Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #81
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
The show is not awful, but it's super cheesy and campy. It'll air it's first season but I don't expect much buzz around it by the time the season is through. I'll keep watching until it totally puts me off.
I hope they embrace the cheeseball factor like Chuck did. The monster of the week model cant sustain the tension from week to week to make a serious spy thriller work.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #82
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I enjoyed lasted night's episode. They seem to have a lot of "big picture" villains. Though it's probably the same person/group with all these plots.

The show runners have also set themselves up to have a permanent female "Nick Fury" with the character they introduced last night.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #83
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Can't understand Simmons with her accent and mumbling.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #84
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I enjoyed lasted night's episode. They seem to have a lot of "big picture" villains. Though it's probably the same person/group with all these plots.

The show runners have also set themselves up to have a permanent female "Nick Fury" with the character they introduced last night.
I'm wondering if it's going to end up being HYDRA as their main enemy like in the source material. This rising tide group seems to be just like Anonymous right now
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #85
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coulson's first words last episode: "Maybe I should learn to fly."

Totally has to end up as Vision.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #86
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I'm wondering if it's going to end up being HYDRA as their main enemy like in the source material. This rising tide group seems to be just like Anonymous right now
Right now I'm thinking it's A.I.M..

Quote:
A.I.M.'s origins began late in World War II with Baron Wolfgang von Strucker's creation of his subversive organization HYDRA. Under the code name of T.H.E.M., he created two HYDRA branches called Advanced Idea Mechanics and Secret Empire.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #87
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default S.h.i.e.l.d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Right now I'm thinking it's A.I.M..
That would tie into Extremis and Iron Man III no?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #88
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seems like each episode gets progressively better. I really enjoyed tonight's episode. The whole big picture unfolding while maintaining good episodic stories is starting to feel very Whedon-esque.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #89
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I caught up on the last two episodes last nights and the previous weeks one with the girl with the eye.

Last nights episode was very strong, the writing was solid, the effects were a bit cheesy.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #90
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I caught up on the last two episodes last nights and the previous weeks one with the girl with the eye.

Last nights episode was very strong, the writing was solid, the effects were a bit cheesy.
Hopefully if this show gets enough viewership, they can up the effects budget next season a la Walking Dead.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #91
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I did like seeing that doctor incinerated and seeing her body fall apart like that even though she was hot.

Is this Hydra?
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #92
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nitpicking out this episode but I really wish TV and movie producers would take a bit more time doing fact checking and hiring people appropriate to the region to play roles. Hong Kong scene was awful with clear American Chinatown signs and god awful fake Chinese accents.

Same thing happened with Pacific Rim. Asian cities are not full of weird voodoo shops selling animal parts run by Ron Perlman, fortune tellers, and American tourists. It's like portraying Paris as a city of mimes and Vespas with baskets full of baguettes and every Parisian was wearing tight pants with berets laughing at tourists bad French. It's simply not realistic and all it would have taken to fix the issue was a different camera angle and slightly different casting choices. Production laziness like this drives me nuts... /rant
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #93
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Asian cities are not full of weird voodoo shops selling animal parts run by Ron Perlman, fortune tellers, and American tourists.
How do you know what Asian cities are like in the 2020s? Probably going to be a Ron Perlman on every corner by then.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #94
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Nitpicking out this episode but I really wish TV and movie producers would take a bit more time doing fact checking and hiring people appropriate to the region to play roles. Hong Kong scene was awful with clear American Chinatown signs and god awful fake Chinese accents.

Same thing happened with Pacific Rim. Asian cities are not full of weird voodoo shops selling animal parts run by Ron Perlman, fortune tellers, and American tourists. It's like portraying Paris as a city of mimes and Vespas with baskets full of baguettes and every Parisian was wearing tight pants with berets laughing at tourists bad French. It's simply not realistic and all it would have taken to fix the issue was a different camera angle and slightly different casting choices. Production laziness like this drives me nuts... /rant
It's entertainment, not a travel documentary. And clearly, you've never been to Paris.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #95
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
It's entertainment, not a travel documentary. And clearly, you've never been to Paris.
I know it's a TV show for North American audience, but Cantonese was absolutely awful. Pleasantly surprised with the Mindy May's Cantonese though
Old 10-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #96
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
I know it's a TV show for North American audience, but Cantonese was absolutely awful. Pleasantly surprised with the Mindy May's Cantonese though
Yeah... May's Cantonese was actually decent sounding enough... the other guy... I have difficulty trying to hear through the accent.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #97
skippy
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
Yeah... May's Cantonese was actually decent sounding enough... the other guy... I have difficulty trying to hear through the accent.
Through his English accented Cantonese or his pseudo-terrible Cantonese accented English? Obviously he didn't study Rush Hour enough.
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #98
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

if his english and cantonese were that bad, they should have hired Jackie Chan, get a few more eyeballs.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #99
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Interesting fact, the actress that plays Skye is 1/2 chinese and speaks mandarin.

Also, she has a Robin Sparks-esque pop song out. Warning, it's pretty bad.

Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #100
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Looks like they will be tying in the show with events from the movies. It might entice a few people to go see the movie in the first couple weeks so they don't get anything spoiled by the show.

The episode is also directed by Jonathan Frakes.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=48893

Quote:
Taking advantage of the inherent synergy between ABC series "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." and the Marvel Studios feature films, the Nov. 19 episode of the TV show is set to pick up on the events of "Thor: The Dark World," in theaters on Nov. 8.

The official synopsis for the upcoming episode, titled "The Well," reads, "In the aftermath of the events chronicled in the feature film Marvel's 'Thor: The Dark World,' Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. pick up the pieces -- one of which threatens to destroy a member of the team." It's not yet clear how deep of a connection the episode will have to the film, but it's an example of the show again tying-in directly with the broader Marvel Cinematic Universe.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: