Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-20-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:
Default Star Wars: The Old Republic

maybe the most ambitious game ever?

Quote:
One of the really interesting things about doing the game this way is – because we were pushing for replayability, pushing for people to be able to have very separate experiences – we got to do something we’ve never been able to do before, which is fully individualized stories. So if we’re talking about a Baldur’s Gate or any role-playing game, you have to do a kind of general story. We don’t know if you’re a mage or if you’re a warrior. We just kind of have to make it work. Now, with the backstories, we have a smuggler-specific RPG. You can roll a smuggler, and he’s got a crazy story. And it’s funny, and he’s got ridiculous lines, and he’s always in over his head, and everything’s always going wrong, and you can flirt with everything that moves. And then you go and roll a bounty hunter, and it’s much more serious. He’s sort of a gunslinger, and he’s one man with a gun making his way in the world.

They’re like completely different RPGs that you would have never gotten to see. And the big one of course – that people are still trying to get their heads around – is that if you played that smuggler RPG, and you played that from the beginning all the way to the end, and then you decided “I want something new,” and you played the bounty hunter all the way to the end, you would not see one piece of repeated content.
it would sound like a lot of BS if it weren't BioWare saying it. if they manage to pull that off it'll completely change the MMO landscape
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would have no interest in this game whatsoever if it weren't for Star Trek Online. I cannot wait for it's release.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm foaming at the mouth.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post
I would have no interest in this game whatsoever if it weren't for Star Trek Online. I cannot wait for it's release.
From what I've heard, people are abandoning Star Trek on line in drove. Most of the nerdlingers, played it hard got to an admiral level and there was nothing to do after that.

Besides the fact that the missions are repetitive and the planetary missions are besides being all the same are boring.

Its too bad, they could have done so much with the Star Trek Universe and they executed it poorly.

I am looking forward to KOTOR, my fear is that every dinkus is going to want to be a Sith lord and they'll be nothing else.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have no doubt that Bioware is going to pull off an amazing RPG experience with each character class.

However, I doubt the longevity of the game. It almost feels like a single-player game that you play with other people rather than a true MMO. I'll probably give it a shot, but there is no way I'd get something like a lifetime subscription or something like that for it.

Yeah, word from STO players is that there's not even potential within the game. With some MMO's like Aion or Vanguard, it was a crappy game, but you always felt that they could turn it around if they put more money into x or spent more time on y. With STO I hear that it's just a pile of crap that would take years of redoing basic mechanics to even reach a playable state.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't wait for this game and I've got 2 veteran WoW player friends that are all over this too. Is this the MMO that has a chance a chance to finally put a big dent in WoW's straglehold on the MMO genre?
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I wanna be a Jedi, like my father before me!!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
Whaleface
Farm Team Player

Exp:

this game is going to be to be beyond epic. If any locals (including all albertans/western canadians) are looking to get a guild started, i would be more then happy to be apart of it. 18+ would be ideal.

I played the original SWG but have not touched another mmo since I left the game in 2006-07.

I am looking forward to the ultimate gaming experience!!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They should put an 8 hour limit on games like these. 8 on 4 off. Just to keep the chinese from killing themselves. MAke the characters lose attirbute points the longer they go over the limit until the characters have "rested" for 4 hours.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
They should put an 8 hour limit on games like these. 8 on 4 off. Just to keep the chinese from killing themselves. MAke the characters lose attirbute points the longer they go over the limit until the characters have "rested" for 4 hours.
You racist. You forgot the Koreans and Japanese.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think this would just cause people to buy two accounts and rotate each account every 8 hours
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
I think this would just cause people to buy two accounts and rotate each account every 8 hours
Oh it probably would. But it would generate more money for the company then, from the people that just seem to be too stupid to control themselves.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Oh it probably would. But it would generate more money for the company then, from the people that just seem to be too stupid to control themselves.
Win-win, I like it

KOTOR is my favorite game of all time, so I'm really looking forward to this.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #14
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
However, I doubt the longevity of the game. It almost feels like a single-player game that you play with other people rather than a true MMO. I'll probably give it a shot, but there is no way I'd get something like a lifetime subscription or something like that for it.
I mostly played WoW like a single player game. Between the relatively slow rate I play and the amount of new quests and content that Blizzard is constantly adding, I'm not sure if I ever would have run out of quests. If BioWare keeps adding content and such fast enough, even if you rarely interact with other players you might never "beat the game."

I'm very excited about this game.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:29 AM   #15
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am not a MMO person, just play the xbox, but this is really getting me excited.

Depending on how much they charge a month I will definitely buy it.

And I think CaptainCrunch is right, everyone is going to be a sith lord/jedi knight. I know I am. Although the Bounty Hunter intrigues me as well.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:41 AM   #16
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
And I think CaptainCrunch is right, everyone is going to be a sith lord/jedi knight. I know I am. Although the Bounty Hunter intrigues me as well.

No, every one wants to pretend they're bad ass so they're Sith. I wanna be a Jedi because I prefer them.

The Lightside was good enough for Sammy J and it's good enough for me.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #17
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

This game looks great. I havent really gotten into a MMO besides WOW for years.. I still play it on and off but I am so tired of the gear treadmill. I have been waiting for a MMO that could finally give it a run for its money and I think we might have found it.

Whos starting the Calgary Puck TOR guild? I nominate CaptainCrunch as our cruel but fair guild master.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #18
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, bloody executions for any that dispute my reign. Candy and hot 18 year old girls who don't

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #19
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jedi, Sith and Smugglers.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #20
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

Whos starting the Calgary Puck TOR guild? I nominate CaptainCrunch as our cruel but fair guild master.

The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post: