Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 AM   #41
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Sheeesh, I boo every player on the other team.
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking to boo Dougie because he may or may not have liked museums, I dont have an answer to that, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let Dougie skate around care free in his own end in peace, that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will request you buy me a beer as reperations for booing hamilton.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gunnner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 07:05 AM   #42
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that Dougie and Ferland should get a nice ovation tomorrow. I was a big trade Dougie guy last summer but it was not because I don’t like the guy or thought he was a bad player just not the right fit. The trade worked out well for us and we saw some great productive years from both Ferland and Hamilton that should be warmly recognized
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #43
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Dougie Hamilton returns and asked about museum comment when trade occurred

For a guy like Hamilton, I wonder how he feels in the aftermath of that trade. It must suck to see how your old team has surged in your absence. Does he wonder about what went wrong? Does he feel some responsibility for the team’s struggles that they have now overcome? How could one not feel even bitter about missing out on what is becoming a historic season?

I think these are feelings I would likely have in his shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 01-21-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 07:48 AM   #44
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I have always felt that the only players that should get any boos are players that have asked for trades, or have been traded without asking for one but have made disparaging comments about the Flames.

Hamilton has not done anything to warrant boos. On the contrary, I actually hope he has a warm ovation. Are the Flames planning on showing anything up on the scoreboard during a TV timeout? I hope they do it for him and Ferland. That's what classy organizations do.
Hearsay I heard is he did ask to be traded.

Still, he should not be booed for that.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #45
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is this even a topic? I was never that happy about the hamilton tenure as a flame, but he's a crucial part in how the flames roster looks today, in part due to the value he was able to demonstrate here.

Let's all move on and be happy with how things turned out.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #46
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton was nothing but a solid Professional in his time here, he wasnt a fit for this team at its current level of ambition.

He didnt fit. Not his fault. But hes a talented player and seemingly a guy with an excellent sense of humour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Did anyone boo Gulutzan? He is the one deserves booing.
I'd cheer Gulutzan every time he touches the puck but it happens all too rarely.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:56 AM   #47
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Why is this even a topic? I was never that happy about the hamilton tenure as a flame, but he's a crucial part in how the flames roster looks today, in part due to the value he was able to demonstrate here.

Let's all move on and be happy with how things turned out.
I think fans are fascinated by the "people" side of pro sports. We know very little about most of these guys, and they are so wrapped up in what they do ... outside of charity stuff, it's not like you see these guys at the bar and hang around with them, right?

So it's kind of interesting and mysterious - was Dougie a crybaby who had a tantrum because his little brother wasn't simply put on the team, or was he a great team-mate who just needed a particular type of player (eg Gio) to really shine with.... we'll never hear the whole story.

To me it looks like a young guy with all the physical assets you could ask for, but he hasn't quite figured out how to really dominate the pro game. The flames sold "high" on him, and got good assets in that trade. No reason to hate the guy or boo him for sure, that's silly imho. I do think a lot of us wanted to see him play harder here, you want to see a giant guy like that being really hard to play against, like a Chara, right? And Hamilton just... isn't. So there's a little left-over taste of "coulda been" for me, anyway. Very glad the team moved on. Booumeester 2.0 we didn't need.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #48
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the fact that he could stand there and joke about the museum rumours says a lot about him. Good kid, great community involvement but for whatever reason he just didn't fit here and we profited from it. There is absolutely no reason to boo him and I will be very disappointed if fans do.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #49
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Were there boos when Jaybo came back? That's the closest analog I can think of.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:07 AM   #50
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's too bad Dougie's character has been brought into question through this entire process. I was never ever a fan of his specifically because of his on ice play, but he seemed like a nice guy. Probably on the reserved side, polite and maybe not in the typical mold of a professional athlete. But people really should lay off on the whole character assassination stuff, it's completely unnecessary.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #51
Angelino
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Fans in Calgary shouldn’t boo this guy. Save your energy to cheer all the goals the Flames are going to score against Carolina tomorrow.

Angelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #52
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
For a guy like Hamilton, I wonder how he feels in the aftermath of that trade. It must suck to see how your old team has surged in your absence. Does he wonder about what went wrong? Does he feel some responsibility for the team’s struggles that they have now overcome? How could one not feel even bitter about missing out on what is becoming a historic season?

I think these are feelings I would likely have in his shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He played very well last year. As a result we were able to get the return we did for him.

