Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #241
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'd agree...but they were also bombed.

Bombs have a tendency to escalate tensions.
This was well before #### hit the fan.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #242
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
So all the recent allegations and findings have nothing to do with it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
So disregard all the recent information about CPS corruption and flip that to an ad hominem false equivalence non sequitur generalization, ok.
Corruption within an organization? Say it isn't so. Can anyone say with certainty that there has ever been a large organization of humans that didn't have a level of corruption? There is zero chance of ever having a perfect police force, government, large business, etc. I would be willing to bet that far less corruption takes place now but the difference is that we are more aware of it now due to the internet and 24/7 coverage of news. Lets not forget brightest of the bright and smartest of the smart don't become police officers. Now I'm not saying that police officers are lowest common denominator but not a lot of highly intelligent people dream of writing speeding tickets or becoming meat shields for the public. It's a thankless job and if you have a bad day there's a lot of negatives whether it be making a mistake that lands you in court, being injured on the job, injuring others on the job, or loss of life.

There are over 2000 officers in this city so let's be realistic here. Most officers are clean and have the public's best interests in mind but as always with humans there are going to be some bad apples. Can the force be better? Absolutely and maybe management needs to be on notice but the screening and analysis of applicants is not a perfected art in any organization so there's always going to be some flawed people in the force that slip through the cracks.

The way some of you are carrying on in this thread you would think that that we were discussing Russian police or something. As I said before there seems to be a level of resentment to the authority. Maybe some of you should apply with the city if you think it's easy dealing with the public especially when you are usually the face of bad news in serving a traffic ticket or investigating a misdemeanor. I can guarantee even the most patient person will have their patience tried on a daily basis.

In the past I have had run-ins with the law, been arrested, etc and sure sometimes officers were dicks but I never held any resentment as I accepted that any trouble I was in was of my own doing. Next time you get pulled over for a ticked instead of being standoffish, argue, or pretend you have no idea why you are being pulled over, be honest. When he/she asks you why you got pulled over tell them why like; "I was speeding". I can guarantee you will get a good reception and possibly even a lenient ticket as it's refreshing for them not to have to deal with malcontents all the time. At the end of the day they are people just like us that do their job, go home, and have good and bad days like all of us so lets not lump them up as some organization of major corruption when the reality is that it's just a few bad apples making the news for the wrong reasons.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-23-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #243
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So disregard all the recent information about CPS corruption and flip that to an ad hominem false equivalence non sequitur generalization, ok.
Got a kick out of all these used in a row for some reason. I too read!
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:38 AM   #244
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Got a kick out of all these used in a row for some reason. I too read!
If he could shoehorn xenophobe, correlation does not equal causation, and strawman into that sentence, he'd be the smartest guy on cp.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #245
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
If he could shoehorn xenophobe, correlation does not equal causation, and strawman into that sentence, he'd be the smartest guy on cp.
He is just ask.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:23 PM   #246
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh I get it. I'll be the first person to put my hand up and admit I'm one of them.

When I saw the cars my first instinct was: "Sweeeeet!!! They look awesome!"

Its just that over time my opinion on that changed when I realized that we really dont want our Police to be primarily intimidating.
Put me in this camp. They look really cool but I agree that looking like superheroes isn't the image they should be portraying.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #247
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

My usage was right and some of you are reduced to rhetorical tactics. Shall I explain it in plain English? Attacking my character with a made up comparison that is both untrue and unrelated to the point is petty, rhetorical and childish.

Do I have to explain what rhetoric is now or do you need your sippycups? (Not you mmf, you're cool... this time)

Last edited by AcGold; 11-26-2016 at 09:21 AM.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #248
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate the misuse of the phrase. It's just a few bad apples. It's generally used as an excuse to not have any systemic change. The second half of the saying is always forgotten.

A few bad apples spoil the bunch.

So if you think it's just a few bad apples you should be doing everything possible to get rid of them before they spoil the bunch. So the phrase should be being used to promote systemic change
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #249
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:
Default Let's Talk about the Calgary Police Service

Quote:
My usage was right and some of you are reduced to rhetorical tactics. Shall I explain it in plain English? Attacking my character with a made up comparison that is both untrue and unrelated to the point is petty, rhetorical and childish.

Do I have to explain what rhetoric is now or do you need your sippycups? (Not you mmf, you're cool... this time)

Relax, it's just funny.

10 points for using the word "rhetoric" 3 times in 3 rhetoric filled sentences though.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #250
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #251
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sounds like an interesting case:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/11/28...custody-battle

Quote:
Calgary police officers conspired to wrongly arrest and confine a Calgary man embroiled in a bitter custody dispute with his ex-wife and her husband, a sworn officer, a $600,000 lawsuit alleges.

The statement of claim alleges Calgary dad Jacob Hardy was detained at the police Arrest Processing Unit for more than eight hours on a false charge of perjury in January, the result of a "corrupt and biased police investigation" that was initiated by his ex-wife Candace Rumancik, a civilian employee of the force, and her husband Const. Joel Rumancik.

Also named in the suit, which was filed last week, are three other serving police officers and Chief Roger Chaffin.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:19 PM   #252
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Wow, that's some Mexico style ****.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #253
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it involves a divorce, take anyone's story with a grain of salt. Also, nothing is too outlandish to be possible. But still, I'd be skeptical.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #254
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
If it involves a divorce, take anyone's story with a grain of salt. Also, nothing is too outlandish to be possible. But still, I'd be skeptical.
Wasn't it Jonathon Denis (might have the wrong name) who got totally screwed out of a political career because of shrewd timing by an ex?

Last edited by jayswin; 11-28-2016 at 04:29 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #255
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dunno, I'm not aware of it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #256
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since Rick Hanson left this new chief has been exposing a lot of crap. It's really changed my opinion of Rick Hanson. He seemed more concerned about his reputation than doing the right thing.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #257
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

Represented by our very own Mbates.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:28 AM   #258
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A woman was shot and killed this morning by the police. Not going to jump to conclusions since no idea what happened but all I can say is that's a lot of shootings this year by the police.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #259
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, this seems pretty abnormal. 10 police shootings this year? Is that a record?
Old 11-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #260
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

The fact that they're all police aside...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote