Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #21
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
After the trailer what is everyone expecting Spider-Man to make? I'm thinking around $350-$400 million minimum up to $500 million max.
Asia seems love anything Spiderman related. With increased Chinese markets, this should hit 1 billion. Relatively easy. Even Vernon, which had a narrower target audience, brought in almost 900 million, including about 650 foreign.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #22
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would rather see actual tickets sold and/or number of viewings (ie butts in seats) rather than revenue/box office as a measurement of how successful the movie is.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #23
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Would rather see actual tickets sold and/or number of viewings (ie butts in seats) rather than revenue/box office as a measurement of how successful the movie is.
For domestic box office mojo has their average ticket price for a movie, while not perfect as it doesn’t account for differences between movies for IMAX vs regular viewings it is a proxy for butts in seats.

So year of year you just adjust for the change in average ticket price. This is reflected in the box office mojo adjusted for inflation list.

What that approach doesn’t account for is degree of difficulty in capturing a fractured markets attention. Less people go to the movies now than previously in terms of raw tickets sold so a better metric might be % of that years total box office if you are trying to maesure a movies impact on culture.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #24
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just saw Lego Movie 2 and I must say it was really good. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it's doing so poor at the box office? Maybe people are sick of Lego movies, but I thought the first one and Lego Batman were both good. If the foreign box office doesn't do well this may be the last Lego movie for a long time.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #25
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just saw Lego Movie 2 and I must say it was really good. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it's doing so poor at the box office? Maybe people are sick of Lego movies, but I thought the first one and Lego Batman were both good. If the foreign box office doesn't do well this may be the last Lego movie for a long time.
I think the media budget was pretty small for it. It definitely lacked advertising. It’s also dumped into the worst month for movies so I expect it didn’t test well.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #26
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think LEGO as a brand as kind of reached a saturation point. There's just been too much of it everywhere -- beyond just the actual LEGO itself, there's video games, shows, books, other toys... a movie is not exciting or a novelty anymore, it's just another LEGO thing.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:12 AM   #27
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it appears Alita: Battle Angel is not going to be the box office bomb many were predicting. The movie made the wise decision to move from December to get away from Aquaman, Bumblebee and Mary Poppins Returns. It has currently made $140 mill with it yet to open in China. Initial estimates has it opening to over $50 mill in China, so should do really well there.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #28
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, it was far better than I was expecting. I quite enjoyed the first lego movie but Batman and Ninjago broke me and I definitely went into Lego Movie 2 dragging my heals. I have to imagine that plays a big role.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #29
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

LEGO 2 just ins't doing it for me, and I cant really put my finger on why. The first was terrific, I'm one of those 30-somethings who still buys LEGO all for himself, but no interest in this one.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #30
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My kids love legos but not interested in seeing this movie. We were recently in Legoland too where this movie was heavily promoted but my kids were indifferent to it. We saw Ninjago at the theatres (I fell asleep) and my kids have never asked to see that movie again, unlike other recent movies like Despicable Me 3, Incredibles 2, etc. Seems like something is missing in the sauce.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #31
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

So CM had a pretty amazing opening weekend. Here is a quick summary...

Quote:
...this will be a summation of the various weekend box office records and milestones achieved or broken by Walt Disney and Marvel’s Captain Marvel. The Brie Larson/Samuel L. Jackson/Reggie the Cat sci-fi adventure opened with a best-case-scenario launch of (as of this writing) $153 million domestic, $89m in China and $455m globally over its first few days.

Considering that (for example) Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was infamously frontloaded and still earned $873 million worldwide from a $422m global launch, it’s safe to presume that the MCU’s 21st movie is going to be its fifth $1 billion-plus earner and its second “not an Avengers movie” $1b-plus hit. But that’s for another day.
And where CM currently sits among box office records and milestones...

Quote:
The 57th-biggest comic book movie and 58th-biggest superhero movie in North America

39th-biggest comic book superhero movie worldwide

18th-biggest opening weekend of all-time

Ninth-biggest comic book superhero debut of all-time

Sixth-biggest domestic debut for a female-led movie

Fourth-biggest superhero launch ever in China

Fourth-biggest domestic opening for a Samuel L. Jackson movie

Fourth-biggest pre-summer debut ever

Fourth-biggest (or third-biggest) domestic debut for a non-sequel

Biggest IMAX global launch for a non-sequel

Biggest opening weekend for a female-directed feature

Biggest domestic debut for a female-led comic book superhero movie

Biggest overseas debut for a female-led movie

Biggest worldwide debut for a female-fronted movie

Biggest opening weekend for a movie starring a cat
Link
Old 03-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #32
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
So CM had a pretty amazing opening weekend. Here is a quick summary...

And where CM currently sits among box office records and milestones...

Link
While I thought the film was just okay, these results are amazing to see!! I don't think we can ever doubt MCU or be surprised by the results going forward.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #33
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was kind of hoping that Captain Marvel would flop so studios could ramp down on the comic book movies. I know I'm guilty by association but this generation of films is not going to be looked at kindly in history.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:29 PM   #34
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I was kind of hoping that Captain Marvel would flop so studios could ramp down on the comic book movies. I know I'm guilty by association but this generation of films is not going to be looked at kindly in history.
Think this one was going to be a success if only because it's kind of required viewing in advance of End Game.

I do think we could see some Super Hero fatigue after end game though.

Will be interesting to see how Dark Phoenix, and Spider-Man do this summer, because even as somebody who really likes super hero movies I'm just not that interested in them with most of the focus being on End Game.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #35
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dont know about that, History is written by the victors and at the moment Superhero movies are kicking ass, taking names and printing money, when the history books are written they'll likely be in comic-book format.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #36
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
With home theater as fantastic as it is, it makes more sense for people to attend pure action movies in the theater. It's basically part movie experience and part amusement ride at this point.

I agree though, in terms of storylines many of these movies are trash. That's not really what you're paying for with these films at this point.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #37
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Get out of here Terry Gilliam, you're drunk!
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:00 AM   #38
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
If anything I think once it's capped off history will look back on the MCU as even more impressive. I get that many people don't like the genre, and that's completely acceptable. But to ignore that in 10 years they created 22 movies that fit together coherently and it wasn't a total disaster is almost unbelievable. The only thing I can even compare it to is the Bond universe where the movies aren't all interwoven, it's taken 57 years to make 26 of them, and there's still plenty of garbage films in there.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #39
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
If anything I think once it's capped off history will look back on the MCU as even more impressive. I get that many people don't like the genre, and that's completely acceptable. But to ignore that in 10 years they created 22 movies that fit together coherently and it wasn't a total disaster is almost unbelievable. The only thing I can even compare it to is the Bond universe where the movies aren't all interwoven, it's taken 57 years to make 26 of them, and there's still plenty of garbage films in there.
What's your measuring stick? Star Wars? The nicest thing I can say is that the studios were handed a winning formula from the comics and all they had to do was not mess it up. These movies to me are more like big budget video games, designed, and engineered to cater to the masses rather than crafted movies.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #40
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
These movies to me are more like big budget video games, designed, and engineered to cater to the masses rather than crafted movies.
To me, they are both.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post: