Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:
Default What the Flames (and others) apparently offered for Lindros

Keep in mind this was in 1992 after Eric Lindros held out after being drafted.

Flames offered:

Mike Vernon,
Al MacInnis,
Joe Nieuwendyk
draft picks

Toronto offered:
Felix Potvin,
Wendel Clark,
Dave Ellet,
Craig Berube,
$15M,
draft picks

Chicago offered:
Ed Belfour,
Steve Larmer,
Steve Smith,
7 draft picks

And the two that everybody knows,

NYR offered:

Alexi Kovalev,
Doug Weight,
Tony Amonte,
John Vanbiesbrouck (would be replaced with James Patrick if Vanbiesbrouck didn't re-sign with New York prior),
$12M
three 1st round picks

Philly traded:
Peter Forsberg,
Ron Hextall,
Mike Ricci,
Steve Duchesne,
Kerry Huffman,
Chris Simon,
$15M,
two 1st round picks

The 2 draft picks became Jocelyn Thibault (who was packaged to acquire Patrick Roy) and Nolan Baumgartner (the pick ended up being dealt to Washington).

This is all according to his CBC interview here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_aWmqPFWVE

Pretty interesting to look back now.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That's pretty mind blowing.
doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Would Iggy still have ended up here then? Probably not. Interesting to see how highly sought after Lindros was.
Giordano: He plays for the oilers, enough said.
FlamingInfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:12 AM   #4
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's sheer insanity, especially how his career turned out. I've always thought Lindros was overrated and man am I glad the Flames didn't make that deal.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #5
MikeN
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
That's sheer insanity, especially how his career turned out. I've always thought Lindros was overrated and man am I glad the Flames didn't make that deal.

Man no kidding.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:36 AM   #6
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I think Lindros is only 'overrated' because his injuries didn't allow him to reach his potential.

Some of the stories about the Flyers management, and their handling of Lindros' injuries are pretty wild. It certainly seems like he was forced to play when he shouldn't have been, which ultimately lead to more and more concussions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 AM   #7
FAN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree. What did the Flames do with Mike Vernon, MacInnis, and Nieuwendyk before they were gone? What did the Flames end up getting for the three? The Flames would have had a superstar in Lindros for years before Iginla even entered the league. And if Lindros didn't get injured, who knows how many more productive seasons Lindros would have had. In their primes, would you not have traded Iginla straight up for Lindros?

The Pre-concussion Lindros was absolutely dominating. He pretty much turned the Flyers franchise around and is credited as the biggest reason Wachovia Center was built. Lindros was truely a franchise player back in the day.
FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FAN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 02:49 AM   #8
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flames offer wasn't much at the time compared.

I'm surprised they didn't take the NY offer, Kovalev was highly toted, as were Amonte and Weight coming out of college with big numbers. Vanbiesbrouck was one of the best in those years. 12m and 3 more first rounders.

They took the Forsberg package knowing he was signed in Sweden for 3 more years...interesting.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 02:54 AM   #9
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Flames offer wasn't much at the time compared.

I'm surprised they didn't take the NY offer, Kovalev was highly toted, as were Amonte and Weight coming out of college with big numbers. Vanbiesbrouck was one of the best in those years. 12m and 3 more first rounders.

They took the Forsberg package knowing he was signed in Sweden for 3 more years...interesting.
I don't understand how it made it to this step... but both the Rangers and Philly trades were "accepted", and an arbitrator (Bertuzzi's granduncle apparently) decided which one would go through.

edit:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...Ztc42IoYDKgOwA

Apparently the Flyers were claiming they had a verbal agreement for the trade, while the Rangers claimed to have a written agreement prior to the Philly one. Quebec was arguing the Rangers trade was the valid one, so I guess they did want the Rangers trade afterall.

Last edited by AC; 04-14-2010 at 02:56 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 02:57 AM   #10
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAN View Post
I disagree. What did the Flames do with Mike Vernon, MacInnis, and Nieuwendyk before they were gone? What did the Flames end up getting for the three? The Flames would have had a superstar in Lindros for years before Iginla even entered the league. And if Lindros didn't get injured, who knows how many more productive seasons Lindros would have had. In their primes, would you not have traded Iginla straight up for Lindros?

The Pre-concussion Lindros was absolutely dominating. He pretty much turned the Flyers franchise around and is credited as the biggest reason Wachovia Center was built. Lindros was truely a franchise player back in the day.
Aside from not getting Iginla I doubt Lindros would have accepted a trade here either, his idiot dad wanted a big market so he could even more money off of endorsements.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:58 AM   #11
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I don't understand how it made it to this step... but both the Rangers and Philly trades were "accepted", and an arbitrator (Bertuzzi's granduncle apparently) decided which one would go through.

Apparently the Flyers were claiming they had a verbal agreement for the trade, while the Rangers claimed to have a written agreement prior to the Philly one. Quebec was arguing the Rangers trade was the valid one, so I guess they did want the Rangers trade afterall.
Imagine the different hockey world we'd live in now if that one had gone through instead.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:59 AM   #12
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Aside from not getting Iginla I doubt Lindros would have accepted a trade here either, his idiot dad wanted a big market so he could even more money off of endorsements.
Maybe not though. This was only 3 years after we won the cup, so perhaps that would have been enticing enough.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:01 AM   #13
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe not though. This was only 3 years after we won the cup, so perhaps that would have been enticing enough.
His dad didn't care about team success, he cared about $$$
Old 04-14-2010, 03:23 AM   #14
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I think Lindros is only 'overrated' because his injuries didn't allow him to reach his potential.

Some of the stories about the Flyers management, and their handling of Lindros' injuries are pretty wild. It certainly seems like he was forced to play when he shouldn't have been, which ultimately lead to more and more concussions.
Sounds like Edm and Souray. Forced him to play when he wasn't healed. Caused more injuries and him to hate mgmt.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:03 AM   #15
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

Quote:
I'd agree. I remember him in the 1991 Canada Cup as an 18-year old, running over guys like Joel Otto at will. Plus his complete physical domination a year later at the 1992 Winter Olympics. He wasn't even 20 and he looked like a man playing against boys.

Had his health been handled differently by the Flyers, who knows how his career would have turned out.
NBC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NBC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 05:42 AM   #16
mister__big
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm surprised Glen Sather hasn't yet said that he had a handshake agreement with Quebec to trade for Lindros.
mister__big is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mister__big For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 05:49 AM   #17
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Overrated? Really?

The guy's peak was unmatched by anyone except the most elite players in the history of the league. His peak was reached at the age of 25 and then sidelined due to injury. Arguably he hadn't even reached his peak at that time.

That was no way that Lindros was overrated with that expectations after the draft. He was a modern Gordie Howe maligned by serious injuries. An unstoppable physical goal scoring beast when on his game.
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pastiche For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 07:20 AM   #18
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAN View Post

Within a few years, the Flames had to deal away Vernon, MacInnis, and Niewendyk because they couldn't afford them. What makes you think they could afford Lindros?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #19
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDoupe View Post
Within a few years, the Flames had to deal away Vernon, MacInnis, and Niewendyk because they couldn't afford them. What makes you think they could afford Lindros?
Not relevant.

We lost Vernon for nothing, MacInnis for Housley, and Nieuwendyk for Iginla.

So we either get Housley and Iginla or Lindros from that deal. Hindsight says that you probably go with Iggy in light of injuries. Iginla's salary and Lindros' are comparable and who knows what a guy like Lindros would have done for the commercial success of the Flames in the 90s. They would have had an opportunity to sign him. ASlso, at the time Lindros had unquestionably the highest ceiling. If injuries didn't malign his career he could have been an all time great.
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #20
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I like the way it worked out for us in the end... however I doubt Lindros would have got Scott Stevens played for the Flames, or maybe it would have just been another player that laid him out. Not like that was the first time his head was down in the neutral zone.

The kid was just so used to being so big and invisible out there growing up, sometimes dominating juniors can be a curse.