Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2020, 07:23 PM   #1341
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
^inferno that's where I'm at now. Just looking to crush fps in ultrawide but just at 1080p. What kind of processor do you have? I have a ryzen 7 1700 right now and it does great in certain things but not others.

100 fps is totally fine too. Diminishing returns to the eyes at such high framerates
i7-5820K from my last build about 2015. I've thought about upgrading but everyone I've talked to who is knowledgeable about computer parts tells me it's unnecessary right now and that upgrading my video card(GTX980) was the only thing I really needed to consider if I wanted to go ultra-wide.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:01 PM   #1342
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Intel said to investors that their 7nm process is delayed until 2022 or even 2023. That's a big big hole to climb out of.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15926...3rd-party-fabs
Old 07-26-2020, 12:22 AM   #1343
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like the Samsung Odyssey G9 has been pulled before release due to manufacturing issues (gaps between panel and frame, among other issues). I’m seeing a lot of complaints about the G7 as well - probably best to steer clear.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #1344
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Intel said to investors that their 7nm process is delayed until 2022 or even 2023. That's a big big hole to climb out of.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15926...3rd-party-fabs
Intel just suffered a massive data breach that's revealing details on unreleased CPU designs, confidential company information, as well as a number of hardcoded backdoors on their platforms. This will do wonders for Intel chip security for the next few years.

Expect more details to emerge on this in the coming days as tech industry experts, security analysts, hackers and the like start going over the leaked info. Intel stock is a definite sell given this, their past security issues, and the abysmal state of their fab production processes

Also LOL:
Quote:
Interestingly, the tweeter also notes "If you find password protected zips in the release the password is probably either "Intel123" or "intel123". This was not set by me or my source, this is how it was acquired from Intel."
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ma...ions-backdoors
https://twitter.com/deletescape/stat...05688204402689

Last edited by FlameOn; 08-06-2020 at 03:59 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #1345
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Intel just suffered a massive data breach that's revealing details on unreleased CPU designs, confidential company information, as well as a number of hardcoded backdoors on their platforms. This will do wonders for Intel chip security for the next few years.

Expect more details to emerge on this in the coming days as tech industry experts, security analysts, hackers and the like start going over the leaked info. Intel stock is a definite sell given this, their past security issues, and the abysmal state of their fab production processes

Also LOL:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ma...ions-backdoors
https://twitter.com/deletescape/stat...05688204402689
LOL - Love the headline photo on the Toms Hardware article on this.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #1346
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1292808003897311232
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:56 PM   #1347
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

... Okay? Usually if you're going to do a countdown, you need to indicate when the clock will run out so people know when to expect the news you're trying to hype up.

EDIT: Google says August 31. Alright then.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:51 AM   #1348
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

With my undervolted and overclocked 1080 Ti still being pretty beastly for pretty much whatever I've thrown at it to this point, I'm happy to hold off until RTX becomes more mainstream, particularly if prices for a 3080 Ti are in the same ballpark as existing 2080 Ti cards.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #1349
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm honestly kind of hoping that a bunch of people who didn't upgrade this gen are looking to swap their 1080ti for a new card this go around, and I can get one for a good price. If anyone here's in that boat let me know.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:43 AM   #1350
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just announce it already! I am ready to upgrade my 1080 to a 3080 or 3080ti.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #1351
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some sad news to share here (not sure anyone will care but, just in case, I'll talk about what happened).

My hard drive suddenly failed today (I'm guessing it has something to do with our sudden heat wave, but I'm not sure). Hadn't done a data backup of it in the past couple of years, but was planning to do one very soon. Sure enough, the dang thing crashes right before I was going to back it up.

It's one of those old hard drives, from the mid 2000s. It's making buzzing noises every time I attempt to boot my PC with it hooked up to the PC. Thankfully it's a slave drive and not the main HD with the operating system on it. Still, it had important files for a project I was working on, and it would set me back quite a bit if I was not able to retrieve it.

Any advice on what I could do to retrieve the data on it, aside from spending hundreds or thousands to have a 3rd party retrieve the data from it? I've heard something about cooling down the HD by refrigeration, would you recommend that?
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:05 AM   #1352
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Data recovery is going to run you at least $800, in my experience it hasn't been more than $1100. ReStoring Data is who I have used, and they have been great.

I have successfully used the freezer method 3 or 4 times, but I've never done it on critical data. To me it's a last resort to not pay money. The issue I've had is it often gets the drive running, but after a few minutes to hours of heat it fails again. So grab what you really need quickly, and worry about everything else after.

Know that any time you power on the drive, you are reducing the chance pros can get data off of it, and cause catastrophic failure, so if you are really willing to pay, go pay as the first option, not last.

What brand is it? Seagate has Seatools which can analyze the drive, but in my experience it doesn't tell you much more than you know from the buzzing sound.

Last edited by Fuzz; 08-19-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2020, 11:11 PM   #1353
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the reply. It was an old Western Digital HDD. I got the data retrieved for less than $350, and that included the cost of a brand new hard drive.

I learned a valuable lesson about backing up data frequently, at a cost that turned out to be much lower than I feared it would be. Remember folks, backup your data now if you haven't recently!

If anyone runs into the same problem that I had, here's a place I would recommend: https://www.icubedev.com/

Last edited by Mathgod; 08-24-2020 at 11:16 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 07:41 AM   #1354
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My boss learned that valuable lesson about backups...3 times! Not work stuff, his personal drive. He was quite sheepish the 3rd time he had to ask me to call them.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:23 AM   #1355
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Well...the next WoW expansion now has a SSD as a minimum requirement. I guess I'm in the market for upgrading a computer and a laptop hard drive since the OS SSDs on them are too small for a game.

SATA III isn't that much slower for gaming, right? Also, can you swap a laptop HDD with a SSD easily? Or are the form factors too different?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:00 AM   #1356
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Well...the next WoW expansion now has a SSD as a minimum requirement. I guess I'm in the market for upgrading a computer and a laptop hard drive since the OS SSDs on them are too small for a game.

SATA III isn't that much slower for gaming, right? Also, can you swap a laptop HDD with a SSD easily? Or are the form factors too different?
I bought a 500GB Crucial ssd for WoW last year. The difference is incredible over the HDD.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:26 AM   #1357
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post

You'll be limited to a SATA 2.5" SSD, as your laptop likely won't have an M.2 slot if you're currently rocking a HDD. Even then, a SATA III SSD is a monumental performance increase over a 7,200 RPM HDD, and most laptop HDDs are 5,400 RPM for packaging / thermal reasons.

But they're the same size, you'll be fine.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 08-31-2020 at 10:28 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 11:57 AM   #1358
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Been thinking it is time to upgrade my PC. I used to upgrade every 3 years but my current system is around 7 years old now and I'm way out of the loop these days on the latest systems. What should I be looking for in a general use computer these days? I still sometimes play games but not enough to warrant a high end gaming system, also needs to be able to handle large Excel files, as well as the basic stuff like email, photos, music, videos. Is this a good time to buy or are prices still affected by Covid?
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:28 PM   #1359
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Been thinking it is time to upgrade my PC. I used to upgrade every 3 years but my current system is around 7 years old now and I'm way out of the loop these days on the latest systems. What should I be looking for in a general use computer these days? I still sometimes play games but not enough to warrant a high end gaming system, also needs to be able to handle large Excel files, as well as the basic stuff like email, photos, music, videos. Is this a good time to buy or are prices still affected by Covid?
Prices for most things are fine, but supply is still a bit screwed up at times and so you will see some weird pricing from Amazon.

For something that'll last you another seven years given what you do with it, I'd build this:
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600
- 16 GB DDR4-3600 (Minimum amount)
- Asus PRIME B550M-A (Wi-Fi) motherboard or similar (B550 chipset have PCIe 4.0 which will futureproof the build)
- Minimum of 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (smaller SSDs have slower performance, so buy as much storage capacity as you think you'll need here)
- GTX 1650 or 1660 (RTX 2060 if you are willing to spend a little more for futureproofing)

If you hold off a bit longer, we may see more information around the timing of Ryzen Zen 3 soon which will drop prices on current generation Ryzen and give you a better deal on the parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 01:06 PM   #1360
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do I need to buy a G-sync monitor if I've got a GTX 2070 Super? If I were to buy a Freesync am I missing out on any major features?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote