Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2020, 07:42 AM   #381
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
An R rating for Birds of Prey may have been a mistake. That rating is going to cut into the teenage (and tween) girl audience where Harley has a lot of popularity.
I suspect WB will learn there lesson and change Suicide Squad 2 to PG13
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #382
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Birds of Prey now looking at a $30-35mil opening weekend domestically, well below even the most conservative estimates. Th R rating may have something to do with lower numbers, but I think the marketing for some of these female led action movies is the far larger problem that most people dont seem to want to talk about. Looks like another one bit the dust.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:05 PM   #383
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Birds of Prey now looking at a $30-35mil opening weekend domestically, well below even the most conservative estimates. Th R rating may have something to do with lower numbers, but I think the marketing for some of these female led action movies is the far larger problem that most people dont seem to want to talk about. Looks like another one bit the dust.
In what way? I cant remember another movie that wasnt Star Wars being rammed down my throat as much as this one. They are advertising the hell out of this movie.

The 'R' rating was probably unwise when trying to captivate the female audience.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:17 PM   #384
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I wonder how much of the pre release estimates were false numbers put out by WB. It seems like the major studios have really put a focus on pumping up pre release box office to build hype.

Obviously the danger in that is that when a movie falls below these numbers it can put people off. In this case even though BoP will probably still make a lot of money, due to low budget, people will focus on the huge projections.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:20 PM   #385
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Wonder woman and Captain Marvel both did alright.

To me, there's just something about BoP that looks cheap. The jokes don't look super funny either. It basically looks like a cheaper unfunny Deadpool.

The initial reviews were kind of changing my mind. But the RT reviews all seem to say it's just middle of the road. I may still go see it in a few weeks, if I have the time.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:04 PM   #386
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Birds of Prey was a fun movie, and I love how the story was told (basically literally as Harley thinks). Suicide Squad being a bad movie has much more to do with its bad box office than the R rating. I expect it to pick up steam as people realize it's actually pretty good. Not earth shattering, just fun.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:39 AM   #387
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s no steam to gain really off a $30M opening weekend unfortunately. Movie is a bomb.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
RyZ
Old 02-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #388
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

They needed Will Smith in it. R-rated Will Smith is excellent!
Old 02-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #389
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
There’s no steam to gain really off a $30M opening weekend unfortunately. Movie is a bomb.
Lol. It's still likely to be profitable against it's budget. Not sure how you consider that a bomb.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #390
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Lol. It's still likely to be profitable against it's budget. Not sure how you consider that a bomb.

I'm sure when WB green-lit a quasi-sequel featuring the most popular character from a $300M+ commercial hit, they weren't thinking "let's barely break even on this."
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:53 PM   #391
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

$90 million budget which is about the same as Joker, BoP might make a profit but with marketing/promotion and the cut theatres take it won't make much if anything.

That's a bomb.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:55 AM   #392
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes good movies just don't perform at the box office (looking at you Edge of Tomorrow and Blade Runner 2049). I don't think this changes much for WB/DC going forward. WW84 will be a top 3 movie this year at the box office and I suspect The Batman will as well next year and Suicide Squad 2 and Black Adam hopefully crush it next year. Sometimes you take chances and they work out financially (Joker) and sometimes well they don't.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:07 AM   #393
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Sometimes good movies just don't perform at the box office (looking at you Edge of Tomorrow and Blade Runner 2049). I don't think this changes much for WB/DC going forward. WW84 will be a top 3 movie this year at the box office and I suspect The Batman will as well next year and Suicide Squad 2 and Black Adam hopefully crush it next year. Sometimes you take chances and they work out financially (Joker) and sometimes well they don't.
I don't know about WW84. I saw that cheetah costume and it looked Cats worthy. Can't wait for Batman though.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:27 AM   #394
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I don't know about WW84. I saw that cheetah costume and it looked Cats worthy. Can't wait for Batman though.
The photo can be found pretty easily through a google search, but, yes, it's a bit weird. I have some reservations about what tone they might going for in this film.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:36 AM   #395
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
And sometimes bad and terrible movies over-perform.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #396
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the floor for WW84 is around $700 mill world wide even if it's complete garbage. If it's as good as the first one then I think it hits the billion dollar mark.

This is going to have a huge impact on movies for the next few months....Mulan is scheduled to come out at the end of March.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1226892380697022474
Old 02-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #397
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
$90 million budget which is about the same as Joker, BoP might make a profit but with marketing/promotion and the cut theatres take it won't make much if anything.

That's a bomb.
BoP is on pace to be more profitable, relative to budget than Captain America or Ant-Man.

Also, if you're going to take into account marketing, then you have to take into account other streams of revenue as well: streaming, DVD, toys, etc...

BoP is falling below expectations, but is far from a bomb. If all movies that only makes 10s of millions are bombs, then we've certainly go a new, very highly encompassing, standard for what a bomb is.

Also, BoP did not get a China release.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:02 PM   #398
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
BoP is on pace to be more profitable, relative to budget than Captain America or Ant-Man.

Also, if you're going to take into account marketing, then you have to take into account other streams of revenue as well: streaming, DVD, toys, etc...

BoP is falling below expectations, but is far from a bomb. If all movies that only makes 10s of millions are bombs, then we've certainly go a new, very highly encompassing, standard for what a bomb is.

Also, BoP did not get a China release.
BoP, $100M budget, at best it will take in $250M at the global box office, could be as low as $100-$150M if the bottom falls out next weekend, which means it will break even or lose over $100M. Captain America was $140M budget, $370M box office. Ant Man was $130M budget, $520M box office. BoP doesn't have anywhere as rich of a market for toys and such, as sexy clown dolls for R-rated movies have a pretty limited market.

Is it even getting a chinese release? It has a chinese-american director, so they'll try, but with the Corona virus messing with release dates and no release for suicide squad, this movie could make nothing in China.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #399
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
BoP, $100M budget, at best it will take in $250M at the global box office, could be as low as $100-$150M if the bottom falls out next weekend, which means it will break even or lose over $100M. Captain America was $140M budget, $370M box office. Ant Man was $130M budget, $520M box office. BoP doesn't have anywhere as rich of a market for toys and such, as sexy clown dolls for R-rated movies have a pretty limited market.

Is it even getting a chinese release? It has a chinese-american director, so they'll try, but with the Corona virus messing with release dates and no release for suicide squad, this movie could make nothing in China.

BoP already made over $81 million, in it's first weekend. You really think there's a chance it only makes $100 million total?

And the actual budget is estimated at $82-97 million, yet you've gone above the highest estimate. Captain America had a budget between $140–216.7, yet you've gone with the lowest budget.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:57 PM   #400
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I went with the budgets on wiki, which are production budgets. How much movies actually cost and how budgets are managed is largely shrouded in secrecy (in order to maintain a good grift), so I figure sole sourcing wiki for budgets is about as good as I can do.

I heard the budget was $100M minus a $12M tax credit, but I'd imagine most big films receive some type of tax incentive. So I figure $100M is good enough for napkin calculations.

If "the bottom falls out" in the second weekend, that would mean a ~70% drop, so $25M, and if it drops that much then it's probably only making another $10M in box office, which gets us to $115M. Considering the post release hype on this film has focused on mixed reviews and poor box office, I think that's a realistic floor for the movie.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote