Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #21
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He's right to question. Kid should be developing at responsible pace. He's going to be great, but not if we ruin him.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #22
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Get the kid some minutes/confidence in Stockton.
It's a great story for sure that he's here but he isn't prepared and that's going to derail his development just like Lazar and we can't do this to prospective players .

We're deep in depth finally so doing the damage makes no sense. Peters comments arent shocking....just an honest assessment.

It's not.like him throwing lack under the bus.

I like Peter's and this would be the best for the player and the team (Stockton)
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #23
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Odd to say this to the media, but I think he’s probably preparing expectations and rationale for the upcoming demotion. If Dube plays another game, this could also be Peters challenging him to make an impact or he’s going down.

I do like the way that Peters references the lack of minutes - essentially blaming himself / bearing responsibility, and not bashing the first year pro.

Overall, we have a handful of players who could step into Dube’s position and perform similarly. He may develop into a solid NHLer, but his impact has really shrunk away after preseason, and there are plenty of guys who can give similar performances. At least I’m glad that he made the opening roster based on merit, and we got to test him out.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #24
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Dube is slotted in tonight; this will be probably be a decision-making game for him.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #25
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Kristen Anderson @KdotAnderson
Interesting topic of discussion brought up today by Bill Peters on Dillon Dube: "He's going to play tonight but we've gotta decide. We have to make a decision at some point, is this the right thing for him as a first-year pro?"

Peters: "The thing with Doobs is, are we giving him enough of an opportunity? That's the question we're going to sit down and talk about at some point."

Peters: "When you're coming off a concussion, you never know how guys are going to react. It takes a bit of time. We'll factor that into the decision making."

Peters also was asked if he is putting himself in vulnerable positions: "It's quick, right? ... If he's hanging onto it too long, then you're vulnerable to getting hit. If someone's putting it into your skates and you're not executing, the you're vulnerable to getting hit...
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peters is essentially echoing what many of us have been saying for a while. Send him down and let him get a lot of ice time in Stockton. He needs a bit of physical maturing and needs to get some confidence back in his game.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #27
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Edit: DP
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #28
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

On the flipside, Dube has to hear this and might try to find another gear on his own regardless of the ice he's given.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #29
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, they should've sent Dube down 5-10 games ago.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #30
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think this is a good move by Peters
1. It prepares Dube if he is sent down, that it is for his development/best interests
2. Alluding to the concussions is a rationalization that take some blame away from Dube, but also gives him clear feedback (get better at making decisions with the puck)

Who they call up depends on how they view the makeup of that 4th line moving forward.
Do they keep Hathaway in with Czarnik - the callup sits/relief duty
Do they rotate Hathaway/Czarnik/the callup depending on matchup - the callup plays occasionally, short term callup
Do they want a guy to come in and lock down that 4LW spot - the callup is worked into the system

For option 1 - may as well call up a guy like Peluso, keep the other guys playing
For option 2 - call up a more veteran player like Quine, Graovac
For option 3 - take a good look at what you want that line to do and work out who deserves a long look - Mangiapane (when fit), Rychel, Lazar, etc.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #31
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Peters is actually letting it be known that he has come to the conclusion that Dube a bottom three right now, so the NHL isn't right for his development. Which in turn suggest one of two things:

1) He wants to try a different player with XXXXX-Ryan-Neal. XXXXX is not Dube or Frolik or Hathaway or Jankowski. In this scenario, the answer is Mangiapane or Foo or Czarnik. I'd guess Mangiapane because he's more of a play-maker than the other two, which is something Neal could benefit from.
or
2) He wants to have a fourth liner that can play a more grindy, in-your-face role for 5-8 minutes a game. In this scenario then the answer is Rychel, Lazar or Lomberg. One could a make case for any three of them...Rychel has a great shot, and potentially could have some offensive chemistry with Jankowski. He can play an in your face style game. Lazar perhaps has his confidence back and becomes the player we need. And if he was the last cut, he should be the first call up. Or Lomberg adds another element to Hathaway, Tkachuk and Bennett as a player that can muck things up. If Peter's like his team to be pesky, this is the way to go. Lomberg would contribute to this team's identity as an "in your face, relentless team" if that's the way Peter's wants to go.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #32
Samuelsson
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Cue a Doobs hattrick tonight.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #33
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know that it was an especially fair time to make that statement or that good a game to judge Dube on - first game back after his injury, in a game where 5 on 5 time was way down.

If there is a more normal game, and he still shows rust, sure. But before he went down, frankly I would have been more inclined to send Jankowski or Czarnik down. I thought Dube outplayed both.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:55 PM   #34
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Send him down. Try again in February depending on how either team is doing. If he still hasn’t improved enough, than send him down again and try next season. But at this point he’s not adding to the team, where as maybe someone else could add additional scoring.
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #35
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Mangiapane is still a PPG player for the Heat correct? Maybe not the worst idea. I think Dube has been fine, just not finishing and he's a step or two off (even before the injury).

Edit - Mangiapane still hurt
Edit - Also, does that sound like Peters is speaking to Treliving through the media? Weird quote.
To me it sounds like a coach who sees absolutely nothing negative in the player's trajectory. Maybe we should send him down but there is zero shame in that. That's how I interpret it.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #36
Samuelsson
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Agree with both Toonage and Displaced.

It is a weird thing to say, but not a negative thing. It's only weird because in pro-sports we're often not used to this much transparency. I'm a fan of Peters coming out and giving it crystal.

Edit: clear, not meth.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #37
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Im guessing that Peters and Treliving have already had the discussion and are still debating the right answer.

No more and no less.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #38
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

nothing wrong with pumping the brakes on Dube's NHL career... Some players should spend more time in the minors and i think they'd have been better off with that additional development time...

I am sure he knows how highly the organization thinks of him... just need to play more, and that's easier to do in the minors
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #39
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Honestly, they should've sent Dube down 5-10 games ago.
I think he was injured so they couldnt.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #40
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sending him down is good for both Dube and Czarnik..

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett
Frolik-Ryan-Neal
Czarnik-Jankowski-Hathaway
Peluso

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Andersson
Prout-Stone

Rittch
Smith
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote