Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-13-2020, 07:16 PM   #1
YourMother
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default What is the best way to watch live hockey while camping?

Hey guys,

I'm planning on going camping for August long and some of the guys and myself were thinking it may be a neat idea to try to broadcast the August 1-2 marathon days of hockey while we are out there. Maybe just have a TV set up in the back of a truck and such.
I was just wondering what you guys think the best way of doing that would be in terms of having high quality, lack of delay/buffering, and low cost.
We are going to be camping in an area fairly close to a highway that we know so reception shouldn't be a problem. I have unlimited data through Rogers on my phone but it drops off after 10 gigs of usage so I imagine it may be too slow to use a hotspot. I also have Telus PikTV on my phone which I could potentially screen share but even with wifi it barely works in my house.
Any idea what would be the safest option to use would be? I don't mind spending some cash as long as it gives me a better chance of this working. How effective are pocket wifi devices(mifi)?
Any help would be great. Also, my wife would agree that this is a silly idea.
YourMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:18 AM   #2
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Honestly back in the day I used a set of rabbit ears up at the lake to catch CBC on a little TV and it worked. I had to hunt for the rabbit ears, lol, this was during the Flames/Red Wings series I forget which year that was, but not 2004, post that.

The quality was decent. But more importantly it was actually very reliable compared to data streaming. Trying to stream anything but rabbit ear quality on your phone will just destroy that 10 gigs of data instantly. Might be something to look into it.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Video consumption Est. per hour
480p - 700Mb
720p - 1Gb
1080p - 1.5Gb
2k - 3.0Gb
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote