Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Are the Game Threads broken?

Does anyone else think we can do a lot better with the game thread? Don't get we wrong - I like venting in the thread as much as the next guy (actually i probably like venting more than the next guy) and the current thread format is really great for that. But if I want to do any of the following, the game day thread falls far short:

1) Using the GT as a way to catch up on a game. If I tune into the game late, the GT does not currently act as a way to get a feel of what's gone down thus far. Even something as simple as "are we winning because of goaltening, luck, domination, refereeing, etc?" is impossible to decipher from the current thread.

2) Reading the thread posts while watching the game is impossible. You can not do all of the following in the GT: post in the thread, read the entire thread, watch the game. It's hard to just keep up with the thread and watch the game simultaneously - even if you don't post. That means most people are literally just posting in the thread and not reading more than 10-20% of the posts.

3) Have a conversation about the game as it occurs. There is just way too much noise in the thread to have any type of conversation - even one as simple as "was that a fair penalty call?". Its devoid of content. These issues get worse in the playoffs as the active user base swells.

Given the above issues, just curious if theres any appetite to change the format of the GT. Just spit balling here but an easy way to fix the issues is to put a "per user post limit" in the thread of say 5 posts a game. That would slow down the number of posts, increasing the quality of posting and allow for an actual discussion to take place.

Thoughts? Sorry in advance if the majority thinks this is a stupid topic.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I usually just post/check the thread at whistles. And instituting a post limit doesn't make any sense. I think you expect too much from the GT.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watch on Center Ice and it usually seems to be a minute or so behind the cable/broadcast feed. So I'll be peaking in on the GT and see a "Mony!!!!" and I'll be happy knowing a goal is coming... or "FFS Smith!" and I'll be dreading the inevitable.

Mostly GTs are okay I think, much saner place to hang out during a game than last year.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are fine as they are.

People post in the GT the same way as they cheer at hockey games.

Some are boisterous and loud and sometimes border on unbearable. Some are quiet and mainly talk about the play. Some say nothing.

I think it would be just as bad to tell someone how to cheer as it would be to tell someone how to post.

If at a game you think someone has gone over the threshold, you can complain to the usher. If in the GT you think someone is over the top, you can complain to a moderator.

But as far as I am concerned, those who complain about someone complaining in the GT are just as bad as those who complain.

People don't know how to ignore anymore or how to address complaints.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 04:45 PM   #5
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, the game threads and post game threads have been broken for years in a sense. They're gonna move fast and furious with more and more folks active, that's just how they work now. Instituting a per thread limit or time between posts would probably just frustrate people? Who knows. I have no solutions.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

It’s the internet, it’ll do whatever it wants to do
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #7
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I mean, the game threads and post game threads have been broken for years in a sense. They're gonna move fast and furious with more and more folks active, that's just how they work now. Instituting a per thread limit or time between posts would probably just frustrate people? Who knows. I have no solutions.
I think there already is something like a 15 second wait between posts.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #8
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shows you what I know! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #9
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the GTs. After moving overseas I really started to miss watching Flames games with fellow fans and posting in the GTs helps to fill that void. I usually follow and post in the GT during every game I watch, either repeatedly hitting F5 or catching up on posts during the commercials and intermissions, and have no issues following what is going on.

My only real issue with the GTs is they can sometimes be hijacked with repetitive negative posts. If you want to discuss Smith letting in a softy or Neal missing the net go for it but leave it at that. There is no need to go off on rants about how certain players are ruining the season especially during one of the best seasons ever.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #10
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I find it funny that people complain that the same issues keep getting raised during game threads (Smith, Neal, Refs, etc). To those that feel it should not be brought up repeatedly, I ask, do you complain about your commute to work (or other reoccurring annoyance) once and then never speak of it again, or do you mention it every time your asked how your day was. I don't mind the whipping boys being brought up repeatedly, because they keep brining it to the attention of the fans, so it's worth commenting on. It's "what's happening" in the game. Refs missing calls, and Smith letting in muffins = Commute sucked and people do stupid stuff.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #11
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Game threads are perfectly fine unless Mike Smith is in net. Then it becomes insufferable. The fact Smith breathes the same oxygen as they do makes them angry. It's unrelenting negative energy that is sometimes warranted but most of the time it's just loud noises like kids banging pots and pans together. Mostly because they want mom to give them a cookie but there are none so let's throw a tantrum.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #12
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like them, it’s like watching a game in a bar you get cheering during the play them bits of discussion in the commercials and real discussion in the intermission.

I don’t think anyone of the three things is the purpose of the game thread.

I think it’s to feel a sense of community while watching the game alone while your kids are sleeping. And it does a good job at that.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #13
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They are very broken. They area missing Shawnski's goal lights.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #14
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I feel like I am jinxing the team by watching, I rely only on the game thread. When I refresh and a whole bunch of new pages have come up, I know usually it's a goal. So, I appreciate them.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:34 PM   #15
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I personally think they're fine. People get emotional--watching sports is a huge stress reliever for some folks so they can get a bit boisterous. Such is life. If certain people seem to annoy me, that is precisely what my ignore list is for
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASP#26525 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #16
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Game threads are perfectly fine unless Mike Smith is in net. Then it becomes insufferable. The fact Smith breathes the same oxygen as they do makes them angry. It's unrelenting negative energy that is sometimes warranted but most of the time it's just loud noises like kids banging pots and pans together. Mostly because they want mom to give them a cookie but there are none so let's throw a tantrum.
Even when he's not playing it can get bad with the constant "Smith would have let that shot in." comments. Last night was ok though.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #17
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think it’s to feel a sense of community while watching the game alone while your kids are sleeping. And it does a good job at that.
This is huge for me, too. Not the kids sleeping part, but the being alone part. I appreciate the community a lot, makes it so much more fun to watch a game Also makes me feel closer to home.
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASP#26525 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 05:44 PM   #18
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would just like people to stop commenting on OOT games in these things.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #19
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
I would just like people to stop commenting on OOT games in these things.
Oh man. Especially the Oilers. I swear flames fans talk more about them than actual Oiler fans. I'm the the kind of guy who really doesn't want to hear about them at all. So when you get the media fawning over them all day and then try to watch a Flames game and still cannot get away from hearing about them,it's beyond frustrating.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #20
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

That and I often watch OOT games after, and don't want to be spoiled