Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2018, 06:19 AM   #1
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Pittsburgh blowout - a tale of two records since

After Pittsburgh scored 14 goals against Calgary (9-1) and Vancouver (5-0), their record has been dismal since - falling all the way down to last place at one time during that stretch.

They went 2-7-2 (6 points).

Calgary fortunes on the other hand have gone exactly in the opposite direction, going 8-3-1 (17 points) and grabbing top spot in their division.

I think that the Pittsburgh game was a wake up call for the Flames and a coaching moment that Peters has exploited brilliantly since - Calgary's defense has been much improved since that game.

Thoughts?
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's pretty amazing in-spite of Neal and Smith that this team has done so well. We have a really solid core. Tkachuk and Lindholm have turned up their games to 11, Johnny is being Johnny and Mony is finally healthy. Not to mention Gio and Brodie are playing as good as any top pairing defense in the league.

Could you imagine if we had been playing Rittich all season and Neal had 10 goals? Scary.

This could be the year. I hope Tre makes a couple moves here to put us over the top.

Last edited by Phagoof; 11-22-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Peters stated that he completely revised the system after the Pitts game.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:53 AM   #4
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
It's pretty amazing in-spite of Neal and Smith that this team has done so well. We have a really solid core. Tkachuk and Lindholm have turned up their games to 11, Johnny is being Johnny and Mony is finally healthy. Not to mention Gio and Brodie are playing as good as any top pairing defense in the league.

Could you imagine if we had been playing Rittich all season and Neal had 10 goals? Scary.

This could be the year. I hope Tre makes a couple moves here to put us over the top.
Granted Smith has probably cost the Flames at least 6 points but what had Neal done to cost the Flames wins? He hasn't scored and has been a bit of a disappointment but they certainly aren't winning in spite of him. They are winning despite him not contributing which to me is a good sign as if he gets going they will be that much better but really I don't see how he's going to get going playing on that line with those linemates. It's like how we kept waiting for Bennett to break out last season on that line. 3rd line really isn't a spot where you expect a player to break out offensively because he's playing with two players that also aren't scoring consistently if at all.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-22-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #5
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
Peters stated that he completely revised the system after the Pitts game.

Which is just smart coaching - always looking for what works, for what motivates your team (and at this level, that's key). A great coach is always tweaking their approach to stay fresh.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #6
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
but what had Neal done to cost the Flames wins? He hasn't scored and has been a bit of a disappointment but they certainly aren't winning in spite of him. They are winning despite him not contributing which to me is a good sign as if he gets going they will be that much better but really I don't see how he's going to get going playing on that line with those linemates. It's like how we kept waiting for Bennett to break out last season on that line. 3rd line really isn't a spot where you expect a player to break out offensively because he's playing with two players that also aren't scoring consistently if at all.

I don't think Phagoof was suggesting that Neal has been costing us wins... I think he's saying that imagine where we'd be if Neal was scoring at last years pace.

I think the great hope was that Neal would turn our third line into an offensive juggernaut as well. But I think we also all thought that he'd be on our first or second line.
The Following User Says Thank You to JackIsBack For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #7
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
After Pittsburgh scored 14 goals against Calgary (9-1) and Vancouver (5-0), their record has been dismal since - falling all the way down to last place at one time during that stretch.

Calgary fortunes on the other hand have gone exactly in the opposite direction, going 8-3-1 (17 points) and grabbing top spot in their division.

Thoughts?
Seen Space Jam? The Flames stole the Penguins talents, we're the Monstars.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2018, 08:16 AM   #8
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Sidney Crosby being out for a stretch played a factor.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #9
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post

Yes.... but they're still a good team without him. Imagine what Edmonton would be if McDavid went down for any length of time - they'd be a last place team (in the league) and I don't think I'm overstating (or understating, depending how you look at it) that prediction at all.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #10
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
He only missed 3 games (they went 0-2-1 in those games). They were 1-5-1 in the games between the Vancouver win and his injury.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:09 AM   #11
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I actually don't mind not seeing Neal score goals during the regular season even through it would be nice. I'd rather he get on a hot streak in the post season because it's where it count's the most.
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:10 AM   #12
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's pretty amazing in-spite of Neal and Smith that this team has done so well.
Keep grinding that ax Phagoof.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #13
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
He only missed 3 games (they went 0-2-1 in those games). They were 1-5-1 in the games between the Vancouver win and his injury.
I would assume that his "upper body injury" was nagging for a while and finally sat out some games to heal properly. Will be interesting to see how they play their next 10.

I know Murray's hasn't been playing well either.

I definitely think that game woke Calgary up, I just know how valuable Crosby is to the Pens.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:44 AM   #14
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Smith has been the only issue this team has aside from maybe tightening up the PK (which has improved). Neal is not scoring but is hardly a hindrance to the team at this point and to be honest, I don't expect him to score much unless he's seeing time with the teams top 3 or 4 forwards. He's never been the type of player to create much on his own so why expect it here?

I hope Tre sits tight and allows this team to unfold as it is. If the goaltending can hold up under Rittich there is no reason to make trades and screw up chemistry that is building. Let it ride with a weak division that this group may very well dominate if things continue.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #15
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bingo pointed this out elsewhere, but our team D has been a huge factor in the improvement.

Up to and including the Pittsburgh game, we were allowing 16.13 High-Danger chances / 60, comfortably in last place. In the games since, we're allowing 8.97, good for fifth.

As far as our goaltending goes, I think it'll go a long way towards both Rittich maintaining his form and Smith recovering his form if we can keep the chances against down.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:05 AM   #16
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:

I think that the Pittsburgh game was a wake up call for the Flames and a coaching moment that Peters has exploited brilliantly since - Calgary's defense has been much improved since that game.

Thoughts?
I don't think our success correlates with the blowout to Pittsburgh. That was just a bad night for the team which can happen to any team on any given night. I feel we've been playing good all season and playing pretty consistent considering this is a new coach, new system, poor officiating, and Mike Smith not playing well.
The one thing I do believe is since the Oilers game we've almost gained a momentum of "swagger" which hopefully is a turning point to the season and elevates us to real contenders. It reminded me of the time we played the Canucks under Hartley and had a line brawl to start the game. Torts went into full meltdown mode and the Canucks were never the same for the remainder of the season. Hopefully we thrive and Oilers dive.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #17
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I hope Tre sits tight and allows this team to unfold as it is. If the goaltending can hold up under Rittich there is no reason to make trades and screw up chemistry that is building.

I couldn't agree more.... maybe some tweaking around the edges, but the extreme edges.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #18
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
I don't think our success correlates with the blowout to Pittsburgh. That was just a bad night for the team which can happen to any team on any given night. I feel we've been playing good all season and playing pretty consistent considering this is a new coach, new system, poor officiating, and Mike Smith not playing well.

You know.... I think I agree... BUT... sometimes you still need something to spark a team so they can take it to the next level. I think this game was that spark - I think we could have gone either way after it, and the coaching staff and players took us in the right direction.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #19
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yes.... but they're still a good team without him. Imagine what Edmonton would be if McDavid went down for any length of time - they'd be a last place team (in the league) and I don't think I'm overstating (or understating, depending how you look at it) that prediction at all.
They'd be a last place team in the AHL without McDavid.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #20
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames have been pretty good for the most part, all season. But the confidence and belief wasn't fully there yet. Also, some bad goaltending set them back a couple times.

Two steps forward, one step back.

Then three things happened (IMO):
1) the PIT game woke them up
2) Rittich stabilized the goaltending
3) the Oiler game gave them swagger.

I think they're an upper echelon team the rest of the way. The depth is there, the talent is there, the D is there. If the goaltending holds out (and I believe it will), this is a really good team.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote