-Link is cheaper and not really anything wrong with it. I just like the interface for Linksys better than D-Link's.

Here are links to each offering as sold by Staples:

D-Link's basic wireless router

Linksys's basic wireless router

Note that these are wireless G. You may want to go ahead and get a Wireless N (or pre-wireless N if you will) because you never know when you'll want to upgrade.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
There are Linksys equivalents but they tend to run a bit more in price. I'd wager that Dlink an Linksys offer similar quality products for the home market, but I've never had direct experience with Linksys products.

They do. My preference is Linksys because of their interface, but my first experience was with Linksys and I used them extensively before I touched a D-Link. So it really comes down to preference. All of these routers come with way more options than your average home user really needs.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you haven't purchased a wireless router yet, make sure you check out Netgear:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Rout...ssRouters.aspx
Old 03-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I haven't purchased one yet, I'm borrowing an old one from somebody for the time being. I'm told that the Draft-N standard is not good yet at the moment.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #7
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I haven't purchased one yet, I'm borrowing an old one from somebody for the time being. I'm told that the Draft-N standard is not good yet at the moment.
Keep in mind that the "N" routers still function at "G" specifications. For ~10-20$ more you get future compatibility without any cost to performance.

But you probably can't go wrong with any choice. If range is a problem, look into getting a larger antenna for the router. They usually run about 20$.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:55 AM   #8
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Linksys WRT54G

It was determined that Linksys used gpl code for the firmware so they had to release the firmware. As such some great frimware have been developed for this model.

I currently have 37 new in box in my condo for my part time consulting job.

The chilispot software is great for setting up a wireless biz per say in an apartment.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:02 PM   #9
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a fan of netgear. Just threw one in the trash because it was junk.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
greerb
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Linksys WRT54G

I do have to second that was the best router I ever had. I would go with atleast a wireless N router. I have the WRT150N and I hate it. Just throwing this out there look at the Apple Air Port as well. It has a built in USB port for either a printer of a hard drive. the only downfall $200.