Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #21
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrader View Post
Maybe Coach of the year!
With the post track history of receiving this award. I really hope not, the nomination will be fine with me!
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #22
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok CP, I'm starring this thread.

The majority of CP's actual thoughts on Bill Peters:

Quote:
I think he's a good coach, but only when we're winning. Every good thing I just said about him will be turned to a negative if we start to lose.

If we aren't successful in the playoffs, suddenly the good first half of the season is a combination of luck and playing against easy opponents. You are an idiot for hiring him Treliving.
Duly noted CP.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #23
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think it in context it was impressive. The guys asked about if he knew much about the players and one of them had the flames roster sheet. Peters took it and rattled through the entire roster giving his 2 cents. It was impressive of how much he knew about depth players and prospects.

I agree in hindsight, at the time I was preparing to be disappointed
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #24
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are so many things to like, but just sticking with the broad strokes, let's look at the major frustrations under Gulutzan, and how Peters compares:

1) team played a slow game, which killed the offense (27th overall)
2) they were boring (seriously considered not renewing my STs)
3) despite the commitment to possession, they were terrible defensively (19th in GA)
4) the D wasn't active enough, and were under-utilized offensively (146 pts from D)
5) the bench management, and in-game adjustments, were... well there weren't any

So far with Peters:

1) the team plays an uptempo game (currently 6th in GPG)
2) they are far more entertaining to watch, win or lose
3) they are vastly improved defensively (currently 3rd overall in GAPG)
4) the D is much more active (on pace for 199 pts, despite trading Hamilton)
5) bench management infinitely better (subjective, and just my opinion)

Let's keep in mind that the team had a pretty slow start (5-5-0), with some struggles in net. It's also fair to assume an adjustment period to the new coach and new system. But since the PIT game on Oct 25th, the Flames are:

16 - 5 - 2 (.739 W%, 121 PPG pace)
#2 overall record
T2 in regulation wins
#5 GPG
#1 GAPG
#2 goal differrential (+28, TB +30, with 2 more games played)
#8 shots for per game
#1 shots against per game

All of these stats scream elite. And none of them suggest luck or unsustainability.

The only grade we can give Peters to this point is A+. It is of course, still very early. But 33 games into the season, he sure has been impressive so far.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #25
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
2) they were boring (seriously considered not renewing my STs)
The level of boring was ridiculous. Honestly, there is no way I would have watched one, let alone both of these weekend afternoon games, if he was still coach. I wasn't even watching Tuesday night games while my kid was at girl guides and I had full TV control. I don't know how you STHs mustered the perseverance to continue attending.

But thanks to BP, I'm not only watching again, I'm watching afternoon weekend games and thoroughly enjoying them. Bill "Fricken" Peters indeed.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #26
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Peters could be entering into the Jack Adams conversation if the Flames keep playing like this
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #27
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

For years since Bouwmeester was acquired, there's always been talk of the Flames having one of the best Ds on paper. The problem was translating it to on the ice.

Peters has managed to make that come to fruition. The Flames really do have one of the top Ds in the league finally.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #28
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
For years since Bouwmeester was acquired, there's always been talk of the Flames having one of the best Ds on paper. The problem was translating it to on the ice.

Peters has managed to make that come to fruition. The Flames really do have one of the top Ds in the league finally.
Have to keep naming Huska too when talking about this. Especially considering he's helped Kyllington and Andersson in Stockton.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #29
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK, plus minus is a suspect stat but you still need to be doing something right to have gaudy numbers. Three Flames in top 7 including 2 co-leaders!

(#1) Lindholm & Giordano @ +21, (#7) Brodie @ +19. Oh and Backlund and Gaudreau tied for 23rd @ +12

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?repo...sort=plusMinus

Last edited by edslunch; 12-16-2018 at 08:40 PM.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #30
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
OK, plus minus is a suspect stat but you still need to be doing something right to have gaudy numbers. Three Flames in top 7 including 2 co-leaders!

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?repo...sort=plusMinus
The team has a +29 goal differential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:42 PM   #31
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have to agree, he is a coach who actually knows how to pull strings and it has worked so far
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:24 AM   #32
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Love the focus that Peters is getting out of this team. Great example came in the St.Louis game yesterday: gaudreau just scored to restore the 4 goal lead. A couple minutes later, there’s a clip of gaudreau going over a play on an iPad with the coach and monahan. Gaudreau and monahan are talking it over and clarifying something on the play with each other... in a 5-1 game. It’s not smiles and joking around about how good they are... it’s all business till they get the win.

It may not seem like much... but it’s two guys that are absolutely crushing this league right now but seem to be totally focused on getting the details perfect every shift. It was also seen in the comeback against Philly: Monahan scored the tying goal and was getting his hair scruffed up by guys on bench and patted on the back... but monahan was just focused on the next shift. He knew they needed another goal to win and that was all that seemed to be in his head when all that was happening.

I give credit to the players and the coaches for getting this level of focus and intensity out of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 04:50 AM   #33
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was just happy when they started scoring on power plays.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:07 AM   #34
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I was just happy when they started scoring on power plays.
I look at New Jersey last year vs this year and I dont think it's a coincidence that Ward changed teams. Even when the Flames are not scoring the way this team moves is night and day.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:23 AM   #35
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

said it before, but one of the things I really like is his trust in young players, especially on the blueline. Between Valimaki, Andersson and Kylington we've had 2 rookies in the vast majority of games and Peters clearly trusts them (Rasmus is always out there late when we need a goal). Factor in that Hanifin is still so young too ... pretty amazing.

Huge credit to Huska as well.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 07:08 AM   #36
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is the team many of us expected a few years ago but as posted above Gulutzan actually managed to neuter the strengths of the team. I think Peters has done a fantastic job but I think part of the reason he looks so good is because the guy he's replacing was so bad. I think this Flames team could have had similar success over the past few seasons with a better coach than Gulutzan.

I really like how he hasn't been scared to play rookies on the blue line. It seems like this organization going back to the Sutter days has really resisted giving young defensive prospects a good look in the NHL preferring to ice below average veteran players instead. Under any other coaching staff there's no way Stone would have been spending all that time in the press box in the first few months.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 12-17-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #37
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I also like that it seems the D generally have the green light to go and that in exchange for that, everyone has to bust their ass without the puck and on their way back.

Peters knows the game has to be played uptempo, and with that comes the risk of mistakes. Gulutzan seemed to want more to be careful. Taking time to evaluate your options is often time the other team can use effectively as well.

Even with respect to the puck handling by the goalies, while I don’t like Smith’s decision making a lot of the time (too many passes to one guy covered by 3, and the odd direct turnover), Peters’ point was that having a goalie who plays the puck often makes the other team have to change their forecheck. He accepts that mistakes will happen there but it is a net positive (no pun intended)

He has brought back some of the good elements that Hartley brought and GG threw in the round bin, but actually has a kick ass roster to rely on as well.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #38
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

One thing that really stands out for me, is how well this team forechecks. Their tenacity on the forecheck and their puck pursuit is incredible. They are like a pack of hungry wolves on a piece of meat. They seem to win the vast majority of the puck battles.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #39
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I seem to notice how much faster the team is moving the puck up the ice. It’s as if the directive from the coaches is that they don’t want to see the pass back and forth between the defencemen more than once if necessary. Under GG, the d-men were passing it back and forth 3-4 times while setting up an entry into the zone. The old system maybe lead to fewer turnovers (though I really don’t see that) but also meant that the other team always had plenty of time to set up and prevent a clean entry.

stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #40
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
I seem to notice how much faster the team is moving the puck up the ice. It’s as if the directive from the coaches is that they don’t want to see the pass back and forth between the defencemen more than once if necessary. Under GG, the d-men were passing it back and forth 3-4 times while setting up an entry into the zone. The old system maybe lead to fewer turnovers (though I really don’t see that) but also meant that the other team always had plenty of time to set up and prevent a clean entry.

And it seemed like they were doing it in slo-mo even though we had fast skaters. It drove me nuts to watch that for 2 years. Zone entries were so pathetic.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote