Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2022, 08:03 PM   #701
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

You might need the 8 year contract to spread out the dollars for cap purposes. If JG is like other players, he cares most about the full contract amount. Just be prepared to maybe trade and retain in the last couple years.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:10 PM   #702
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You might need the 8 year contract to spread out the dollars for cap purposes. If JG is like other players, he cares most about the full contract amount. Just be prepared to maybe trade and retain in the last couple years.

I think he gets 8 years as he will want full term. I doubt it lowers rather AAV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:28 PM   #703
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

Trading him is no longer a realistic option so it’s either sign him or lose for nothing. What is the walk away price on an 8 year deal? $11 million?
Why is trading no longer an option?

The team can absolutely not let March 21 come go without an extension or a trade.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:00 PM   #704
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I think he gets 8 years as he will want full term. I doubt it lowers rather AAV.

If he wants 8 years, only one team can give him that. Absolutely that would lower the AAV.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:12 PM   #705
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

The team can absolutely not let March 21 come go without an extension or a trade.

Because the Flames likely aren’t trading him if they are making the playoffs. Plus, if he was smart and put 5 teams on his list that would have no interest in trading for a rental, he effectively has a full no trade contract. He has complete control. He can use that leverage to get a mega contract.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:30 PM   #706
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Because the Flames likely aren’t trading him if they are making the playoffs. Plus, if he was smart and put 5 teams on his list that would have no interest in trading for a rental, he effectively has a full no trade contract. He has complete control. He can use that leverage to get a mega contract.

That's a pretty big IF, can't imagine any team in the running who wouldn't want him as a rental.

His list is likely Buffalo, Ottawa, Seattle, Montreal and San Jose.

I think what you are trying to say is teams won't want to pay Tre's price for Johnny as a rental.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:52 PM   #707
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a pretty big IF, can't imagine any team in the running who wouldn't want him as a rental.

I think what you are trying to say is teams won't want to pay Tre's price for Johnny as a rental.
Why would any of those teams want to rent him? They are out. You realize he has a 5 team list of places he’s willing to go to, not a 5 team no trade list. So his list may well be what you say IF he’s determined not to be traded.

That said, assuming he definitely wants to test FA anyway, why wouldn’t he include contenders, or waive for one. He can look forward to a good PO run and still go UFA. It’s not like he’s uprooting kids or anything.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:06 AM   #708
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had his NTC wrong then.

Flames are screwed.

Last edited by DoubleK; 01-04-2022 at 12:12 AM.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 01:05 AM   #709
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Much as I don’t like it, I actually don’t mind them shooting their shot this year with Darryl In charge and letting the chips fall where they may.

If it doesn’t work out and Tkachuk and Johnny (and presumably Lindholm) all leave, it forces a rebuild many people have been clamouring for anyway.

Kinda sucks if they don’t maximize the return, but this group could do a bit of damage at least once, and it may as well be now.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 01:06 AM   #710
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Johnny must give a 5 team list where he would accept a trade too. If he’s smart, he listed 5 teams that had no interest in a rental. You correct in who might be on his list actually, effectively giving him complete control.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:09 AM   #711
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Why would any of those teams want to rent him? They are out. You realize he has a 5 team list of places he’s willing to go to, not a 5 team no trade list. So his list may well be what you say IF he’s determined not to be traded.

That said, assuming he definitely wants to test FA anyway, why wouldn’t he include contenders, or waive for one. He can look forward to a good PO run and still go UFA. It’s not like he’s uprooting kids or anything.

I never said he wouldn’t approve a trade, just that he would want complete control.

Of course, one reason he might not approve any trade would be to force Calgary to pay his asking price, as their choice would be to either pay or see him walk. As Calgary is going to make the playoffs, it’s not like he’s missing out on that anyway.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:13 AM   #712
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

As mentioned above, I thought it was a 5 team No Trade Clause.

Not a 5 team Trade Clause.

He gonna walk for nothing.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:21 AM   #713
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As great as Johnny has been this season, I'd rather wait and see what happens in the playoffs before throwing 80M+ at him. This isn't the first time Johnny has had an unbelievable regular season but he has yet to be that se player come playoffs.

I think it's not necessarily a bad thing that we haven't locked him up yet. The goal is a Stanley Cup and he (and the rest of the team) still have a lot to prove.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:32 AM   #714
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
As mentioned above, I thought it was a 5 team No Trade Clause.

Not a 5 team Trade Clause.

He gonna walk for nothing.

Or he is going to re-sign in the offseason.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:41 AM   #715
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
As great as Johnny has been this season, I'd rather wait and see what happens in the playoffs before throwing 80M+ at him. This isn't the first time Johnny has had an unbelievable regular season but he has yet to be that se player come playoffs.

I think it's not necessarily a bad thing that we haven't locked him up yet. The goal is a Stanley Cup and he (and the rest of the team) still have a lot to prove.
Not me. I’d rather pay him $80M right now. We can’t risk losing him for nothing.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:44 AM   #716
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, let's give up on a successful season for Kenny Agostini and the joy of watching a late first rounder progress through the system for 4 years before hopefully becoming a third line player.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 07:52 AM   #717
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

With or without the no trade clause, i don't see Gaudreau being moved in the middle of a season where they are competing for top spot n the west in the division and conference. This team runs in a win now mode.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:56 AM   #718
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Serevelli (sp) on 960 figures johnny gets 8.25 per year. I say sign him to 8 years if that's the number
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2022, 08:00 AM   #719
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anything under 9.5 is a massive win. Seravalli seems out of touch with this one.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:06 AM   #720
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Serevelli (sp) on 960 figures johnny gets 8.25 per year. I say sign him to 8 years if that's the number

Based on what?

If he would accept that, he'd be signed already.

With Johnny having 100% of the leverage on his transaction, I can't see him signing such a below market deal.

You gotta think Serevalli is simply out to lunch. I hope he's not though.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win