I wouldn't boo him or even GG. Without a combination of Hamilton's great play and GG ineptitude at head coach the measures Brad took would not have occured.

I would cheer him. He helped us in many ways, and I hope he is happy in his new spot guilt free.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #53
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently he doesn't even like museums, just something Shannon mentioned and it has taken on a life of its own.

Would never boo the guy.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:42 AM   #54
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

This feels like an odd debate.

If he's introduced or welcomed back of course you give him a round of applause.

If he's putting one behind Rittich, no, don't cheer him.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #55
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
He played very well last year. As a result we were able to get the return we did for him.

I wouldn't boo him or even GG. Without a combination of Hamilton's great play and GG ineptitude at head coach the measures Brad took would not have occured.

I would cheer him. He helped us in many ways, and I hope he is happy in his new spot guilt free.
I am not sure what any of this has to do with the questions I posed. I am interested in how players feel in these situations apart from their on-ice contributions and their value in a trade. Like I said, I can't imagine that it is easy for Hamilton to be part of what may be the one of the biggest trades in Flames franchise history seeing how it has worked out without him. I think that would suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #56
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

- Huge part of the Childrens Hospital and not for publicity but because he truly cared
- In years when most guys took steps back, he took a huge step forward. Sure he wasn't what people would like him to be (tough) but he was exactly as advertised.
- The only real knock was supposedly having a different personality than the majority of professional athletes and was more of a family guy than most.
- Due to his play while with the flames, was able to fetch a big return that has us in the position we are today.
- During some frustrating times as a flames fan, he created some fun in the post-game interviews.
- Although not in his control, he was good enough for Calgary to enter the sweepstakes when Edmonton appeared to be the front runner to get him. Calgary and Edmonton could be very different teams today had this trade went to Edmonton.

I will personally be embarrassed for the fan base if Dougie is booed for literally doing nothing wrong and being the piece that has made this team what it is.

Ferland deserves a standing O and as much as I wanted to see the flames acquire him for this playoff run, it sounds like he enjoys being out of the spotlight in Carolina and I hope he gets exactly what he wants and isn't forced to be a suitcase for the next 6 months.

Someone who had as big of a part at the Childrens Hospital as Dougie did in such a short period of time should not be booed.
Someone who played up to and beyond their potential during a year of players playing well below potential should not be booed

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #57
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Thread title should be changed to ‘Should Flames fans boo Hamilton?’, poll added, and the result will be 99% no, because there is always 1 ding dong out there

Weird that that is now the essence of the thread.

I wanted to see Hamilton moved and he was. It worked out. So well.

Still weird to me that people talk about his perceived ‘improvement’ here. He was exactly here when the Gio what he was with Chara. Similar productivity, propped up by a truly elite partner, and someone recognized by the team as moveable.

No ill will, nor should there be
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #58
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Thread title should be changed to ‘Should Flames fans boo Hamilton?’, poll added, and the result will be 99% no, because there is always 1 ding dong out there

Weird that that is now the essence of the thread.

I wanted to see Hamilton moved and he was. It worked out. So well.

Still weird to me that people talk about his perceived ‘improvement’ here. He was exactly here when the Gio what he was with Chara. Similar productivity, propped up by a truly elite partner, and someone recognized by the team as moveable.

No ill will, nor should there be
While not the point of the thread, I think it was important for many to share their collective thoughts which can hopefully prevent a couple of people who thought booing him was the right move.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #59
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I thought the trade for Hamilton was a good one at the time and totally get why the Flames traded him away, and easily in hindsight the right move for team chemistry. Impossible to tell if it was the departure of Gulutzan or the removal of Dougie, or arrival of Lindholm, or even if James Neal is the catalyst that is making the Flames a better team.

Regardless, from what I could see, Hamilton was a good guy, a solid player who earned the $$$ he was paid. I really hope that both Hamilton and Ferland get very warm receptions at the dome.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:06 PM   #60
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
It's too bad Dougie's character has been brought into question through this entire process. I was never ever a fan of his specifically because of his on ice play, but he seemed like a nice guy. Probably on the reserved side, polite and maybe not in the typical mold of a professional athlete. But people really should lay off on the whole character assassination stuff, it's completely unnecessary.
For those who haven't, google Thea Roelofsen. People without character don't do what he did for her and her family.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote