Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #221
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Speaking of tourists, could they have carjacked and disappeared some tourists and they just haven’t been reported missing yet. Fits their m/o
Seems unlikely to me, as they would have had to jack at a road, and drag bodies into the bush. I've never dragged a body, but if I had to, I know it wouldn't be all that far. Considering that the police were heavily focused on the area near the burnt out car, I would assume that they checked the "body dragging distance" from the road.

But you could be right. Crazier things have happened.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:14 AM   #222
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been very curious what the river is like in the area - this video seems to show Gillam to York Factory as a big ass lake (capable of ocean-like waves)

This one has been posted a few times on reddit (and apparently on RCMP facebook page, presumably by a random person, but it's a few hundred km further inland

Obviously the river is massive wherever it is, but I'm having trouble imagining how a boat incurs that kind of damage (of course, I'm not very nautically inclined and don't actually know anything about the Gillam area)...hydro station, a big tree falling on it, or getting crunched while towed behind a vehicle all seem more likely to me than anything in 'normal' on-water use.

It's been commonly referred to as a 'rowboat' - while I'm sure you could call just about anything a 'rowboat' in a calm pond, I can't imagine anyone using it without a motor on the Nelson River (desperate fugitives excepted).
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:40 AM   #223
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I've been very curious what the river is like in the area - this video seems to show Gillam to York Factory as a big ass lake (capable of ocean-like waves)

This one has been posted a few times on reddit (and apparently on RCMP facebook page, presumably by a random person, but it's a few hundred km further inland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C9CA0OV8ls

[snipped]

/fixed. If you're using the Youtube BB tags, only use the portion of the URL that's after the equal sign

Edit: the second video can't be embedded for whatever reason

Last edited by boogerz; 08-05-2019 at 02:44 AM.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #224
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Question for Azure and Browna:

What's the agenda behind this tip or any other of the other 100's of false tips received by the RCMP?

I'm shocked by your assertions that the Bear Clan Patrol claims are false and are based on an agenda to raise money and the profile of the organisation.

There is no real evidence of this and you two post this stuff as if there were facts, not only speculation.

Why are only the indigenous group's motivation being questioned?

Why is no one questioning the original posters for asserting "the Indians are just after money". Incredible.

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
There were interviews given by RCMP on site in York Landing that said they found no trace of anyone having been near the landfill as per the tip. That means the tip wasn't true. I don't know if you've ever had any experience with a search effort, but I have, and I've spoken with members of the Winnipeg S&R Team. There was no in hell those guys were there and nobody found a trace.

For some reason people seem to believe that these guys just 'slipped through the cracks', or the RCMP is incompetent, which is a load of crap. The S&R teams specialize in finding a needle in a haystack, and a sighting like that, with such a quick response time (30 min) is more than they usually get. There is a reason the RCMP literally loaded up the helicopters and flew straight to York Landing with an advance search team.

Not that hard to believe that certain people of an organization that is trying to raise funds would use a high profile event like that to gain recognition and public support. Sad, but that is the world we live in.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #225
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Presumably the RCMP have already been up and down every nearby riverbank/shoreline, so it’s likely a recent event of that boat finding that exact location. Of course, if it was the first time RCMP searched that spot, the odds go down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There might also be DNA evidence on the boat which I assume they could tie back to the killers. Not sure how fast the RCMP could turn around a test to check though in that environment.

Wasn't there a high profile prison break in New York where the police used DNA to track the escapee?
Old 08-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #226
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
/fixed. If you're using the Youtube BB tags, only use the portion of the URL that's after the equal sign

Edit: the second video can't be embedded for whatever reason
Is there a direct link to the second video? I can't find it on Youtube.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #227
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is an option in between the guys were in York Landing and the patrol made up the story to get money. Someone thought they saw something but was mistaken.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #228
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Any lawyer/police officer will tell you, people are ####ty eye-witnesses, regardless of colour, religion, sex, gender or any other difference (real, or imagined).

I don't think there was anything nefarious in the accounts. Maybe they were there, maybe someone saw Sasquatch and mistook him for the two fugitives. Who the hell knows.

Everyone insinuating that the stories were deliberately false might want to take a look in the mirror to see what makes you feel that way. You might not like the answer.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #229
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
Any lawyer/police officer will tell you, people are ####ty eye-witnesses, regardless of colour, religion, sex, gender or any other difference (real, or imagined).

I don't think there was anything nefarious in the accounts. Maybe they were there, maybe someone saw Sasquatch and mistook him for the two fugitives. Who the hell knows.

Everyone insinuating that the stories were deliberately false might want to take a look in the mirror to see what makes you feel that way. You might not like the answer.
Has nothing to do with that and I'm getting tired of the racist implications being leveled towards people who question the validity of the tip after considering the outcome.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #230
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
There were interviews given by RCMP on site in York Landing that said they found no trace of anyone having been near the landfill as per the tip. That means the tip wasn't true.
The RCMP haven't found them yet at all...does that mean they don't exist, either?

There are many, many elements of this whole saga that don't make a ton of sense. The dump tip is just one more. It takes an awful lot of hubris to make a definitive claim on it's validity from so far away. The only obvious fact right now seems to be that nobody has any idea where they are right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Is there a direct link to the second video? I can't find it on Youtube.
Search 'Nelson River Dream Wave' - it looks almost as good as the 10th street wave here in Calgary

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...-out-1.5236600

That was fast - guessing someone came forward and claimed ownership of the boat (including it's resting place)? Can't imagine they wouldn't continue searching downriver if they thought there was any potential...
Old 08-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #231
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Cripes, I could see either senario being true in this weird arse story. No point in arguing over this at all.
stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:03 PM   #232
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

One of the two actual reporters on the ground in Gilliam is saying that the RCMP is not releasing information in regards to the search in the Nelson River, so I'm not sure why everyone is saying they never got anywhere.

They had a roadblock setup as well but declined to comment as to why.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #233
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Obviously the river is massive wherever it is, but I'm having trouble imagining how a boat incurs that kind of damage (of course, I'm not very nautically inclined and don't actually know anything about the Gillam area)...hydro station, a big tree falling on it, or getting crunched while towed behind a vehicle all seem more likely to me than anything in 'normal' on-water use.

It's been commonly referred to as a 'rowboat' - while I'm sure you could call just about anything a 'rowboat' in a calm pond, I can't imagine anyone using it without a motor on the Nelson River (desperate fugitives excepted).
That first video actually shows the mouth of the Nelson where it meets Hudson Bay, 150km past gillam. It's a big estuary at that point. York landing, where they received the landfill tip, is not to be confused with York factory, an old HBC trading post on the coast of Hudson Bay. The rusted out boat in the video is an abandoned dredge vessel, in the 1910s and 20s the government attempted to build a port at the mouth of the Nelson so the prairie provinces could have ocean access, known as Port Nelson. Unfortunately the orientation of the mouth of the river along with its massive sediment load made Port Nelson a lousy site for a port, it was only chosen over Churchill which has a far superior port arrangement because it was further south and necessitated a shorter rail line connection. The government tried to overcome this by constructing a man made island in the Nelson estuary and building a long train bridge to join the island to the mainland, in addition to contracting out that old dredge vessel to create navigation channels. In the end though the challenges were to severe, Port Nelson was abandoned along with all the infrastructure that had been built in what was one of the biggest boondoggles in Canadian history. The rail line was built to Churchill and now that town is Canada's only Hudson Bay port. You can still see the rail bridge and dredge in google maps or other videos on youtube with the port Nelson tag.

Last edited by DiracSpike; 08-05-2019 at 05:18 PM.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #234
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am from Manitoba and have forgotten my grade 8 social studies as I was surprised to see how many generating stations are on the river and how fast it flowed
Old 08-05-2019, 11:42 PM   #235
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just came across the idea that the boat damage could have come from ice...which makes a ton of sense
Old 08-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #236
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chances are these guys hitchhiked out of the area days ago.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #237
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I live in Fort Nelson and on our rants page on Facebook it was reported there was a car with Manitoba plates that was ditched just north of Wonowon a couple days ago.( it was abandoned)
Red Potato Standing By is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:20 AM   #238
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethrynn View Post
I live in Fort Nelson and on our rants page on Facebook it was reported there was a car with Manitoba plates that was ditched just north of Wonowon a couple days ago.( it was abandoned)
The reliable rants from the Fort Nelson Facebook page.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 10:23 AM   #239
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Meh it had pictures, but regardless it is just coincidence but had people talking.
Red Potato Standing By is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #240
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So they found a random damaged boat and assumed it was these guys?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote