Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #81
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
The superhero tentpole launched to $350 million in North America and $859 million overseas for a stunning global bow of $1.2 billion.
Quote:
Infinity War, which took 11 days to hit $1 billion, versus five for Endgame, topped out at $2.04 billion globally. The guessing game has already begun as to whether Endgame can climb north of $2.5 billion and match or topple Avatar, the top-grossing film of all time with $2.78 billion, not adjusted for inflation.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...friday-1205348
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #82
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’d like to read an explanation of how Cap’s other life worked when he went back. I haven’t read anything yet that explains it within the rules of timetravel that they laid out.

The way I understand it is that cap had his life with Peggy in the prime timeline, and that's how it always was. We know Peggy got married, but we never saw the husband, and even in the 70's she only had a picture of Steve on her desk. So she was always married to Steve, and thus there's no timeline split
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:20 PM   #83
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The way I understand it is that cap had his life with Peggy in the prime timeline, and that's how it always was. We know Peggy got married, but we never saw the husband, and even in the 70's she only had a picture of Steve on her desk. So she was always married to Steve, and thus there's no timeline split
Hmm. That makes the flirting between him and Sharon Carter in Winter Soldier and Civil War creepy but ok.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #84
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only issue with this is Steve Rogers didn’t try to intervene in the universe at any point in time. Given that that is his present he by the rules of the show can affect his future. So do we believe that Captain America would stand by and let Hydra take over Shield. Or that he somehow didn’t go to any work event and get recognized as Steve Rogers?.

Even when he goes back to replace the stones they can’t undo things like Loki taking off with the space stone so the timeline has to split but per the ancient ones the infinity stones make sure that reality stays on one path.

So I think a timeline split where Steve lives a different timeline of events and then jumps back at the end makes more sense than the infinity stones preserving the timelines and Captain America not intervening in the 70 years.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #85
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yes. Because he knew in the end it all works out, as he went back in time after ALL of the events of the first 22 movies takes place. Steve would have been content standing by as he knew the only way to change things WOULD be to interfere and cause a timeline split.

Just as Strange knew that giving the stone to Thanos would lead them to Starks last stand and finger snap. It wouldn't be easy, but it would be the right thing to do. And Rogers was all about doing the right thing.

I think anyway, if I've got that right lol. Time travel always throws an extra loop into things.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:14 PM   #86
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Ya, Steve isn't interferring because for one, he's old as balls by the time Winter Soldier happens, and two he knows everything works out in the end and any inteference from him just creates more timeline splits. And he knows how to stay hidden after Hydra took over Shield, so laying low living a quiet life with Peggy seems exactly what he would do
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:14 PM   #87
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Watching the end of the story arc enticed me to go back to watch iron man (was snowed in anyway). What a great little film that was to kick it all off. You could tell they had something, a new tone and standard for comic book films that they could carry forward. RDJs charismatic performance elevated it from just another comic book adaptation to be forgotten, to a solid foundation for a future universe.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:27 PM   #88
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Yes. Because he knew in the end it all works out, as he went back in time after ALL of the events of the first 22 movies takes place. Steve would have been content standing by as he knew the only way to change things WOULD be to interfere and cause a timeline split.

Just as Strange knew that giving the stone to Thanos would lead them to Starks last stand and finger snap. It wouldn't be easy, but it would be the right thing to do. And Rogers was all about doing the right thing.

I think anyway, if I've got that right lol. Time travel always throws an extra loop into things.
Quote:
Ya, Steve isn't interferring because for one, he's old as balls by the time Winter Soldier happens, and two he knows everything works out in the end and any inteference from him just creates more timeline splits. And he knows how to stay hidden after Hydra took over Shield, so laying low living a quiet life with Peggy seems exactly what he would do
An alternative is Cap only stayed around with Peggy until his younger self woke up and then went back to the future. I remember professor hulk saying something about Cap blowing past his time or something. Cap could have just went forward in time, gotten off the platform, and went to the bench and had a seat waiting for someone to noticed he was there.

He doesn't have to interfere with anything in the other MCU movies or be tempted to do so since he wasn't physically present.

I'm more confused with how he returned the soul stone to the Red Skull on Vormir... Long time no see... lol
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 02:55 PM   #89
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #90
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

This film almost begs for a second viewing. Just got back from the theatre for a second time and it felt so much more rewarding this time around. I even got emotional at Tony's death and funeral.

Of course, it also hit me that this is the end. They will continue with the MCU, but we will never get an experience like this with these characters ever again. Deflating.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #91
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Everything works out for who? Plenty of people die as a result of his inaction. Captain was never Utilitarian, he has always been an each individual action shall be moral. There is no way he allows Bucky to be taken by Hydra given the events of civil war. A quick phone call to Nick Fury letting him know who the Hydra agents are would also be pretty useful.

Beyond that based on Hulk saying that you can’t kill Baby Thanos to change the future eliminates any looper/back to the future style changes where going back in time fulfills what occurred in the original timeline. Things like the picture of of Steve on Peggy’s desk or the lack of a picture of her husband when she died. Peggy’s husband in the Prime timeline can’t be Steve because that depends on him going back in time in the future. If that were the case than Loki’s escape with the space stone would have also have to have happened and we know that didn’t.

In the end it’s a nice send off for Cap sending him back to live the life with Peggy even though it doesn’t really fit with the rules of time travel established by the show.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 03:46 PM   #92
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was never into superhero comic books as a kid. Still aren't actually. The only comics I read were Archie comics and Transformers. I had the odd Spiderman or Fantastic 4 that people gave me but was never interested enough to collect them.

I knew who the X-men were from their cartoon, but never really watched it, again only focusing really on Transformers. I knew who the Hulk was because of the Lou Ferrigno show, but I can't say I was ever clamoring to watch it.

When Sam Raimi's Spiderman came out, of course I knew who Spiderman was, and I watched them, and enjoyed them, (even part of the third one). But I didn't even see them in the theaters.

The MCU - well, it wasn't an MCU, it was basically Iron Man. I knew who Iron Man was, but only vaguely. Same with Thor and Captain America. In fact, when the first Thor came out, I wasn't even interested in watching it, which is surprising considering my interest in mythology and ancient gods, and only did watch when it became clear that everything was connected.

But I loved Iron Man, and loved Captain America, and even Thor when I finally got around to watching it. So I've seen all the MCU movies, but have no idea other than in broad generalities of which comic book story lines they've been following or adapting from. So I have no ties as to how things "should be done" or how they were done, not like in Game of Thrones or the Hobbit.

So maybe my opinion doesn't count as much as die hard fans. But I loved Endgame. And even though it wasn't a perfect movie, it couldn't be. You can't wrap up that many years and that many stories in a perfect bow. You can't please everyone.

That doesn't mean that people who did't like it, shouldn't feel free to explain why, or what parts fell flat. But realize that this was the culmination of an extraordinary vision, and that even if Marvel tries this again with another phase, it will never be the same.

It will never be the same. This was the first, and it set an extremely high standard that may never be matched. Not all the movies were perfect, not all were even good, but they all worked toward the same thing.

I really have no other words for it than extraordinary. So while they were parts of Endgame I didn't love, it was the experience as a whole that I did - and so those issues just don't matter to me. Not right now. Maybe never.

It wasn't a perfect film. But it was the perfect ending to something important. Just movies, just entertainment, but still important.

For me the best part is how people changed. And how Marvel showed that change. I've seen a lot of criticism over Thor and his fat PTSD being made fun of, but the fact that there was no magical fix for that is the takeaway. Heroes have flaws. Heroes make terrible choices and do terrible things. Heroes let you down.

And then they don't.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 07:25 PM   #93
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ my story is similar to the above post.

I saw endgame on Saturday night and at the end of it I was satisfied. There were a few people openly weeping in the theatre during tony starks funeral scene.

I also thought the final battle scene was just about the right length (in some movies I feel the scene is too long).
Old 04-28-2019, 07:26 PM   #94
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Well said, and people will always over analyze things and pick arm chair quarter back push their glasses up their nose 'TECHNICALLY' speaking type stuff. But at the end of the day this was an absolutely incredible feat. Hats off to Marvel and especially the Russo brothers for coming in and bringing this ship back to harbour safe and sound.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:29 PM   #95
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Watched it again last night. Didn't enjoy it nearly as much -- the pacing issues became a lot more obvious and Captain Marvel showing up at the end felt a lot more like a script-mandated deus ex machina. Still, it was good. Solid 7/10.

If I was to rank the MCU films I'd stick it right in the middle.

The excellent ones

Thor: Ragnarok
Iron Man
Avengers: Infinity War
Captain America: Civil War
The Avengers

The very good ones

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Doctor Strange
Avengers: Endgame
Captain America: The First Avenger
Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2

The average ones

Iron Man 3
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Black Panther
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Iron Man 2

The mediocre ones

Thor: The Dark World
Ant-Man
Thor
Captain Marvel
The Incredible Hulk

Last edited by TheScorpion; 04-28-2019 at 07:36 PM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 07:36 PM   #96
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ my story is similar to the above post.

I saw endgame on Saturday night and at the end of it I was satisfied. There were a few people openly weeping in the theatre during tony starks funeral scene.

I also thought the final battle scene was just about the right length (in some movies I feel the scene is too long).
Count me as one. I’m not even a fan I have only seen the original iron man and guardians of galaxy films as well as infinity war. I had tears during the scene. Maybe it is because I have daughters but I don’t normally get emotional over things but for some reason my eyes were leaking. I really enjoyed the movie. I had all the reasons in the world to fall asleep while watching since I was extremely hungover was in the fancy vip recliners yet it kept my attention for nearly all the 3 hours.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:56 PM   #97
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Captain America *whispers* hail Hydra

Wielding the hammer. Awesomeness.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:42 PM   #98
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I freaking loved it. Everything for me worked it was absolutely perfect. The end battle was incredible and seeing
Spoiler!
. This movie deserves all the money it's getting! I'm curious to see how phase 4 goes but it's got large large shoes to fill.
In regards to your spoiler, really? I found that so ridiculous it basically pulled me right out of the movie as my eyes rolled back in my head.

So contrived IMO.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rubicant For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 09:41 PM   #99
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

When they showed Cap on the bench at the end I was like “so when cap gets old he turns into Joe Biden?”
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 11:42 PM   #100
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
When they showed Cap on the bench at the end I was like “so when cap gets old he turns into Joe Biden?”
For a brief second I thought they had hired Clint Eastwood to play him.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post: