Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-31-2020, 07:32 AM   #221
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is these super secret Romulans created the Borg, and are now hell bent on not having that mistake repeated, so want to make sure no advanced robots ever exist.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 08:33 AM   #222
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I like your prediction Locke but I want to change it slightly

Spoiler!

That was my first thought too,
Spoiler!
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:42 AM   #223
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked that Picard and Starfleet parted ways on bad terms, but really, considering the number of times he hauled their asses out of the fire and saved the Federation he should have his own custom head and ball polisher with a dedicated memorial plaque in the Lobby and the doofus at reception should know who he is.

Did you even graduate from the Academy? At least the Academy of Intergalactic Receptionists?

He was just on Galactic TV! They mentioned it like 3 times! You couldnt have missed it!

Either way, Rando bureaucrat Desk Admiral needs to check herself. When the Borg return to assimilate everyone I hope Picard shrugs his shoulders and stands back to watch...."Better to rule in Hell..."

And the Borg can probably cure his space dementia.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 08:52 AM   #224
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I liked the Picard glare at the receptionist, it just made me chuckle.

That Admiral, was just over the top angry, While the scene was meant to illustrate how far Picard had fallen in the eyes of the command structure of Star Fleet, this would be equivalent to telling Audie Murphy to go F himself if he had shown up and wanted to fight in the Korean War.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:14 AM   #225
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, it sure seems like transporter use isn't limited, with that pathway people particulator.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:30 AM   #226
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was wondering if Picard's Irumodic Syndrome from All Good Things was going to factor in- looks like it will and may once again prevent others from believing what he is seeing and investigating.

The future timeline from All Good Things was 25 years in the future, and I believe this series takes place 29 years after All Good Things? Either way, Picard looks way better and certainly more mobile than what was envisioned in All Good Things.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 01-31-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:36 AM   #227
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That Admiral, was just over the top angry, While the scene was meant to illustrate how far Picard had fallen in the eyes of the command structure of Star Fleet, this would be equivalent to telling Audie Murphy to go F himself if he had shown up and wanted to fight in the Korean War.
I dunno about that analogy, did Audie Murphy rise to the rank of General, only to have a messy, public dispute with the government over international policy, eventually quitting the army over it? and then come back a decade later requesting a platoon so he could go on what sounds like a wild ass conspiracy goose chase?

Picard mentions that he and Clancy have butted heads in the past, so there's already a personal history there. it's frosty as hell the moment he walks in, and she's not impressed with his latest TV appearance, so emotions are already...engaged.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 09:38 AM   #228
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Im not sure I like the series so far but the wife does and if I can watch Star Trek with someone who sleeps with me I am ok with that
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 09:49 AM   #229
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
I was wondering if Picard's Irumodic Syndrome from All Good Things was going to factor in- looks like it will and may once again prevent others from believing what he is seeing and investigating.

The future timeline from All Good Things was 25 years in the future, and I believe this series takes place 29 years after All Good Things? Either way, Picard looks way better and certainly more mobile than what was envisioned in All Good Things.

I got the sense that he doesn't have long to go and that its a miserable way to go.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:59 AM   #230
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I got the sense that he doesn't have long to go and that its a miserable way to go.
I don't think it was ever cleared up until now if this disorder from All Good Things was just part of Q's messing around with Picard and the alternate reality/timelines he created. The entire final episode unfortunately became one of those never actually happened things (episode basically ends where it started, before the Crusher diagnosis), so I don't believe it was known if this was something in Picard's actual future. The movies never touched on it I don't believe. Guess we now know.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:14 AM   #231
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
My guess is these super secret Romulans created the Borg, and are now hell bent on not having that mistake repeated, so want to make sure no advanced robots ever exist.

I still think the Borg was somehow the result of V’ger from Star Trek:TMP.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 10:21 AM   #232
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That was a Shatner book, I don't know if Star Trek books are looked at as true Canon like the Star Wars new EU. Maybe someone can correct me on it.

There has never been a strong discussion around the Borg origins, and I've seen everything from V-ger, to a ancient species that advanced their technology to the point of sentience and agreed to merge with it. It'd be interesting to see a TV series that takes place back then.

What if you could live a life of perfect contentment, no disease, no death, the ability to control every aspect of the species environment. No war, and everyone benefits.

It would be hard for a species to say no to that, but at the same time, the technology side has no emotional decision making and over powers them and decides that the whole galaxy would benefit from this type of merger.

Or maybe they assimilate the wrong person or people with an overwhelming will, and a malignant personality which becomes the Queen.

I never thought that the Borg were particularly malignant or cruel or even evil. They are basically trying to apply a extreme solution to a chaotic galaxy.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:29 AM   #233
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
timeline doesn't add up though, Borg are confirmed to have started assimilating species in the 15th century, while we were too busy stabbing each other with chunks of metal to build space probes.

Quote:
I never thought that the Borg were particularly malignant or cruel or even evil. They are basically trying to apply a extreme solution to a chaotic galaxy.
you have this same attitude towards Palpatine's empire. I don't trust anyone who's been seduced by the dark side so thoroughly.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 12:15 PM   #234
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn’t know Shatner wrote a book about it, but Vger does seem to be a reasonable starting point and would make for an interesting origin, especially as one that comes back to bite man in the arse.

I suppose if there was Borg sitings in the early 16 venture that would dispel that theory, but what is the reference for that date? Was it tied to an episode?

I suppose there could be some answers. Really interested in Hugh’s appearance.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:39 PM   #235
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Btw, little easter egg- Picard's final scene in episode 2 where he meets up with whomever for wine and reminiscing was clearly filmed at same location as "Arena" from TOS.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 01:12 PM   #236
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Guinan talked about the Borg being hundred's of thousand years old. Another character had talked about the Borg being around when he was put in suspended animation a 1000 years ago (1484), and that the Borg were a minor irritation at the time but was amazed at the changes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 05:18 PM   #237
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is Star Trek, not Masterpiece Theatre.
The amount of time they spent looking at the communication records of Dahj was ridiculous. Somebody deleted the index and now all the records look the same. What? Some more painful writing and then the dramatic reveal when she found the outgoing and incoming messages. Riveting...

What is with the British Romulan? Weird choice to keep the accent.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:22 PM   #238
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hahahaha "this facility has gone xxxxx days without an assimilation"

made me chuckle
ripTDR is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ripTDR For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 05:29 PM   #239
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

And it was at like 5800 days or something. That cube has been there for a while.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:44 PM   #240
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
What is with the British Romulan? Weird choice to keep the accent.
I was wondering the same thing last week but read an article that gave a reasonable theory; the Romulans learned English from an accented teacher.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote