Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-21-2020, 12:57 PM   #1
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Let’s talk TV’s

Since I couldn’t find a post dedicated to televisions I figured we should have one because I’m sure like me there are others in CP land that could use some help/advice.

I have a Samsung UN60JU6390F essential a 4 year old Samsung 6 series. I’m having brutal issues with black pixelation on it. It happens no matter if it’s off the Telus 4K box or steaming on Netflix or Prime. I have tied different picture/display settings and multiple HDMI cords and it’s still an issue.

Any other possible suggestions that it may be ?

Now, if it’s just the way the TV is the wife has given me the go ahead to buy a new 60”-65” tv with a budget of $1000-$1500. Anyone have any suggestions or experiences with anything that size ? It’s going to be in a room with a huge window directly across from it so something that performs well in a bright room is a must. Any help would be much appreciated.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #2
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was this one that may be of some help.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=7382623
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...ished/14283142

Probably the only way to get that under 1500.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #4
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^^^
Wow, yep. I was going to post some suggestions, but if you're okay with the refurb I'd absolutely grab that Vizio P series. I grabbed an open box TV from best buy and the guy threw in the 4 year warranty for $100, so it was basically like buying a new TV.

I'd buy at least a year just in case there's something the geek squad missed while testing and reissuing. I believe you also have 30 days to return as well.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would note that that particular unit is sold by TVOutlet, and I don't know what their relationship with Best Buy actually is. So there's some risk taken on there. You might be better off buying direct from their own website as you save $100 that way:

https://www.tvoutlet.ca/products/viz...art-tv-px65-g1

... But I don't actually know if Best Buy adds any protection on the sale for being the go-between.

EDIT: On the lower end of the price range, buying this and tacking on the 5 year warranty for $137 would be pretty solid, although I am not sure what their warranty terms are...

https://www.tvoutlet.ca/collections/...mart-tv-m706-g
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 06-21-2020 at 04:03 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
jayswin

Exp:

When I added the protection on my open box the guy said you can add it to anything sold through their website ( I was also looking at a refurbed TCL), including refurbs through connected third party.

Problem is, sometimes Best Buy staff knowledge about their products and services is around the same level as "tweeker outside Tim Hortons". My gut tells me they wouldn't warranty third party, but honestly they make so much money off those warranties, it wouldn't surprise me either.

Last edited by jayswin; 06-21-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:38 PM   #7
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vizio Vizio Vizio. Or tcl.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 08:42 PM   #8
jayswin

Exp:

I went with the TCL 75" 6 series and couldn't be happier. I could see the quality upgrade in other models, but there's no way to get them for under $2000 for a 75". I would highly recommend the TCL 6 series if you'd like to go up to 75" (and for all the "it'll be too big" criticism I heard, you get used to it really quick and then after a month you can't believe you had anything smaller).

It's an incredible model for the price, which is exactly what TCL set out to do. They wanted to undercut the market to build market share, that is something you should take advantage of unless money isn't an object. The blacks levels are excellent.

Last edited by jayswin; 06-21-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:54 PM   #9
jayswin

Exp:

But here's the thing, if you don't want to go to a 75", then I would actually steer towards the Sony 900F. This TV is beautiful in the sub $2k range, and was actually displayed right beside the TCL 6 series. The sony had a visibly better colour and brightness display, it just popped a lot more, and there was some slight "flicker" in the buildings on the TCL that was seamless on the Sony. It is absolutely a better TV and no one should question that. But...

TCL 6 series 65" - $829
TCL 6 series 75" - $1499
Sony 900F 65" - $1499

It's a tough call and to be honest if I had a do over I'd pony up and grab the Sony 900F 75" at $2800 (It's now $2500), but the TCL is clearly one of the best bang for the buck TV's available if budget is a concern, and in that respect I'm very happy with the 6 series 75".

Last edited by jayswin; 06-21-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:01 PM   #10
jayswin

Exp:

Now if you're set on 65" then cost should be a major factor as the 65" TCL is $829 vs $1499 for the Sony, this is incredibly significant. And to be honest it's pretty dumb that Sony is already into the new model (950G) at $1899 and has had no reduction in price on the 900f while the TCL has come down.

For reference I was offered the 65" Sony 900F at $1300 at visions in November when it was at $1499, while the TCL 75" was at $1899. The TCL 75" is now $1499.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:05 PM   #11
jayswin

Exp:

I'm just crapping all over the thread with info now and I apologize, but my final bit of advice is Best By DOES barter, remember this. I ended up with the open box but they were willing to go down on multiple new TV's at multiple locations during my shopping.

Basically $100-$200 off a $1300+ TV is not an issue, so when you decide on your TV don't be afraid to bug a couple locations until you get something off. You really should be able to get that Sony 900f for $1200-$1300 at this point and if you do that is a clear cut winner for me for your budget and size.

Last edited by jayswin; 06-21-2020 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:14 PM   #12
jayswin

Exp:

https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cat...Text=sony%20tv

The Sony 900f is actually $1350 at visions (on sale, but that's likely more of a permanent sale is it's last years model). Honestly, if you're set on 65", go down to a visions, say you'll walk out with it for $1200 and you'll likely get it and that will be an excellent TV that you'll absolutely love.

This is the video I first watched that directly compares the two, btw. Great info and comparison here.

Last edited by jayswin; 06-21-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:20 PM   #13
jayswin

Exp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yZkEn-VDls&t=388s youtube imbedding isn't working, here's the link. It's actually the 950G but by all accounts the 900f and 950G are pretty similar in performance.

Last edited by jayswin; 06-21-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:29 PM   #14
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for all the info everyone. I have a 55” Vizio in my basement I use doe gaming that is about 10 years old and I swear it’s quality still holds up amazingly well. I would defiantly get another one. For some reason I can’t help but think of TCL as a lesser model of a TV even though I know they make a great product. It’s just engrained in my head that Samsung/LG/Sony are the way to go. So it’s great to hear feedback on the TCL. If the boarder ever opens back up and I can head to my place in Montana I know you can catch the Vizio P series for a steal down there at times.

I haven’t really done much TV buying at Best Buy but have had great experiences at Visions in the past. But maybe I’ll try them out.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:34 PM   #15
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I went with the TCL 75" 6 series and couldn't be happier. I could see the quality upgrade in other models, but there's no way to get them for under $2000 for a 75". I would highly recommend the TCL 6 series if you'd like to go up to 75" (and for all the "it'll be too big" criticism I heard, you get used to it really quick and then after a month you can't believe you had anything smaller).

It's an incredible model for the price, which is exactly what TCL set out to do. They wanted to undercut the market to build market share, that is something you should take advantage of unless money isn't an object. The blacks levels are excellent.
Yeah the TCL 6 series TVs are phenomenal. I have a 65" and it's terrific.

4 series... not so much. But 6 series is tremendous.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:42 PM   #16
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I ended up getting a 65” Vizio P series. I actually found one at Openbox which is a great store if you haven’t been. Got it on clearance for $749 which was an absolute steal. I was stuck between the Vizio and a Sony XBR65X850G that they had for $899. They were awesome enough to mount them side by side and give me both remotes to play with the TV’s for 20 minutes and see which I preferred.

Got it hung on the wall and just finished watching the an episode of F1 Drive to Survive and am happy as can be.

Last edited by Gundo; 07-03-2020 at 01:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 07:32 AM   #17
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a useful thread thank you

we have an 11 year old first generation LED Samsung, which has been brilliant.
Recently (the last 2 years) it has started to show it's age, but it is nothing a smack in the back doesn't fix.

I need a new TV.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 08:30 AM   #18
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Vizio announced some new TVs a few days ago with HDMI 2.1. They've got an 85" that sounds pretty decent. We've had a Sharp 80" for about 6-7 years now and we're looking to upgrade to something in that range with 4K and it looks like it fits the bill. Or the Sony 900H which seems to be getting good feedback.

Future Use of TV:
- Xbox Series X
- PS5
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:59 PM   #19
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Any comments about Hisense TVs?

Looking at this TV for outside under a covered deck area:
https://www.visions.ca/product-detai...=525&sku=55Q8G
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote