Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #3201
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
For someone who understands the project a little better, I have to ask: Page 6, the little horseshoe looking interchange at Richard Road -- is that still in the plans? That would be VERY welcomed for our neighbourhood.

It doesn't look like it is included.

https://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...l_Widening.pdf

https://www.calgary.ca/Transportatio...e-upgrade.aspx
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #3202
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Faaaaack. Probably another victim of budgetary constraints.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #3203
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

It may not be included now, but doesn't mean it won't be implemented in the future.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:48 PM   #3204
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
It was designed to be a temporary overpass to bridge the gap between needing the traffic alleviated at Glenmore/37th and the Ring Road project getting done. IIRC to save costs it was designed and built with a 30 year lifespan or so, which is pretty darn short for overpass projects.

EDIT: for anyone interested, he was a presentation on it.

https://www.ucalgary.ca/EN/Civil/csc...ation_CSCE.pdf
Nice to see that the supporting structure is reuseable. I assumed typical bridge construction with a driven pile foundation.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #3205
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

When it was said that the construction will complete by fall 2021 does it mean only the SW portion (22X to Glenmore), but not including the Glenmore to 16 Ave part?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:46 PM   #3206
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
When it was said that the construction will complete by fall 2021 does it mean only the SW portion (22X to Glenmore), but not including the Glenmore to 16 Ave part?
Correct. The remaining portion to connect Highway 8 to Highway 1 is supposed to be open in 2022.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:05 AM   #3207
stevinder
Backup Goalie

Exp:

How I spent my holiday Monday:

Old 05-22-2020, 06:20 AM   #3208
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

A chunk of the SWRR could open this fall. That’s way ahead of what people thought, and I guess it’s weather dependent.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...rail-1.5579780
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 06:29 AM   #3209
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 05-22-2020, 06:47 AM   #3210
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The contract they signed was for October 1, 2020... so how is an October 1, 2020 opening way ahead of what people thought? I have no idea what's going on right now. The ghetto map I made for the Wikipedia article remains correct.

Wait, what is this trash in the CBC article?

Quote:
Yet no one in the Alberta government has ever mentioned publicly that any part of the ring road would open before any other section.
The schedules have been publicly available since 2016 just like they have been for the last 4 Stoney/Henday legs; interesting that they made a news article out of their own inability to read. It's literally on the first page.

...the Province has selected the Contractor to design, build and finance, and for a 31 year term commencing on the earlier of traffic availability of the applicable leg or October 1, 2020, to operate, maintain and rehabilitate, a portion of the southwest leg of the ring road in the City of Calgary and has selected the Contractor to design, build and finance, and for a 30 year term commencing on the earlier of traffic availability of the applicable leg or October 1, 2021, to operate, maintain and rehabilitate, the remaining portion of the southwest leg of the ring road in the City of Calgary.

Last edited by Acey; 05-22-2020 at 07:03 AM.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 07:30 AM   #3211
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
The contract they signed was for October 1, 2020... so how is an October 1, 2020 opening way ahead of what people thought? I have no idea what's going on right now. The ghetto map I made for the Wikipedia article remains correct.

Wait, what is this trash in the CBC article?

The schedules have been publicly available since 2016 just like they have been for the last 4 Stoney/Henday legs; interesting that they made a news article out of their own inability to read. It's literally on the first page.

...the Province has selected the Contractor to design, build and finance, and for a 31 year term commencing on the earlier of traffic availability of the applicable leg or October 1, 2020, to operate, maintain and rehabilitate, a portion of the southwest leg of the ring road in the City of Calgary and has selected the Contractor to design, build and finance, and for a 30 year term commencing on the earlier of traffic availability of the applicable leg or October 1, 2021, to operate, maintain and rehabilitate, the remaining portion of the southwest leg of the ring road in the City of Calgary.
Don't shoot the messenger! It says in the article that it's ahead of what people thought, from virtually every person quoted.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:54 AM   #3212
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's dismaying to learn how many officials don't actually read the reports for these sorts of projects.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #3213
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I grew up in Oakridge and Bayview and spent a tonne of time on those bike paths and the weaselhead. On the weekend I came back to my parents house to bike with them west through South Glenmore and then south on the fish creek-Glenmore connector and holy crap, that area looks completely different. It's amazing. The 90th ave connector used to be a crappy dirt road to nowhere that was used for horse transportation and it's a fully formed road right now. The southland connector is done too, that used to be a weird ditch that everyone from school blazed in. I had always thought the people who lived on oakmount dr, which is a road facing directly west to the Tsuu Tiina, were going to get absolutely ####ed over by this road but it's actually not even visible. Further south there were some spots on the western edges of Cedarbrae and Woodbine that do have a raw deal but overall there's not a lot of impact sight-line wise. To me this has massively raised the value of these neighborhoods, I never wanted to buy a house back there because it felt sooo isolated being right up against the reserve to the west and having to truck back east 30 blocks just to get anywhere. I was always jealous of buddies that lived in Lakeview that could hop on Glenmore or Crowchild and get basically anywhere in the city much faster than I could. Now though this makes getting out of the city and to the airport so much easier.

It boggles my mind that people in the SW were against this for so long. The concept of being able to go from oakridge to westhills in like 5 minutes instead of 25 is incredible. Can't wait to drive this thing just for the fun of it when it opens early.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 01:27 PM   #3214
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I grew up in Oakridge and Bayview and spent a tonne of time on those bike paths and the weaselhead. On the weekend I came back to my parents house to bike with them west through South Glenmore and then south on the fish creek-Glenmore connector and holy crap, that area looks completely different. It's amazing. The 90th ave connector used to be a crappy dirt road to nowhere that was used for horse transportation and it's a fully formed road right now. The southland connector is done too, that used to be a weird ditch that everyone from school blazed in. I had always thought the people who lived on oakmount dr, which is a road facing directly west to the Tsuu Tiina, were going to get absolutely ####ed over by this road but it's actually not even visible. Further south there were some spots on the western edges of Cedarbrae and Woodbine that do have a raw deal but overall there's not a lot of impact sight-line wise. To me this has massively raised the value of these neighborhoods, I never wanted to buy a house back there because it felt sooo isolated being right up against the reserve to the west and having to truck back east 30 blocks just to get anywhere. I was always jealous of buddies that lived in Lakeview that could hop on Glenmore or Crowchild and get basically anywhere in the city much faster than I could. Now though this makes getting out of the city and to the airport so much easier.

It boggles my mind that people in the SW were against this for so long. The concept of being able to go from oakridge to westhills in like 5 minutes instead of 25 is incredible. Can't wait to drive this thing just for the fun of it when it opens early.
Funny, my wife hates Lakeview for the same reasons, any issues with that corner and its hard to get out.

I'm looking forward forward to this too. I live near Woodbine and I do a lot of work in the Signal Hill area. This will be much better.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #3215
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I live in the area (and grew up here too), and I agree that for the most part the road will not be disruptive to the area and will be a big improvement. And it's funny but the thing people in this neighbourhood are most excited about isn't the road itself, it's the new Costco opening on the Tsuu Tina.

I don't recall there being much opposition to the road road at the planning stage. Most of the concern was over the Weaselhead (which has been borne out - with an 8-lane causeway overhead, the natural area doesn't feel especially natural anymore).

The complaints I've heard around here were over the construction, and how they did the ring road, BRT, and a couple other projects all at once. You know how much of a pain in the ass it was to get out of the area before? Imagine how much more of pain in the ass it was with Southland, 90th, Anderson, and 14st street all reduced to 1/2 or 2/3 lanes simultaneously every day for the better part of two years.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #3216
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Imagine how much more of pain in the ass it was with Southland, 90th, Anderson, and 14st street all reduced to 1/2 or 2/3 lanes simultaneously every day for the better part of two years.
As we're seeing from the politican's comments about the road opening "early", people have short-term memories. They'll forget any issues getting around during construction pretty quickly once it opens up.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #3217
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Don't shoot the messenger! It says in the article that it's ahead of what people thought, from virtually every person quoted.
I didn't mean to come after you for it, and I realize that 99.9% don't know the lengths of the bridges and write Wikipedia articles about roads like I do... but the "Yet no one in the Alberta government has ever mentioned publicly that any part of the ring road would open before any other section." is still absolutely insane to me, they're talking as if AB Trans was somehow concealing their timeline.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #3218
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I live in the area (and grew up here too), and I agree that for the most part the road will not be disruptive to the area and will be a big improvement. And it's funny but the thing people in this neighbourhood are most excited about isn't the road itself, it's the new Costco opening on the Tsuu Tina.

I don't recall there being much opposition to the road road at the planning stage. Most of the concern was over the Weaselhead (which has been borne out - with an 8-lane causeway overhead, the natural area doesn't feel especially natural anymore).

The complaints I've heard around here were over the construction, and how they did the ring road, BRT, and a couple other projects all at once. You know how much of a pain in the ass it was to get out of the area before? Imagine how much more of pain in the ass it was with Southland, 90th, Anderson, and 14st street all reduced to 1/2 or 2/3 lanes simultaneously every day for the better part of two years.
Well the BRT still irritates me. I guess it’s “done” and I’m sure it was on time and on budget, but that’s been ridiculous. It’s six months late as far as I can tell and they’re still closing lanes and have a lot of work to do there. With Covid, they (city/province) should be going 24/7 on these things at this point. Construction workers are able to work, people are desperate for work and they can work in daylight for a long time at this point in the year.

Anyway, this isn’t the thread for that discussion. But the coordination of these separate projects left a little to be desired last summer. Having every road closed at once was not pleasant.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #3219
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

14 Street BRT may go down as one of the dumbest things the City has done recently.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #3220
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
14 Street BRT may go down as one of the dumbest things the City has done recently.
Do you drive a Mercedes-Benz, by chance?
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post: