Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-03-2019, 07:48 AM   #121
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Godzilla with a rather pedestrian debut, actually beat by Aladdin on Saturday and Sunday.
I'm surprised by that, looked like a really fun summer movie, hopefully the China box office will save this one. Thankfully they are already in the middle of production for Godzilla vs Kong or else I would be worried this would be the end of the franchise.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:51 AM   #122
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I'm surprised by that, looked like a really fun summer movie, hopefully the China box office will save this one. Thankfully they are already in the middle of production for Godzilla vs Kong or else I would be worried this would be the end of the franchise.
Godzilla is definitely aimed a lot at the international audience. It even looks like a lot of Chinese Blockbusters. It made $179 million on a box office of $170. Word of mouth is descent though. I think I'll do just fine.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #123
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disney has decided to pull out the big guns. With Endgame trailing Avatar by only $45 million in the total worldwide grosses, it will be re-released next weekend with some additional footage.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ootage-1219665

Quote:
"Not an extended cut, but there will be a version going into theaters with a bit of a marketing push with a few new things at the end of the movie," Feige told ScreenRant. "If you stay and watch the movie, after the credits, there’ll be a deleted scene, a little tribute, and a few surprises."
Old 06-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #124
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those sneaky bastards...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #125
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Avengers End Game, now with a new hat!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #126
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

This feels like that episode of King of the Hill where the athlete wants to beat Bill's record, but gets injured first, so then they carry him across the line in a ceremonial play. Bill then goes back to high school to break the record again.

How does it work with these releases, isn't an extended cut technically a different product on a different real and, thereby, a different movie? If Avatar re-releases the film prior to the sequels does that count?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #127
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, re-releases count in the box office total. In fact, $33.2 million of Avatar's box office total was from its own extended cut re-release.

Back in 1997, Star Wars officially overtook ET and Jurassic Park as the highest-grossing film of all time after the release of the Special Edition, even though there were significant alterations from the original film.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #128
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair Avatar released initially in December 2009 and then August 2010. This "re-release" while still in theatres after only 9 weeks of release is crazy. Is it still a re-release when it never left?
Old 06-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #129
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

AWESOME!!

I wanted to see Endgame again but haven't been able too. Checked the other day and saw it wasn't playing anymore and was kind of bummed.

Thank you Disney, please take more of my money and time!
Old 06-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #130
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Disney thinks that I will pay 20 bucks so I can sit down to watch 15 minutes of commercials followed by 3 hours of a movie I've already seen, sit through 10 minutes of credits just so I can watch 5 minutes worth of new content that will be available on YouTube the next day, well they are right.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 09:16 PM   #131
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Avatar is up to 2.780 Billion. Just 8 billion behind Avatar. It looks like Disney will drag this across the finish line.

It looks like it still has re-releases is South Korea. It also still did 1.6 million Domestic and 1.1 million internationally for a total of 2.7 million world wide last weekend. So if it can get 30-40% drops from here on out it will push past Avatar in about 3 weeks.

I had figured it was done but that rerelease did just enough new business to get it back on track.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #132
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's available digitally on July 30 and on Blu-ray/DVD August 13. Drops are going to be way larger than 30-40% in two more weeks. It's going to be annoyingly close but I think it still falls just short unless Disney just buys a bunch of tickets or something.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:47 AM   #133
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like it was only rereleased for a very short period. I missed it and was disappointed.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #134
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
It's available digitally on July 30 and on Blu-ray/DVD August 13. Drops are going to be way larger than 30-40% in two more weeks. It's going to be annoyingly close but I think it still falls just short unless Disney just buys a bunch of tickets or something.
I think Disney Shenanigans will definatey be used. In the next two weeks it gets about 4 million of it. After that there will be double features with lion king or other movies or outright ticket buying.

Then it sets up the Avatar re-release before next Christmas to take back the record and set up Avatar 2.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #135
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been updated to 2.7812B. It's crazy when we start dealing with numbers this big to me because $7,000,000.00 difference seems like just so much money but right now it's 0.2% away from Avatar. It's a rounding error.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:18 PM   #136
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
It's been updated to 2.7812B. It's crazy when we start dealing with numbers this big to me because $7,000,000.00 difference seems like just so much money but right now it's 0.2% away from Avatar. It's a rounding error.
Also that it’s this close is crazy considering all of the differences between the two runs. Legs vs Front loading, foreign exchange, inflation, foreign market size, a trade war with China that cost Endgame an extension.

All of these things have made it so the final result will be within about a million dollars of each other. Just a crazy coincidence.

The other crazy run happening right now is Aladdin. It went from the Will Smith Genie is creepy to a slightly disappointing opening to huge legs. Already at 3.63x and still making money.

Last edited by GGG; 07-15-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:16 PM   #137
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Looks like it will be official tomorrow. Endgame has passed Avatar to be the highest worldwide grossing movie of all time.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #138
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

A crazy run for Endgame. Went from looking unlikely before the re-release to having crazy legs after the re-release.

Only a little bit of shenanigans with Disney hiding the international actuals the last two weeks so they could surprise people at Comic-con.

Disney now gets to re-release Avatar before Avatar 2 to take back the record (and take more of our money)
Old 07-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #139
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Avatar is re-released and no one watches it, was it re-released?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #140
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Also that it’s this close is crazy considering all of the differences between the two runs. Legs vs Front loading, foreign exchange, inflation, foreign market size, a trade war with China that cost Endgame an extension.

All of these things have made it so the final result will be within about a million dollars of each other. Just a crazy coincidence.

The other crazy run happening right now is Aladdin. It went from the Will Smith Genie is creepy to a slightly disappointing opening to huge legs. Already at 3.63x and still making money.
Think Aladdin was one where the marketing hurt the opening but then word of mouth gave it legs.

Saw it this weekend actually and thought it was great, easily one of the better Disney live action remakes.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote